“Awesome Service”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel is like many Courtyard Marriotts; the rooms are clean and roomy enough for two people, the bathrooms are likewise clean and comfortable (the hotel has been recently updated/renovated). The hotel is located within walking distance to most of Charleston historic district although it is on the perimeter and we made good use of the bicycle pedicabs. We enjoyed the rocking chairs on the hotel's porch and the pool was also very inviting. The awesome part of this Marriott, besides the friendly front desk and housekeepers, is the services of the concierge. Concierge Kevin McQuade and his colleague, Andrea Brennecke, were the best source of information about every detail of Charleston tourism. Kevin has apparently put together his detailed knowledge of Charleston and the area into a cohesive and exhaustive database that they share with tourists. Every recommendation was fantastic! We dealt mostly with Andrea who is a great people-person,and has experienced everything that she recommends. The concierge is the secret gem of the Marriott Charleston!

4  Thank LRGE
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Really lovely rooms with modern marriot recent renovation throughout - I had trouble working the air. The fan wouldn't stay on and kicked back and forth from cold to stuffy nothing. Pool area is nice and my view into the pool area is possibly the better type rather than the street. Hd large screenTV works great. But my remote needs a battery change - or the entire thing needs replacing You can charge your phone next to your bed A BIG PLUS FOR US THAT TRAVEL coffee facilities are nice. Although there's no cups in my room? Checking in was perfect except the design of the building made voices carry so I would train staff to lower and soften their tone a bit. That's being picky but it would make this fantastic hotel better. The hotel is situated 2 blocks from king st which is a fantastic position although if you are a women traveling alone consider something closer should u be nervous walking around at night in the dark. I would thoroughly recommend booking here and look forward to returning. Great firm king bed nice pillows and duvets

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aussiebab
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Historic District Courtyard, is an easy walk to everything in Charleston, both sights and restaurants. Hotel comfort and staff professionalism were very good, but the real reason to choose this hotel over any other accommodation in town is Concierge Kevin McQuade, who shares the results of his own detailed knowledge of sights and restaurants. We especially recommend Mr. McQuade's After-Dark Walking Tour, which he personally leads (at a fast pace -- not for the sedentary), and his private map of the Top 20 Photo Ops. We felt that we got much more out of our Charleston visit than would the average visitor.

2  Thank 39greybeard
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I'd highly recommend this as the destination for your next trip to Charleston. First off, in a city known for its Southern Hospitality, this place really sets the bar. Everyone is friendly and genuinely happy to be working at this great hotel. It is safe to say that when it comes to customer service, this place exceeded my wildest expectations. Second, this place was super well-kept and clean. Every time I went in/out of the hotel, somebody was cleaning something. They really are attentive to keeping things looking great. Third, this place is in a great spot. A couple of blocks off King St., I parked my car on a Friday and didn't go back to it until we were leaving Sunday - you really can walk anywhere you want. And if you're feeling a little tired, grabbing a rickshaw is a fun thing to do! Fourth, this place is super-reasonably priced. You can easily pay a lot of money to stay at some other hotels, but for what you get here, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with better value, in my opinion.

So, in sum: Great customer service, super clean, awesome location, and great value. Highly recommended!

2  Thank Nathan W
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is nice and within a 10-15 minute walk of most major attractions. What makes this hotel stand out is the concierge, Kevin McQuade. Kevin made our trip exceptional. All of his recommendations for restaurants and tours were the the highlights of our trip. Kevin is enthusiastic about his job and wants everyone to have a great experience in Charleston. He has taken the time to create custom maps that take you off the beaten path and show you parts of the city that most tourists wont see.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jay2012
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Arrived late at night and left my kindle charging on the desk. Left early the next morning and forgot my kindle and charger. Realized that I had left it there about 3 pm the same day and called the hotel. Manager was very nice but after investigating for a couple of days basically said his folks could not have done it and inferred I must be wrong. I absolutely know I left it there and this is ridiculous response from a Marriott hotel. I travel all the time and have left things before and they are always returned. Do not stay here - lots of sticky fingers who will steal your stuff. I know I am never staying here again and will try to avoid Marriott too. This is atrocious customer service.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy F
GHoskins, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Amy F,

We do empathize and share your frustration over the missing Kindle. We have over 150 items per month turned in by our Housekeeping Department so Lost and Found is a priority for us. We interviewed the associates who cleaned the room, interrogated the lock to see if another key had accessed the room, and searched in hard to reach areas in case it had fallen behind the furniture. I apologize for the lost Kindle and wish we had been able to locate it. As is evidenced by our Trip Advisor rating, we take Customer Service very seriously. We depend on the honesty and warm hospitality of all of our Associates to maintain our reputation in the Charleston Market. Again, We apologize for the problem you experienced.

Beryl Rice

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Seriously….the concierge, Kevin McQuade, made the stay here totally worth it, even though the room was small and ordinary. He listened and made suggestions and itineraries each day that allowed us to experience so much more than we would have in planning on our own. Truly tailor-made for us! The scope of his knowledge of the city and surrounding areas and the photos and information he has to share allow you to become immersed in the city in a way that I don't think would be possible elsewhere. His passion for this beautiful place is infectious! We cannot applaud him loudly enough and we are very grateful. I suggest that you call a few days before you arrive and talk to Kevin and he will have a folder waiting for you when you arrive.

4  Thank mim318
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear mim318,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip from New York.

I would agree that Kevin allows our guests to have an experience that you truly can not find anywhere else. You are also right on point that his passion is extremely infectious. He gets our staff and guests so excited about Charleston and everything that it has to offer, which really allows you to appreciate the city that much more.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your business!

Grant Hoskins