“Very pleasant staff, decent rooms, good stay”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Boston area, MA
“Very pleasant staff, decent rooms, good stay”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went down for the Renaissance Weekend. The walk is a little too far for women in high heels, so we ended up taking cabs for $6-$10 each way. Other than that, all was fine. Safe neighborhood. Didn't have time to check out the gym, which looked small but OK. The lobby restaurant served breakfast with Starbucks coffee. Not clear there was much else, but Charleston has quite a few decent adventurous restaurants.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank letsmakeadeal
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear letsmakeadeal,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us during the Renaissance Weekend Conference and for being a top contributor on TripAdvisor.

I can definitely see how navigating the sidewalks to the Renaissance Conference could be difficult in high heels as many of the sidewalks are uneven and are many years old. These sidewalks are a part of the history of Charleston though and have become part of its charm. I would also agree that cab fare around the city is extremely affordable and allows our guests the ability to take this mode of transportation if the weather if cooperating or if walking is not an option.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will stay with us again during the conference next year.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very clean and the front desk and concierge were on the ball. This hotel is pretty close to where we needed to go but a little pricier that i would have liked. Overall great experience.

Ask for a high floor .

We will stay here when we come back!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank DeckerLaw
Dear DeckerLaw,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us from Florida.

It is great to hear you enjoyed the service provided by our front desk and concierge services. We are also glad we were able to turn you into a repeat guest with our service and will look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Charleston.

Thank you for your business!

Ypsilanti
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel as a post-cruise hotel. I was looking for a hotel in the historic downtown area for a one-day sat before flying home. I was able to walk from the Carnival Fantasy cruise ship to the hotel very easily. The hotel is at Calhoun and Meeting streets and was very easy to find. Check-in was very easy, and the front desk employees were so friendly! I had arranged to store my luggage at the hotel until check-in (since I was to arrive before 9 am), but they surprised me by having a room ready that early (WOW!). I had arranged with concierge Andrea the week before by phone for a walking tour, so I put my luggage in the room and went out walking to explore before the 11 am tour. (The location of the hotel was wonderful, near the Fort Sumter boat dock, historic district, and airport bus stop! I also felt pretty safe walking alone after dark.) Concierge Kevin got me a dinner reservation as well and recommended a deli for lunch near the Fort Sumter boat dock. I asked for a quiet, nonsmoking room and got it. The room had great wifi and a nice work desk. The room also had a fridge. The room had a great shower with good pressure and nice towels. Negatives of the room were the dim lighting, a constantly whirring fan in the bathroom, the very firm bed, and the so-so TV (no printed channel guide I could find, hard-to-use remote, lackluster reception and channel selection). The room wasn't cheap (I paid $144 + tax) and didn't come with breakfast, but the great location and amazing concierge service made my stay worthwhile.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and got a room with a view of the pool (and it was quiet)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ChemTeacherTraveller
Dear ChemTeacherTraveller,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us after your cruise.

I would agree that our location is perfect for a stay before or after departing on a cruise as it allows you the ability to walk directly to and from the cruise terminal. The service provided by our front desk and concierge services is something we pride ourselves in and it was great to hear that we exceeded your expectations in both of these areas as well.

I am glad you were able to enjoy our room amenities and found our location to be close to everything you wanted to see. I am sorry our TVs did not meet your expectations, but we do have a channel guide accessible on the main menu channel of all of our TVs. We will definitely address the other issues you experienced with our engineering department, so that we can continually improve as a hotel.

We hope you will come back to Charleston for a full vacation next time and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was in town for a wedding this past weekend and we chose to stay at the courtyard rather than the residence inn outside of the historic downtown where the room block was. We checked in late Friday night and were told that we had to park across the street and we would be charged $16 a night for it. I wasn't too happy to be paying $16 to park my car across a 4 lane road at a church. If you make me park out there myself I shouldn't be paying for it.

The room itself was very large and quite nice. The vent in the bathroom could have used some cleaning. I didn't have a microwave in the room but went down to the lobby to use the microwave that's part of their little convenience store to pop some popcorn and it was quite dirty inside.

