“Great Service in a Great Town”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“Great Service in a Great Town”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I'd highly recommend this as the destination for your next trip to Charleston. First off, in a city known for its Southern Hospitality, this place really sets the bar. Everyone is friendly and genuinely happy to be working at this great hotel. It is safe to say that when it comes to customer service, this place exceeded my wildest expectations. Second, this place was super well-kept and clean. Every time I went in/out of the hotel, somebody was cleaning something. They really are attentive to keeping things looking great. Third, this place is in a great spot. A couple of blocks off King St., I parked my car on a Friday and didn't go back to it until we were leaving Sunday - you really can walk anywhere you want. And if you're feeling a little tired, grabbing a rickshaw is a fun thing to do! Fourth, this place is super-reasonably priced. You can easily pay a lot of money to stay at some other hotels, but for what you get here, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with better value, in my opinion.

So, in sum: Great customer service, super clean, awesome location, and great value. Highly recommended!

2 Thank Nathan W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice and within a 10-15 minute walk of most major attractions. What makes this hotel stand out is the concierge, Kevin McQuade. Kevin made our trip exceptional. All of his recommendations for restaurants and tours were the the highlights of our trip. Kevin is enthusiastic about his job and wants everyone to have a great experience in Charleston. He has taken the time to create custom maps that take you off the beaten path and show you parts of the city that most tourists wont see.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Arrived late at night and left my kindle charging on the desk. Left early the next morning and forgot my kindle and charger. Realized that I had left it there about 3 pm the same day and called the hotel. Manager was very nice but after investigating for a couple of days basically said his folks could not have done it and inferred I must be wrong. I absolutely know I left it there and this is ridiculous response from a Marriott hotel. I travel all the time and have left things before and they are always returned. Do not stay here - lots of sticky fingers who will steal your stuff. I know I am never staying here again and will try to avoid Marriott too. This is atrocious customer service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy F
GHoskins, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Amy F,

We do empathize and share your frustration over the missing Kindle. We have over 150 items per month turned in by our Housekeeping Department so Lost and Found is a priority for us. We interviewed the associates who cleaned the room, interrogated the lock to see if another key had accessed the room, and searched in hard to reach areas in case it had fallen behind the furniture. I apologize for the lost Kindle and wish we had been able to locate it. As is evidenced by our Trip Advisor rating, we take Customer Service very seriously. We depend on the honesty and warm hospitality of all of our Associates to maintain our reputation in the Charleston Market. Again, We apologize for the problem you experienced.

Beryl Rice
new york
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Seriously….the concierge, Kevin McQuade, made the stay here totally worth it, even though the room was small and ordinary. He listened and made suggestions and itineraries each day that allowed us to experience so much more than we would have in planning on our own. Truly tailor-made for us! The scope of his knowledge of the city and surrounding areas and the photos and information he has to share allow you to become immersed in the city in a way that I don't think would be possible elsewhere. His passion for this beautiful place is infectious! We cannot applaud him loudly enough and we are very grateful. I suggest that you call a few days before you arrive and talk to Kevin and he will have a folder waiting for you when you arrive.

4 Thank mim318
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear mim318,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip from New York.

I would agree that Kevin allows our guests to have an experience that you truly can not find anywhere else. You are also right on point that his passion is extremely infectious. He gets our staff and guests so excited about Charleston and everything that it has to offer, which really allows you to appreciate the city that much more.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your business!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Charleston and had an awesome time. The Marriott was a nice hotel but what made the experience truly great was the concierge Kevin. We met with Kevin our first morning in the lobby and after 20 minutes he had fun and exciting activities planned for us everyday we were there. Kevin gave us maps of the Charleston with great photo spots and beautiful sites to see that you would normally bypass. He made great suggestions on Plantations to visit as well as set us up with a great walking tour of the city. Another highlight was the sunset boat tour, where we got to walk on a beach that seemed to be out of a movie. With one phone call, Kevin got my wife and I dinner reservations at a restaurant that was completely book for the night. That's what the restaurant told me when I called the day before. Kevin even took us on a personal night tour of the city himself. The city is just as beautiful at night as it is during the day. I highly recommend staying at the Marriott because of Kevin, especially for first timers to Charleston.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Chris G,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your first trip to Charleston.

I am so glad to hear that your first trip to Charleston was such an enjoyable experience. It seems Kevin did a wonderful job of setting you up with all of the best tours to go on and was able to get you into a restaurant at the last minute. The sunset boat tour is definitely a must for anyone visiting Charleston for the first time and I would also agree that the city really does light up at night in a beautiful way.

We hope you will be a Charleston regular now and that you will come back and see us soon!

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I are loyal to Marriott, but will be trying another location next time we are in town. The facility was very nice, no complaints. Check-in was at 4pm, we arrived at 4:45 and were not able to check-in until 5:30. No available clean rooms. We stayed on the 2nd floor and had a nice private balcony that we enjoyed at night.. If you plan to stay at this hotel, you should avoid the first few floors. The noise from Meeting street was VERY loud. Overall, not a bad experience, but we will try another location in the future.

2 Thank tylerperk
Dear tylerperk,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience at our hotel due to the noise from Meeting Street. Our guests usually enjoy a very quiet nights sleep on this side of the hotel, but being in a city environment we do always run the risk of a large vehicle or emergency responder passing by the hotel. The balcony rooms on this side of our hotel also offer a beautiful view of the garden next door and are routinely our guests favorite rooms. I hope you were still able to enjoy the rest of your time in Charleston and were able to take full advantage of our central location.

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We chose this hotel largely due to the reviews on tripadvisor and it was a good choice, check in a breeze, everyone is very friendly and helpful. We walked to everything in the historic district and the room was great. What more can you ask for other than free parking. Great Marriott I would go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear lttharder,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip from Colorado.

It is great to hear that our hotel met all of your expectations and offered you a very enjoyable place to stay for your trip to Charleston. Thank you for your business and for using TripAdvisor to help make your decision when booking your trip.