This hotel is at the farthest end away from the historic district. If you can walk a distance (1/2 mile to City Market; 1 mile to Battery Park) then you won’t mind or if you plan on taking advantage of the busses or trolleys then it’s fine. However, despite requesting 6 months in advance for a room facing the courtyard we were informed upon check-in they weren’t able to honor our request and instead put us in a corner room, rationalizing that it has a lot of light, but it also had a lot of traffic, which is why we had requested an inner room in the first place. It was very noisy with traffic at all hours.
The hotel itself was very clean. There is a complimentary breakfast buffet which is okay if you like cold dishes: pastry, muffins, toast, cold cereal, yogurt. If you like a hot breakfast you won’t get it here, other than the make-your-own waffles. Every morning was scrambled eggs and one morning there were little logs of eggs 1” in diameter. Every day there was lukewarm eggs, lukewarm meat and lukewarm hash browns which just lost their appeal after a 4 days and we finally decided to go out for a nice hot breakfast.
If driving in, set your GPS to 47 John St. The hotel’s front door is not on Meeting St.; it is on John St. which was very confusing when we first arrived and we rode around in circles. 47 John St. is the parking garage right next door at a cost of $14 a day. Many nice restaurants within easy walking distance on King St. Despite the disappointing breakfast and room request, I still rated it 4 stars because it is a very nice, clean hotel and that is of the utmost importance to me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Hampton Inn Charleston-Historic District, you’ll experience antebellum architecture and fabulous shops of the King Street historic district right outside our hotel. Our Charleston hotel is in downtown Charleston adjacent to the Charleston Museum, the nation's oldest museum. Wake up to Hampton’s free hot breakfast. Explore nearby 18th century plantations, churches, and the Charleston city market, walking distance from our hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District Hotel Charleston
- Hampton Inn Historic District
- Charleston Hampton Inn