“The best staff, great hotel!”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The best staff, great hotel!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Visited Charleston 2 weeks ago for our Mama's 65 b-day, had never been before. After a long drive and poor weather, we were ready for a better trip. Pulled into the Visitor's Center to inquire about what to do, where to stay, etc. (Randy, at the Visitor's Center was wonderful - so very kind and helpful). We decided on the Courtyard by Marriott so we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see. When we got to the hotel, we were greeted by Candice at the front desk. She was an absolute delight! So kind, so helpful and she went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we could have wanted during our stay. Every day she had a huge, beautiful smile and an answer for every question we asked. She was a superstar! Every staff member in the hotel was kind, happy and eager to help us with anything.
The hotel was very clean, well decorated and had a great location. Walking distance to every thing in the historic district. We fell in love with Charleston and would love to go back. I know when we do, we will stay here again! Thank you Candice and staff!
Mama Lou and her girls!

1 Thank lvgrls
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear lvgirls,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your recent trip from Tennessee.

It is a great to hear that your enjoyed our hotel so much when celebrating your mother's birthday. Your comments about Candace, our front desk Superstar, are something we will be sure to share with her. Candace is a tenured employee here at our hotel that has really honed her customer service skills to make sure each employee enjoys their stay with us. It is absolutely fantastic that her service is one of the main factors that will bring you back to our hotel again in the future.

Thank you for your kind words about Candace and our hotel. We hope to see you back in Charleston soon!

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel during a girls weekend away in Charleston. Check in was smooth and after check in we visited the concierge, Kevin. I had read reviews about him on tripadvisor and told my girlfriends we should stop and chat with him. I have traveled frequently with work and for pleasure and Kevin is by far the best concierge I have ever experienced. He went way above and beyond to make sure we had the most wonderful time in Charleston for the weekend. He immediately recommended restaurants, booked our reservations for the entire weekend and booked a tour for us. He also provided us with small note cards he had typed up for each restaurant with directions from the hotel and his recommended dishes. He also had several recommended walks for us to take and even a list of nice public restrooms, just in case. Also, our first night, Kevin walked around the city with us to point out some sites at night. He did this on his own personal time and we greatly appreciated this intro to the city. Kevin is well known throughout the city and it is worth staying at this hotel just to take advantage of the connections he has at restaurants that are hard to get reservations at. All restaurants he called accommodated us. He has 'standing' reservations at many restaurants.

The hotel was within walking distance to everything in the historic district and we did not need a car. If you are venturing out to the plantation, Kevin would be able to help coordinate that trip.

The bistro in the lobby was convenient for our morning coffee before we started exploring for the day.

I am a loyal Marriott guest and this hotel and it's staff really made our girls weekend a true pleasure!

Room Tip: GO SEE KEVIN!!!!!! He will make your weekend PERFECT!!!!
1 Thank ErikaAB77
Dear ErikaAB77,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your recent trip from Virginia.

Kevin is everything the reviews on TripAdvisor say about him and so much more. Our front desk staff is constantly encouraging people to spend just a few minutes with him because of his ability to completely change a guests' experience in Charleston. It sounds like Kevin was able to get you set you up with his famous bathroom map, get you into the most popular restaurants, and even describe the best dishes on each menu.

Our Bistro, located in our lobby, is definitely a great place to grab a Starbucks before heading out for the day or a cocktail for dinner in the evening. With 8 different beers on tap, it offers the chance to try a local brew before even leaving the building.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back in Charleston soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I must preface this review by saying that I am still currently staying at this hotel entering my 2nd day in Charleston with my new wife for our first Valentines Day together. We had originally planned to stay at another Marriott Property but I am glad that those plans fell through.
I have stayed here 2 years ago for an extended period of time and I found that the customer service was simply second to none and this hotel staffs an impeccable concierge team that even after 2 years, is still here. I must also say that I'm not the person to spend time writing a review on Trip Advisor but in this case, I couldn't even wait until checking out from my stay to write a review.

We arrived yesterday early, around 9am and I was surprised when Jessie at the Front Desk said that not only was our room ready, but I had been upgraded to a balcony room on the top floor. After an 8 hour drive from Virginia Beach, I found it quite convenient that I was able to go right up to my room and crash. I have NEVER been able to check in almost 8 hours before check in at any other Marriott Hotel even as a Platinum Elite member. Not only was I able to check in early, not only was my room upgraded, but Jessie also made sure of a few other perks for me as it is my last weekend as a Platinum member.

Last night the bartender Daniel was quite helpful at pointing out several seafood restaurants through out the city he also provided friendly conversation. I am entering into day 2 in this city, and I can't wait to go talk with Kevin Mcquade at the Concierge desk to find out about the hotspots that I would surely overlook without his guidance.

