“Good tour, but could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #105 of 219 Tours in Charleston
Orlando, Florida
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Good tour, but could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

6 of us attended the tour with Jack and it was informative. At times he was difficult to hear, so a portable microphone would have made a considerable difference. The tour moves along at a nice pace and really provides ample opportunity for some wonderful photographs.

Jack takes a "you are there approach" to the tour, which can sometimes be confusing. My imagination can't multitask, so while he's trying to take us back 100 + years, I'm still focused on what the modern day incarnation is. It would be helpful if he discussed the history in more modern terms and then gave a brief overview of how the building or area evolved to the way it is today. I will give Jack kudos for carrying around a binder that has some wonderful historical photos that he presents on the tour so you can see the before and after of a building or neighborhood. Amazing to see how the area has changed and still retained so much of its' essence.

All in all, it's a good tour that covers a great deal of historical Charleston. We enjoyed it and picked up a copy of his book.

Visited July 2013

Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Jack is fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I was on one of the private tours with Jack and the man is phenomenal. He really puts you into the mindset of being in Civil War Charleston and how the overall economy of the south functioned. I am reading his book now and it follows up well from the tour. I had been in Charleston many times but it will never be the same after the insight Jack brought of the city and region. The private tour is a special treat for civil war buffs including educators and researchers.

Visited July 2013
Dallas, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Walk on the "Safe side" of the Street!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

My wife and I love to take city tours. We have toured dozens of cities and you will not find a tour hosted by a more knowledgeable guide. Jack Thomson is a rare find. He shows you some of the most interesting places in Charlestown's Civil War past and tells you about the people who lived and died there. You learn to walk on the "safe side" of the street to avoid the Yankee shelling from five miles away. He shows you pictures depicting the houses that got blasted and then the houses as they are today. You have to listen closely. His tour is not a canned speech. The more questions you ask... the better your tour will be. This is no "canned speech" tour; with Jack you live in history. Civil War photographs are his passion. Ask about buying his photographic history of Charlestown. It is fascinating reading. Great city tour.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank CBlack3
Purcellville, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding tour of Charleston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Took the family on Jack's Civil War tour of Charleston. We have been on many walking tours in other cities but this was by far the best we have experienced. Jack is very knowledgeable, friendly and tells the story of the city in a very engaging manner. He has pictures from the war and presented them at the actual location to show the then and now.

Friendly, charming and enjoyable. Following the tour he spent additional time with us to discuss the local history.

HIGHLY recommend Jack!

Visited June 2013
Sayre, PA
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Waste of time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

First, let me say our tour was not with Jack but we ended up with another man. We were there at 9am as had not been told any different when we called day before but never left until after 9:30. I've done a walking tour in Charleston before and this was very low in comparison. The guide would walk for over a block leading the way but not saying a word as we passed many interesting sites. I even had to ask about a home that took a direct hit on the waterfront ( learned the info from my previous tour ) and then he said, oh yeah, and proceeded to talk briefly about that history. The biggest insult was the man left us far from the starting point and gave us directions to get back ourselves! I love walking tours but spend your money on a different one !

Visited April 2013