“FAR END OF HISTORIC DISTRICT”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
“FAR END OF HISTORIC DISTRICT”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This hotel is at the farthest end away from the historic district. If you can walk a distance (1/2 mile to City Market; 1 mile to Battery Park) then you won’t mind or if you plan on taking advantage of the busses or trolleys then it’s fine. However, despite requesting 6 months in advance for a room facing the courtyard we were informed upon check-in they weren’t able to honor our request and instead put us in a corner room, rationalizing that it has a lot of light, but it also had a lot of traffic, which is why we had requested an inner room in the first place. It was very noisy with traffic at all hours.

The hotel itself was very clean. There is a complimentary breakfast buffet which is okay if you like cold dishes: pastry, muffins, toast, cold cereal, yogurt. If you like a hot breakfast you won’t get it here, other than the make-your-own waffles. Every morning was scrambled eggs and one morning there were little logs of eggs 1” in diameter. Every day there was lukewarm eggs, lukewarm meat and lukewarm hash browns which just lost their appeal after a 4 days and we finally decided to go out for a nice hot breakfast.

If driving in, set your GPS to 47 John St. The hotel’s front door is not on Meeting St.; it is on John St. which was very confusing when we first arrived and we rode around in circles. 47 John St. is the parking garage right next door at a cost of $14 a day. Many nice restaurants within easy walking distance on King St. Despite the disappointing breakfast and room request, I still rated it 4 stars because it is a very nice, clean hotel and that is of the utmost importance to me.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard room. Streetside is very noisy. Set GPS to 47 John St.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weezi67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Linden, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Very nice hotel and good location to downtown. Very walk able, liked not needing car. The only caution i would have is that the rooms on the first floor can be a bit noisy, especially those along the passageway between elevator and lobby. Otherwise a very nice hotel with a nice courtyard.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

philadelphia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We travelled to Charleston S.C. to attend a wedding and wanted to stay in a hotel that was within walking distance of some of the sights. I looked at a number of hotels on TripAdvisor. Most were "no smoking" properties and, being one who is still orally fixated with cigarettes, didn't meet our needs. The Hampton Inn located in Charleston's Historic District seemed to fill the bill. They did have some rooms which allowed smoking so I booked a King room. Unfortunately the room we received ( # 527) was somewhat under expectation size wise and had what had to be the worst view in the property. Nevertheless we took the room as the hotel was full and, after a long ride to Charleston we were tired and more than a little cranky. That is the extent of my negative comments about The Hampton Inn. Except for the size of the room and the terrible view I have only good things to say about the Hampton Inn.

The hotel is located in what is an exceptionally good location for those going to Charleston for sightseeing. It's across the street from the Charleston Visitor Center and, as such, is a location for the free (yes I said free) trolley loop vehicles which cover most of the the more interesting portions of Charleston's Historic District(s). Each trolley loop makes multiple stops for both pickup and drop-off in various locations. There are three routes (loops) to choose from and one is bound to please most. The hotel is also located one block from King Street which is home to many stores ( some trendy, some tacky) and restaurants and specialty food stores galore.

The Hampton Inn property is not the most elegant hotel in town but it is clean, efficient, well located and the staff is most friendly. I was impressed with the courtyard on the property which had a small pool and well manicured lawns and plantings. Also, there was a nice outdoor area containing tables, and chairs adjacent to the hotel's main lobby. This area is an excellent place to sit and relax or to eat the complimentary breakfast available each morning. The array of foods available at breakfast is ample and should please most appetites.

Surprisingly there a no safes in the Hampton Inn rooms. Secure storage safes are apparently available in a room adjoining the main lobby and, I believe, access is available to that room 24/7. Other than that the rooms are tastefully done and the bathroom more than adequate in size and most important (at least to me) there seems to be an ample supply of hot water for bathing or showering.

All in all, despite my misgivings about the size of our room I think the Hampton Inn - Historic District is a good place to stay. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank highnoonPhiladelphia
San Diego, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I booked a NON smoking room and received a smoking room. The night staff on duty were very unhelpful and we were forced to stay in the room. Staff the next day did rectify the room, but I still had to stay in a smoking room that smelled disgusting for a night. Also, there are signs all over the hotel that sheets are clean for each guest - why the need to keep reminding guests - surely one would expect that?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn as a solo traveler. The rest of my group was at another hotel, but it was booked solid by the time I made my reservations. This hotel was excellent! I was greeted by friendly front desk workers and the rest of the staff was also extremely friendly. My room was neat and clean for my arrival and every day when I got back from my travels. The lobby was very pretty and the garden and pool area was also lovely. The breakfasts were excellent, especially the waffles! There were plenty of breakfast foods to choose from so that even the pickiest eater would be able to find something to eat. Also, by the front desk, there was a selection of complimentary drinks including coffee, various teas, and hot chocolate. The hotel's location is also excellent; right across from the visitor's center and centrally located in town. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again on susequent visits.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Maryland
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed in the Hampton Inn at the end of April. The hotel is very clean, rooms are on the small side and beds are comfy. Our room had a very disturbing musty odor. When I mentioned it to the front desk, they put a machine in our room that was supposed to remove the smell. It worked for a couple of hours, and then the smell was back. I have to agree with the comments by henris0n - rooms are very noisy - A/C, water from other rooms, and the walls are VERY thin. Not a place to stay if you are planning to sleep!
The staff was very accomodating and helpful with directions and suggestions. The hotel is located across from the Visitor's Center and a trolley stop.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ritawoodward
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed at the Hampton while on a business trip, and it was a pleasure. It is conveniently located to local shops and the markets, and my stay was very comfortable and quiet, exactly what I need after working. I hope to return for a pleasure visit soon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business