“Not cracked up to reviews”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Boone, North Carolina
“Not cracked up to reviews”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and the room was ok. It was in a great location, near the trolley stop. I had read many reviews talking about "Kevin the Concierge" and was not at all what he was cracked up to be. All I can figure is these reviewers have never traveled out of the country before and seen what a good concierge can do.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandcmom
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear sandcmom,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip down from Virginia.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and found the trolley to be very accessible from our hotel. I am sorry to hear that our concierge services did not meet your expectations during your stay. We will definitely use your feedback to look at ways of improving our concierge services and offerings.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back in Charleston soon!

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband, 3 children (ages 13, 11 & 7) and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott while we vacationed in Charleston. We researched several hotels and ultimately chose the Marriott because we read so many wonderful reviews of concierge, Kevin McQuade, and because it has a pool (we were going in July). To say that we were pleased with our choice would be a huge understatement. I will start with Kevin because he truly made our vacation a memorable one. Based on recommendations in other reviews of this hotel, I contacted Kevin roughly 1 week prior to our arrival to ask for suggestions of what to see and do and which restaurants we should try. Kevin nicely called me back on his own time (he explained that otherwise he wouldn't be able to give us his undivided attention while he was working the concierge desk) and spent an hour on the phone with me and my husband asking us about our interests and running some ideas by us. He then called us back the following day with a suggested itinerary. Once we agreed on the schedule, he nicely made our reservations for us. We hadn't left our home yet and we had this really fun itinerary in place that was tailored to our family's interests and tastes! We couldn't believe it. We didn't have to spend hours sorting through websites and reviews on "what to do in Charleston with kids." Kevin is so committed to making hotel guests' experience the best it can be that he insisted on coming in on his day off to go over our itinerary and give us all the directions/maps/tips we would need during our stay. As promised, Kevin sat down with us at 7:45 on our first morning in Charleston. He made sure we were more than ready for our Charleston adventure. My family ended up having a great time during our vacation! We loved each activity, as well as each restaurant Kevin recommended. I can honestly say that he made our vacation. I simply can't recommend Kevin enough. In addition, our room at the Marriott was roomy and clean and modern. We were in room 612. It is a 2-room suite. One room has 2 queen beds and the other room a couch, table and a small balcony. We had a roll-away bed brought in for one of our daughters. Lastly, the staff at the Marriott were friendly and helpful. All in all, it was a great hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

3 Thank Momintheham
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am writing this from my room at 9am while listening to men talking loudly, using a saw, and swinging a hammer on the 6th (top) floor. This is just not acceptable for this level of hotel and price. The work needs to be done after checkout time.

The location is nice, very convenient to lots of restaurants and the SC aquarium (highly recommended). Also, the staff was accommodating to our need to check in early, which was much appreciated. If not for those things, I would give 1 star.

Room seemed clean but musty, which I assume is due to the humidity. Beds are medium soft and didn't cause us to wake up stiff as a board.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank obxbride
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear obxbride,

Thank you for your feedback during your trip to Charleston from Virginia.

I am terribly sorry about any inconvenience the noise you experienced caused during the morning of August 1st. We have addressed the issue with our engineering team and can assure you that this will not occur again. I can completely understand how this noise would be disturbing and could not agree more that it is unacceptable at that hour of the morning.

I am glad to hear that you did enjoy the service offered by our staff and found the location to be convenient to wherever you wanted to go. Please contact me directly at grant.hoskins@interstatehotels.com before making your next trip to Charleston and I will make sure we set you up with the level of experience we truly offer at our hotel.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you soon!

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our first trip ever to Charleston, SC and I did lots of research about where to stay. We decided on the Courtyard in the Historic District. It was a good choice and we enjoyed our stay.
1. Called ahead and talked to Kevin the Concierge - he was a very busy man on July 4th weekend but he left me a message to call his cell phone which was the day we were headed to Charleston. I went over some things I had in mind and he gave me details and lots of good information. I hate we didn't get to meet Kevin but Andrea was very helpful as well. They are very knowledgeable about what to do in the area with maps to go along. :)
2. We booked a 2 queen bed suite with a pull out sofa. The room size was very accommodating for the 5 of us. The pull out sofa wasn't the most comfortable but the beds were very comfortable. There were 5 of us on our stay and we always had to ask for extra towels and wash clothes because they only left enough for 4 people each time in a suite. Our suite had a bedroom and a wall that separated the living area and eating area. It was big enough for an L shaped sofa and the eating area had a nice size table with 4 chairs. They did not offer complimentary breakfast but have a Bistro in the lobby where they prepare breakfast that you can purchase but it was very pricey. There was a McDonalds about 6 blocks away which you had to drive to but it was very busy so we only got breakfast one day from there. There is a Chick Fil A Express about a block and a half away which was within walking distance but the cost is higher to me than normal.
3. The Courtyard is one block from King Street which was nice. It has lots of restaurants and shopping (Five Guys, Mellow Mushroom, Subway, Urban Outfitters, Williams Sonoma, etc). It was nice to be able to walk one block over to get lunch or supper when we were in the area from our other outings and felt comfortable walking in this area.
4. We toured the USS Yorktown and it was nice to see all the history. We did the 2 hour walking tour with Ann Herron and she was very pleasant. She is very knowledgeable about Charleston. We were able to go down beautiful alleys, cobblestone streets and into a wonderful building and on and on. It was well worth it and we ended up in her garden for some wonderful lemonade. You have to do the tour with Anne Middleton Herron!
5. We went to the Magnolia Plantation which was nice. We did the swamp tour first like the hotel recommends. We also did the train ride around the property which is 45 minutes long and toured the grounds (don't miss the small zoo with the deer walking around). I'd recommend doing the train ride only and not the swamp tour - you see some of the same areas on the train ride (alligators, turtles). Do the train ride and enjoy the grounds!
6. The thing that we were surprised about with the Courtyard was the small outdoor pool. The teenagers and my husband used it once and it was fine. We were gone most of the time anyway touring Charleston!
7. Parking areas was always crowded but they have extra parking across the street which was nice. The road was sometimes busy to cross but lots of parking there.
We did go to Isle of Palms one afternoon and it was very nice but crowded. Overall, it was a very nice trip and we were able to see a lot of Charleston. If you want to stay in the Historic District, the Courtyard by the Marriott is the place to be.

1 Thank Braswells
Kearny, NJ
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Best Courtyard I've ever stayed in. The hotel rooms were roomy & modern. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that they had internet problems when I was there & couldn't access too much over WiFi & in the business center. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: All room are above the first floor. That's how good the hotel is. One of my biggest pet peeves i...