Other than those minor things I really enjoyed the stay and the location is very good. As about everyone on here has mentioned Kevin the concierge was wonderful. We didn't have much time in Charleston but he set us up on a nice tour and gave some great dining recommendations. He even provides you with directions which seems unheard of in this GPS driven day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron G
Dear Aaron G,

Thank you for your feedback and staying with us here in Charleston.

We are one of the few downtown hotels in Charleston that has it's own parking garage as well as access to the lot across the street. This offers our guests the convenience of not having to park in a city parking garage and pay high rates as well as paying every time you go in and out. Our hotel leases the spaces across the street from a local church and thankfully we are still able to offer them to our guests at our regular parking rate.

I apologize about the cleanliness of your bathroom vent and our lobby microwave. We have addressed these issues with our staff to ensure that they will not occur again.

It is great to hear that these minor issues did not alter the enjoyment of your stay at our hotel. We hope to see you back in Charleston again soon.

Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is what I have come to expect of most Marriott properties- There is an abundance of updated décor and a serious management led dedication to guest satisfaction. The lobby greets you in the current bistro theme, sleek and engaging with places to sit....everywhere. The staff is quintessential Marriott, friendly, fast and efficient. The rooms are dressed in the newest brand colors and deep rich wood tones. We had a corner room that was set off by a huge pair of near floor to ceiling windows overlooking Calhoun street and Marion Park (room 228 if you can get it).
The mattresses are nearing replacement or should be, although that may be my years of hard living coming back to haunt me.

In spite of all of the Marriott efficiency, the great location and execution, the real reason to stay at this location is found in the main lobby. Kevin McQuade (the head Concierge) can be found seated at his desk imparting an exuberance about the Holy City that is hard to replicate or describe. His knowledge of the unseen Charleston is encyclopedic and is often backed up by dog eared visual aids that he produces on cue. He has invested himself in the city and in the knowing of small interesting things about the city- and he'll tell you- both.

Excellent. Show up for the consistent excellence of Marriott but stay for the (often cited) unparalleled Concierge.

Room Tip: 228 for a good view of the church and park.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear horizonlight,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and staying with us on your trip from Georgia.

Service is always our first priority here at our hotel and it looks like we executed this to the level we would like to achieve during your stay. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in almost every facet.

Kevin is definitely invested in our city in a way that not many people can say they are. He knows every back alley and small piece of history that you would never get to see on any tour of the city. His visual aids, pictures, maps, and menus only enhance the experience and give our guests an even better understanding of the Holy City. We are glad he was able to share his knowledge with you during your stay.

Thank you for your business!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

A friend and I visited charleston for New Years. We randomly decided on this hotel, but it was perfect. Ideal location (halfway between the touristy market street and the bars/restaurants/parties on upper king). The other notes on TripAdvisor about the concierge, Kevin McQuade, are spot on. He totally enhanced our experience, made fantastic dining recommendations and got us on the best city tour I could've asked for! Stay at this hotel and see Kevin, you'll have a good time!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katiemilr01
Dear Katiemilr01,

Thank you for our feedback and staying with us on your New Years trip from Washington, DC.

I hope you enjoyed ringing in the New Year in Charleston and took advantage of our prime location that you noted in your review. Kevin McQuade is a must-see when visiting our hotel and it is always great to hear the impact he makes on our guests. It sounds like he made sure you had a fantastic time in Charleston and started 2014 the right way!

Please come visit us again soon in Charleston and thank you for your business.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a great hotel but what really makes it stand out is Kevin McQuade the head concierge-it's a full service concierge-they will book your tours and restaurant reservations for you. Every recommendation he made was spot on! The location is also decent-downtown but right across from a gas station for those driving.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the higher floor they have balconies!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deannread
Dear deannread,

Thank you for your feedback and being a senior contributor on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear that Kevin took care of your every need and that his recommendations were exactly what you were looking for. Kevin has the ability to really "make things happen" as opposed to just pointing you in the right direction and this is what keeps bringing people back to him time and time again.

We hope you had a safe trip back to Boston and please come see us again soon.