“Great Location in Historic District” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Wilson, North Carolina
“Great Location in Historic District”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our first trip ever to Charleston, SC and I did lots of research about where to stay. We decided on the Courtyard in the Historic District. It was a good choice and we enjoyed our stay.
1. Called ahead and talked to Kevin the Concierge - he was a very busy man on July 4th weekend but he left me a message to call his cell phone which was the day we were headed to Charleston. I went over some things I had in mind and he gave me details and lots of good information. I hate we didn't get to meet Kevin but Andrea was very helpful as well. They are very knowledgeable about what to do in the area with maps to go along. :)
2. We booked a 2 queen bed suite with a pull out sofa. The room size was very accommodating for the 5 of us. The pull out sofa wasn't the most comfortable but the beds were very comfortable. There were 5 of us on our stay and we always had to ask for extra towels and wash clothes because they only left enough for 4 people each time in a suite. Our suite had a bedroom and a wall that separated the living area and eating area. It was big enough for an L shaped sofa and the eating area had a nice size table with 4 chairs. They did not offer complimentary breakfast but have a Bistro in the lobby where they prepare breakfast that you can purchase but it was very pricey. There was a McDonalds about 6 blocks away which you had to drive to but it was very busy so we only got breakfast one day from there. There is a Chick Fil A Express about a block and a half away which was within walking distance but the cost is higher to me than normal.
3. The Courtyard is one block from King Street which was nice. It has lots of restaurants and shopping (Five Guys, Mellow Mushroom, Subway, Urban Outfitters, Williams Sonoma, etc). It was nice to be able to walk one block over to get lunch or supper when we were in the area from our other outings and felt comfortable walking in this area.
4. We toured the USS Yorktown and it was nice to see all the history. We did the 2 hour walking tour with Ann Herron and she was very pleasant. She is very knowledgeable about Charleston. We were able to go down beautiful alleys, cobblestone streets and into a wonderful building and on and on. It was well worth it and we ended up in her garden for some wonderful lemonade. You have to do the tour with Anne Middleton Herron!
5. We went to the Magnolia Plantation which was nice. We did the swamp tour first like the hotel recommends. We also did the train ride around the property which is 45 minutes long and toured the grounds (don't miss the small zoo with the deer walking around). I'd recommend doing the train ride only and not the swamp tour - you see some of the same areas on the train ride (alligators, turtles). Do the train ride and enjoy the grounds!
6. The thing that we were surprised about with the Courtyard was the small outdoor pool. The teenagers and my husband used it once and it was fine. We were gone most of the time anyway touring Charleston!
7. Parking areas was always crowded but they have extra parking across the street which was nice. The road was sometimes busy to cross but lots of parking there.
We did go to Isle of Palms one afternoon and it was very nice but crowded. Overall, it was a very nice trip and we were able to see a lot of Charleston. If you want to stay in the Historic District, the Courtyard by the Marriott is the place to be.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Braswells

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Kearny, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Best Courtyard I've ever stayed in. The hotel rooms were roomy & modern. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that they had internet problems when I was there & couldn't access too much over WiFi & in the business center. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: All room are above the first floor. That's how good the hotel is. One of my biggest pet peeves i...
Tolland, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Rates were reasonable. Staff was very friendly. Rooms were very nice. Good gym facilities and a nice outdoor pool area especially for a downtown hotel. Would definitely stay here again. Have stayed at the Renaissance downtown and found these rooms comparable to those.

Acushnet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice. Staff was very welcoming - particularly the woman in concierge. The staff in the dining room for breakfast was very friendly and engaging. Room was nice. Location is a little removed from the center of it all but we are walkers so it was not really a problem. Plenty of onside parking. I'd stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stay in Charleston, SC last weekend. My rate was over $300 with tax. The hotel is simply not particularly nice - especially not in comparison to where you can stay for $300-400 in the same area of town. My wife and I are fun, and we don't get upset over much, but there were people making all kinds of noise in the hallway at 2am, which would not have been that big of a deal, but the walls must be pretty thin.

The bathroom is extremely basic, with a shower/tub combo. There is just nothing special about the hotel or the rooms. No complimentary anything, $18 parking, no one offered to help us with our bags, etc. No one was rude, but no one went out of their way to make our stay better. Just an average old Mariott.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tom G
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Tom G,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent trip from Tennessee.

I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations for the price you paid. We always want all of our guests to have a quiet and enjoyable night's sleep and am sorry you were kept awake by some of the other guests in the hotel. Marriott Courtyard hotels do not typically have bellman service as we are a select service hotel. Our hotel is fortunate enough to offer bell service during limited hours for our guests, but not throughout an entire day. We will definitely use your comments to help continue to improve the level of service we offer at our hotel.

We hope you will join us again at our hotel so that we can show you the experience and level of service we do offer to our guests. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back in Charleston soon.

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager
Summerville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent a week here during our fourth of July visit to Charleston. The hotel is conveniently located to all attractions and restaurants. The staff were so friendly and very accommodating. We had a room with a balcony in the newer section of the hotel. We had a wonderful view of a garden across the street. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff were absolutely amazing and so friendly, I cannot say enough about the staff. You will definitely feel pampered and spoiled here. The hotel has modern contemporary decor, a nice pool area, and a great workout room. I thought the room rates were very reasonable for everything this hotel has to offer along with its close proximity to area attractions, shops and restaurants. My only complaint would be that the elevators are slow, but that really didn't bother too much considering all of the positive features this hotel has to offer. I am looking forward to planning our next trip to Charleston and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank sandkanderson
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I enjoyed our stay here very much. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. The beds and pillows are so cosy. For me the best parts of this hotel are the location and the great helpful staff.
The hotel is a minute walk from King Street and there are so many cafés, restaurants, bars, shops and places of interest just a minute from the hotel. Across the road in The park is a lovely farmers market on Saturdays.
Parking at the hotel is on the small side, but there is an overflow lot across the street. In 10 days here, we have only needed to use it twice.
The Bistro is convenient and has a nice menu for grabbing a snack or breakfast. We haven't had dinner there, so cannot comment, there are too any great restaurant steps away!
There is a small pool and it gets fairly busy late afternoon. Towels are available beside the pool and the sun beds and chairs are comfortable.
The best part about this hotel is how helpful and friendly the staff are. I must pay particular attention to the housekeeping associates. Always saying good morning, stopping to acknowledge you and ask how you are, my husband was balancing quite a few bags and a housekeeping associate automatically came to his aid and helped him carry the bags to our room. Such helpful touches go along way. The rooms are spotlessly clean, so are all the public areas. The bedroom corridors smell like a bath and body works store, it's divine!!! I also noticed no one is on the corridors making noise early in the morning, which is much appreciated when on vacation. I don't think I can find any fault. I highly recommend this hotel. If I had to choose again in Charleston I would choose here time after time.

Sleep Quality