“Great Courtyard in a great location”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
“Great Courtyard in a great location”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my family of five. The staff was very friendly. The concierge (Kevin McQuade, I think) was very informative about things to do while visiting. We had fun riding bikes through the historic district thanks to his advice. The room was clean and comfortable. The Starbucks in the lobby was convenient. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Perfect location to enjoy the historic district, we walked everywhere from here. It is far enough away from the tourist crazy to be accessible but not impact your sleep. The front desk staff was awesome, super friendly and very helpful. The rooms were average, what you would expect from a Marriott. The wins for this hotel are the staff, location, and front porch to relax on.

texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

the hotel is located not far from the center of the historical district. It is a short walk to everything. but because of the heat and humidity in June, walking is only a pleasure in early morning and late afternoon. King street is only 2 blocks away and there are quite a few less touristy restaurant in the north end of the street. The hotel is a little bit above the usual Courtyard standard. A hop actually greeted me in the driveway when I arrived and helped with my luggage and the same thing happened when I checked out and tried to load up. There is actually a very good concierge service which gives very specific information about sightseeing and restaurants. You paid for your own partly self service breakfast which I found to be most acceptable since I did not eat much and certainly did not want to pay for a whole buffet.( whether directly and indirectly through the room rate). A good choice since I know what to expect in Marriott rather than being surprised in boutique hotels which at times could be disappointing.

1 Thank hohoho1
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear hohoho1,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor.

The heat in Charleston can be tough in the middle of the afternoon, but does offer a great opportunity to spend this period of the day checking out one of Charleston's historic homes or museums throughout the city. A boat trip to Fort Sumter or an afternoon at the South Carolina Aquarium are also two other great options.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our Bistro Restaurant and the ability it offers our guests to order a la carte. It has so many great options ranging from a full American breakfast to a freshly baked muffin from local Saffron Bakery just down the street.

Thank you for your business and for choosing Marriott on your travels!

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My first time in South Carolina, so first time for this property. On checking in at 4:30 in the afternoon, asked if any rooms with a king-size bed were available. Being 6'7, 61 and a Parkinson's patient, a good night's sleep is rather important, especially since this was a trip to interview for a customer service manager at a health care provider. The answer was instantly "Nope". Didn't check the system, no alternatives suggested, just a flat "no". Being in customer service and interviewing for such, maybe my sensors were on high, but not a good first impression. The room was comfortable (except the bed was a little short) and clean - no complaints.
The next morning, at the coffee counter, I was attended to by the nicest person I met this trip. I'm sorry I did not catch her name, but a mature lady, with some disability in one of her arms. I saw her again this morning, and received the same big smile and friendly hello - kuddos to this ambassador for Mariott!
Last evening, I asked for a late check-out as I was interviewing again this morning, and would return to the hotel around 1:00. "Nope" - housekeeping had a strict rule on that, I was told. My interview was about 3/4 mile from the hotel, and walking in a suit in the warm and quite humid Charleston morning works up a good sweat, especially for someone from the desert southwest. A shower would have felt great, and my apologies to the people in my row on the flights home. I ended up changing in the restroom at the hotel, and of course, in the middle of it all, the fire alarm sounded. And so I'm changing my shoes and socks on the front stoop of the facility - I again apologize to the other guests, but had no alternative
Saw great reviews for the concierge staff, but disappointed at their recommendation for a very casual, non-touristy (read inexpensive) place for a beer and a little seafood. $35 for one beer, a bowl of crab chowder and a crab cake appetizer was not inexpensive. No accolades for the "helpful" and well informed staff. Need to work on those customer service skills.

Room Tip: Check well in advance for a king bed. Arrangements were made for me and they realize a little extra...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric P
Dear Eric P,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip from the United Arab Emirates.

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate your request to switch to a King room at check-in. Our hotel was sold out during your stay and therefore did not give us the ability to make any room type changes for our guests. We are also more than happy to accommodate late checkout requests when we have the ability to do so, but were unable to do so due to business demand on the day of your checkout. We will definitely work with our Front Desk staff to ensure we are communicating both of these items in a more professional and considerate way.

Our entire Bistro team takes great pride in the customer service they offer and are constantly looking for ways to connect with our guests on a daily basis. It sounds like you experienced the high level of service they offer and we will definitely let them know how much it meant to you!

Please contact me directly at grant.hoskins@interstatehotels.com for your next trip to Charleston and I will ensure we have you in a king room and that you are able to enjoy the wonderful experience we do offer at our hotel.

Thank you for your business!

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We spent the weekend in Charleston celebrating our anniversary and crammed just about everything we could into 3 short days. Kevin, the Concierge at the Courtyard Marriott, absolutely made our trip into everything we could have imagined and so much more. He was completely knowledgeable about every restaurant, tour, and photo op in town. He set us up with reservations at every restaurant we went to (and was able to get better times than we were on our own!) and with Anne Herron for our historic walking tour. He also supplied his own maps of Charleston with the best photo locations, bike trails, and even PUBLIC RESTROOMS! This guy really knows his stuff and believe me, it came in handy. We completely trusted him to make our trip memorable and he surpassed our expectations. We will definitely be visiting again and are looking forward to working with Kevin to plan many more memorable trips!

Charlotte
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I took my cousin here for a little vacation. We loved we were in walking distance to pretty much all the sights and restaurants. Just remember to bring good walking shoes. The bistro was nice as our first night we were still trying to get our bearings and had snacks there. Starbucks coffee in the morning too. Then we went to Kevin, the concierge who helped us narrow down our options of what to see in our short stay. He gives maps of everything and is very knowledgable. The rooms were nice and clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank grnid13
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This CYM was in a great location for a visit to historic charleston. Walking distance to everywhere. The staff is as good as you will see anywhere including front desk and concierge. Room was spacious and very clean. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business