“The case of the airplane engine AC”

Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston / West Ashley
Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“The case of the airplane engine AC”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Second time staying here for business. First time was a very nice room that was clean and relatively newer fixtures. This time was not so well. First - the positives:

- I stayed in a large suite that had two rooms (living area with small kitchenette - no stove) and a bedroom/ bathroom combo. Plenty of space for a family of four. Only downside is that the bathroom is not separate from the bedroom so mommy and daddy would have NO privacy.
- The work space, chairs and Internet are all very spacious and nice. Internet is actually FAST here!
- great friendly staff
- comfortable beds and work chairs

Negatives:
- AC in the bedroom (room 323) sounded like the high whine of an airplane engine. It was late when I checked in and was tired so I just turned it off and cranked the unit in the next room up. I will mention it to the staff when I check out.
- the room was in major need of refresh. Major signs of wear on carpet, wallpaper, sink and bath.
- after my mining shower, I turned off the exhaust fan and smelled lots of cigarette smoke from next door or above. Now I know why they had the exhaust fan on when I entered the room
- the exhaust fan in the bathroom sounded like it was from 1970 and needed to be replaced. Extremely loud and annoying.
- furniture was in need of replacement

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Modster76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Westland, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I found the breakfast to be lacking at this property. Not up to Hampton Standards. Served basically the same thing each day. The outdoor pool was wonderful. I really enjoyed it at the end of a long day

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We attended a wedding and stayed a few days afterwards in this hotel. Our entire stay was very comfortable, no major problems, and when little things occurred, they were dealt with swiftly and completely. I reserved a room for my wife, kids and me- and another room for my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and her daughter.

Josh (at check-in) was outstanding. He and LaShae (sp?) did an excellent job checking us in, and in accordance with my previous request, he made sure our children had treats waiting for them when we checked in. Josh was very friendly and ALWAYS sported a genuine smile throughtout our stay. he even helped find Rover, a beloved stuffed animal belonging to my youngest son. Totally cool.

Connie took care of us during reservations, and answered all questions patiently and professionally. When I saw her name tag at front desk, I HAD to thank her for everything she helped do. Her smile is infectious, and she was also always warm, friendly, and eager to help.

Joseph, the night auditor was very helpful. I asked him if the hotel loaned extra rechargers for one of my devices. He looked but they didn't have one to fit my device. Kindly, Joseph offered to go to his truck to see if he had one for me to use. He didn't have one, but he certainly deserved to be acknowledged as being "caught at his best." I've never had such great service at a hotel, before.

Kathy did an awesome job at breakfast each morning.

Sasha was a terrific housekeeper. She was always very attentive, and although we only used HK service once during our 5 night stay, we often needed extra towels, or wash cloths, or tissue. She never failed to help us. once, she gave us only three wash cloths because that was all she had at the time. I thanked her politely and told her it was fine, and that we would be alright with just three. A few minutes later, my son told me Miss Sasha had delivered the fourth washcloth because SHE had forgotten it. Sasha gave a fine recommendation for Splash Zone Water Park. We had a great time. HKs like this are splendid examples of why the Hilton brand rules over all others, and in fact, I felt HORRIBLE that I didn't have a tip for her, because she deserved a HUGE one. (I plan to mail one to her after my next payday)

My wife said Dorothy went beyond her way to render a personal touch at breakfast, and I wanted to make sure I mentioned it in this forum.

Karen served up great wine, cold beer and snacks during Happy Hour. Phenomenal service.

LaShae (sp?), mentioned earlier also answered questions regarding the water park, and it was HER recommendation about the proximity to hotel that convinced us to go. We were not disappointed...the lazy river was one of my favorite snapshots of the visit to Charleston.

Emily always sported a smile and all of the staff had warm greetings to everyone. Emily, unfortunately had to deal with our only complaint of our stay. The bathroom vent didn't work. We noticed it on the first night but tried to enjoy the room without it. But soon, we discovered after a day more without it, how difficult it was to keep the bathroom odor free after bowel movements (I know...ewwl) They couldn't do anything on the night we brought it to their attention but the maintenance man (Francisco) brought us an electric unit that he said would do the trick. We accepted it gratefully but I didn't think it would work. To my delightfulness and surprise, it worked. It left an ionic smell to the bathroom but THAT didn't last long, and THAT was better than the room smelling like a gas station bathroom. We were pleased and at my request, we obtained a service recovery for one night.

This hotel is the place to stay if you are a family, a couple, on business, or any other situation requiring the need of clean, comfortable, safe and friendly lodging. We visit Charleston 3-4 times a year. This was our first stay at Hampton Inn, West Ashley. As the person who pays for our lodging, and as a family who value our hotel stay equally as we find importance in our vacation- this will be our absolute hotel of choice when visiting Charleston.

Room Tip: This was our first stay. I mentioned our requests during the time of making the reservations. EVERY...
1 Thank Reggie S
Seymour, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel is in need of major upgrades. The lobby was nice but all the rooms are really old and dirty. I would never stay at this hotel again unless they upgraded. The carpets, curtains, and furniture were gross. And there was dust and dirt in every corner of the room. The elevator was extremely slow. So slow that every time we were in the elevator with other people, they would complain.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank FAHll
Oak Ride, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel was ok, except you have to deal with a humidity problem, you can smell as you first get there, but maybe it's a problem because of the area. The stay was uneventful until on the morning of my departure i carried some items to my car, went back into the hotel and to the breakfast area and was run down by a hotel employee and she said "are you a guest here because we noticed you made a B-line to the food". I was so caught off guard i just said yes and turned away from her. Never been treated like this before and oh yea i did not hear her say I'm sorry

Miami
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is our second stay at this facility. One was years ago and we enjoyed our stay then. This time we attended a family event and we were not disappointed. Both times, we booked the jacousie suites. The rooms were clean, spacious and luxurious. The staff accommodated us with early check-in since we arrived a little early. The breakfast area was spacious and we had the option of dining out in the courtyard. I would recommend that they have utensils and equipment in the kitchen so guest can use if required (plates, pots, glasses, etc.) Other than that, we had another great experience at this facility.

Room Tip: Always ask for the jacusie suites as theses are isolated at the end of the corridors and noise was n...
2 Thank nat g
virginia, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We didn't get the package we booked, the hotel smelled like smoke, the phone in our room didn't work and the front desk did nothing about the noisy neighbors. VERY DISAPPOINTED !!!!! We have stayed at Hampton Inn's before and this was the worst!

1 Thank Michelle R