“Pretty good home away from home”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Daniel Island
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights while at Blackbaud training. The hotel provided transportation to and from the Blackbaud training facility along with airport, downtown, and area transportation if needed. This was my second stay here, the first being 5 years ago. The hotel has improved since my last visit. They no longer have smoking rooms which is nice. The rooms, especially bathrooms could use a little updating, maintenance. My a/c unit had a rattle that I fixed by putting in a piece of carboard on the vent. The area could use more places to eat because the only walking distance is the restaurant at the hotel and it is very expensive and not very good. Overall, I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: get a room with a view. I looked at a brick wall.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Second stay. Clean, friendly. Great for a quick trip when visiting family.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed several nights while attending a tennis event. The staff was helpful and friendly. Our first room was too close to the maids quarters. In spite of being full for the weekend they found us a "quieter" room (I am a very light sleeper). The rooms were clean and well kept. The free breakfast was more than adequate. We will stay here again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get on the top floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Henry4218
Reviewed 6 May 2011

This hotel provided just what I needed as noted in the title. I was on the third floor near the staircase, but never heard anyone going in or out. Never saw any "roaches" (Palmetto bugs?) as other people have noted. Don't know if this was due to the time of year or the higher floor room. The bed was plenty comfortable with a wide assortment of pillows to choose from.

I had no neighbors the first night, so it was super quiet. No idea if anyone was above me, but I never heard them. Second night I heard neighbors to the right of me as I stood outside my door, but once inside the room, I couldn't hear a thing. Later I did hear an awful clatter on the adjoining wall, but I figure something was accidentally dropped or scraped against it. Heard nothing more all night. I'd say the insulation in this building is quite good.

The gal at the front desk was pleasant when I checked in. I had no further interaction with management, so I can't really comment more. I also did not check out the breakfast because I was too busy the first morning and was in a hurry to leave the second.

I was in town for a Mount Pleasant triathlon and this location was convenient for that. It took 20 minutes to get to the race start in the morning. Convenient freeway access to Isle of Palms, Charleston, and Mount Pleasant. The island itself was very quiet the weekend I was there. Not many people out and about near the restaurants and shopping when I did venture out.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank mschuliger
Reviewed 23 March 2011

The manager & the daytime desk clerks were not accommodating at all. I asked about nearby restaurants, shopping. I got a list of upscale restaurants - none of which were nearby. I went out walking & found several little restaurants nearby & 2 grocery stores with delis. When i asked for a late check out (when I checked in) & offered to pay extra for it, they got really upset with me. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the lobby with all my luggage around me for 4 hours. Looked like a homeless person...nearly.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank IAwildrose56
Reviewed 25 August 2010

Was here for business related software training nearby on the island. Great location, easy to get to downtown and right next to my classes. There is an ok restaurant next door - wasn't too impressed but didn't have time to go downtown every night. The shuttle service is a big plus and I really appreciated the driver's local knowledge of nightlife. The gym was ok - everything I needed but a little cramped for space. Rooms were very clean and dry - with the humidity outside it was a nice difference!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank CaptCaribbean
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed on the first floor and went into the bathroom to get changed and the guy in the room next door was yelling through the vent in the bathroom (above the sink) to us. It scared us and we don't know for sure but think he had a camera looking at us, because when we cracked open the bathroom door, he whispered "psst" to us. CREEPY!!!! We promptly went to the front desk and the clerk switched our room, but be forwarned the vents are an area that should be evaluated. Hopefully the clerk reported it to the management.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple