“Great Stay Here For My Charleston Visit”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Daniel Island
Ranked #20 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 7 May 2009

My visit to the Hampton Inn on Daniel Island was for a 2-night stay from May 3-5, 2009. I arrived on Sunday afternoon to find easy check-in and my reservation in good order. I was assigned room 233, a standard 2-double bed room overlooking the pool area.

The room was very clean and fresh and the digital thermostat A/C worked very well with no musty smells (kept the room good and cold for me). This is a fairly new hotel location and it's all non-smoking, so this was terrific for my allergies.

Amenities in the room included a large tube t.v., lots of pillows for the two beds, iron and ironing board in the closet, desk with computer line, two telephones, hair dryer, shower massage shower head, coffee pot with coffee and tea packets, some toiletry items, and probably a few more little things I'm forgetting.

The lobby, relaxation area, and breakfast area was very nice and clean. Each morning, a very well stocked breakfast buffet was set out with both hot and cold breakfast items, and several juices and coffees to choose from as well. In the evening, they set out cookies and milk in the lobby for the guests as well.

I didn't use the pool area at all, but it was very nice looking from what I could see of it.

This hotel is located in a business district area, and you did have to drive just a short way to get to any fast food or convenience store locations, but they weren't but maybe a mile or little more distance. There was a rather swanky restaurant next door called Queen Anne's Revenge and while I got a take-out menu, I never ate there.

Overall, my two-night stay was very nice and I would definitely recommend this hotel for a nice stay in the area. It's also about 1/2 the price of the downtown Charleston hotels for about a 15-minute's drive away. The drive to the downtown area was very easy from here, and it was also located very close to Boone Hall plantation and also the Charles Pinckney park.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Kat_Cubs_fan

Reviewed 4 May 2009

This hotel is on Daniel Island so about 10-15 minutes from downtown. They have a shuttle if you want but the drive is not bad. Although it was a fairly new hotel, our room had a few things (shower handle fell off, cracked bathroom counter) that seemed odd. The front desk was cordial and discounted our room as they said that AAA did not apply at the hotel? We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel, and was disappointed. I did not feel like it matched up to the rave reviews that it has received. The place was clean, and breakfast was ok, but nothing special. I found some of the staff at the front desk to be rude. We used the shuttle service to the Family Circle Cup tennis tournament, and the shuttle is great with a very nice gentleman. The breakfast is also run by a nice gentleman, but the ladies who run the front desk need an attitude adjustment. I stay at hampton inns frequently, and I just don't think this one measures up.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank kragan
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Daniel Island after returning from a cruise. We loved that they had a shuttle to take us to, and pick us up from the cruise terminal. The shuttle was great, and although we didn't use it for this, also took people to and from Downtown Charleston.

The hotel is about 15 minutes away from Downtown, but very easily accessible.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, even calling a cab for us when our car broke down on the other side of town.

The rooms were very nice. The bed was very comfortable!!! I appreciated chex mix and bottled water waiting for us each time we returned to the room! :)

My only complaints - 1 - the walls are super thin. I woke up to crying kids and people talking casually in the rooms next door. 2 - I think there may be bedbugs. I have bug bites all over my body, even parts that were covered when I was out for the day. However, I would like to emphasize that this hotel was very very clean otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2009

In contrast to most previous reviewers, I wish we had stayed in downtown Charleston. We were only in town for one night and a more central location, with parking, would have suited our needs better. Having said that, this is a lovely hotel, quite new and very quiet. It is near professional soccer fields and tennis courts so be prepared to share the hotel with visiting teams. The restaurant next door, Queen Anne's Revenge, is quite good and just a few steps away.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2009

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel. It is a great place to stay...close to Charleston, yet has the small-town feel of Daniel Island. The staff is welcoming, and the rooms comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We stayed here for the July 4th Holiday weekend. The rates for hotels in Charleston and Mount Pleasant were ridiculously high for the holiday, so I started looking at surrounding areas and found Daniel Island. The drive from the hotel into the city is about 15 minutes...likewise, from the hotel to Isle of Palms is about 15, longer to go to Folly Beach (25mins). We never experienced any traffic issues, and the drive was not bad at all.
This hotel is a very nice Hampton - definitely suited to the business traveler. The staff was wonderful - particularly Lou, who seemed to learn (and remember!) everyone's names. The breakfast was great, and there were plenty of warm cookies and milk every afternoon. The hotel was clean and the bed was awesome. The pool is small, but adequate - and clean, with towels provided.
Best thing about this hotel actually was the location. Daniel Island is beautiful, and QUIET - a nice respite from the main Charleston and Mt Pleasant areas. Everything you need is close by - including grocery, liquor, and drug stores. We spent our days at the beach, in the city, doing the tourist thing - and this hotel was a great home base during our trip.
A reccommendation - I registered on-line for a vistor's guide from the Charleston Visitor's Bureau....full of great information about parking - we never had a problem with parking - even considering the holiday weekend!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank max25oliver