This will be the ONLY hotel I will ever stay at in downtown Charleston. I just simply cannot envision myself staying anywhere else in the city.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for your overwhelming endorsement of our hotel.

"World Class Customer Service" is an extremely high compliment and something we will be sure to share with all of our staff. We will be especially sure to let Jessie and Daniel know how much you appreciated the service they offered you. These employees continually go above and beyond for our guests to ensure they have a wonderful stay with us here in Charleston.

We look forward to your next trip to Charleston and hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District this past weekend on a girls getaway. The room was nicely sized and had good amenities. There were a few things missing from the room that I would have liked (towel rack in bathroom/mirror over the desk) but these things are minor.

The staff is what makes this hotel great! The ladies at the reception desk were friendly and helpful. We arrived very early but they took good care of us to have us check in and sit with the concierge. Kevin, the concierge was also helpful. He gave us a great map of the city and recommendations for food and tours.

We walked everywhere and felt safe. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end in the corner. We had to move rooms due to some noisy guests.
1 Thank AmyTravels720
Dear AmyTravels720,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a top contributor on TripAdvisor.

A girls getaway weekend is a great reason to take a trip to Charleston and I am glad to hear you found our hotel to be the perfect spot to do so. We will definitely take a look at your recommendations for the items you would like to see added to our guest rooms. This feedback allows us to continually improve and meet our guests' needs.

We hope you had a great time on your girls getaway and that you will choose our hotel the next time the group needs to getaway.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here on a recent trip to Charleston with the family. The location of the hotel is very convenient to Market Street (but 4 blocks) and the Historic District of Charleston. Hotel room is average size compared to other Marriott Courtyards. Room was quite and clean. Parking at $16/night was a little excessive. Cannot comment on the quality of breakfast as we chose to drive over to the Isle of Palms to one of my favorite spots there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear DaddyScholz,

Thank you for your recent feedback and for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor.

Location is crucial when booking a hotel room in Charleston, SC and it appears you found ours to be right next to everything you wanted to see. The Market, the shops on King Street, and all of the historical sites of Charleston are just a few short steps from our front door.

Parking is definitely tight in Charleston as it is such an old city with smaller streets and lots. Our hotel is one of the few hotels downtown that has its own parking garage. This allows our guests to come and go as much as they like for $18 a day. The cost is much higher at the other hotel garages run by the city who also charge you every time you take your car out.

We hope you will choose our hotel on your next trip down from Greenville!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights on our stopover to Charleston. Well located, one small block to King St shopping, about 15 minutes walk to beautiful east bay waterfront. Very walkable place. Plenty of restaurants around the area but nice and quiet. The room is very spacious, we got a king bed and a couch and work desk area. Lots of power plugs, hair dryer, very comfy bed, good AC control. The concierge, Kevin is super knowledgeable and very helpful. He recommended an amazing restaurant for us and organised our rides. All the staff are very friendly and hospitable. Thad the bellhop was also super friendly and helpful. Made us feel very welcome and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear VBPUFF,

Thank you for your recent feedback and for being a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor.

We are so glad you chose to stay at our hotel on your trip all the way from Australia! It sounds like you were able to experience many of the great amenities our hotel has to offer to include our location, comfortable beds, quality air conditioning, and the numerous electrical outlets our rooms offer. You also mentioned Thad, our bellman, who does an incredible job of making our guests feel welcome right when they walk in the front door. He is a true asset to our hotel and someone our guests love to speak with.

We hope to see you again in Charleston soon!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We were only in Charleston 1 night and booked this hotel through hotel tonight. The hotel was clean and modern and while we were on the road we called the infamous concierge Kevin and he was helpful and made us our dinner reservations. When we checked in, the front desk was friendly and courteous. The room was pretty and clean. But there was a terrible mildew smell in room number 336. We never complained because we checked in at 630 pm and we checked out at 10 am. But be weary of the smell. We would definitely stay here again because it was a perfect location, but I will make sure to ask for a room without a smell next time.

1 Thank Nikpass
Dear Nikpass,

Thank you for your feedback and staying with us using the HotelTonight App.

I am glad you were able to experience the wonderful service offered by Kevin McQuade, our Chief Concierge, as well as our Front Desk staff. I am very sorry we were unable to meet your-or-our expectations on the freshness of your room. I can assure you that we will address this issue immediately with our housekeeping staff immediately so that we do not have any future issues with smell. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to address this issue.

Please contact me directly at grant.hoskins@interstatehotels.com when booking your next trip to Charleston and I will ensure your room is of the highest quality.