“Great Hotel and Location”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Great Hotel and Location”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here in June and had a great time! The location was great because it was near King St. and all the shops and dining you could imagine! It was a about 1 mile to the water and where you can go to Fort Sumter.

The rooms were very clean all the modern conveniences but with old charm. We would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank Aubrey R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Durham, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 June 2014

When a father needed some help finding his daughter a place to stay when other plans didn't work out Tafey and Kevin where all to happy to help us out.

For no reason other than being good folks, they took time from their day to help make sure she was safe and looked after.....Words aren't enough! If they would do this for a none guest I can only imagine the service they provide to their staying guests.....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This Hampton is located just on the outskirt of the historic district. Please note, do not travel further north along Meeting street .... you will quickly be in a quite a rough area of Charleston. The free trolley was located directly across the street and was great to take for longer distances or if the weather became inclement. Special Thanks to the front desk staff and to Curtis who so kindly pointed us in the right direction and was right on regarding restaurant recommendations. The staff always took their time to answer questions. Recommend this hotel for accomodation, location and price.

2 Thank MurphyS888
Hoover, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Trip to Charleston for wedding and wanted to stay in the historic district. This particular hotel is a bit off the path but was certainly convenient with a very friendly staff. The hotel itself is in need of upkeep and TLC. Window sash in our room was completely rotted out and deteriorated. A fresh coat of paint, some updating and regular maintenance and it's a nice spot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allen T
VA
Reviewed 12 June 2014

First let me start by saying that this hotel as a whole is ok. It was clean, the staff was all very friendly and helpful, parking was easy (there's a parking garage behind the property and you can come and go as you please--for $16 a day). The rooms are really small, however. The bathroom doesn't allow for two people to get ready at the same time very well, but I expected that since most rooms in Charleston are on the small side. I had a third floor room facing the parking lot and did hear some noise so keep that in mind if you're a light sleeper (although I'm not sure the other side would be any less noisy).

The location, to me, is not the best. It's a long walk to the historic district where all of the restaurants and historic homes are located. This isn't a huge deal if you don't mind waiting for the free trolley (it stops running at 9 p.m. though) or if you don't mind paying extra to park your car somewhere closer to town (My friend spent almost $75 extra dollars parking the car over the course of 3 days so we wouldn't have to walk back to the hotel late at night or walk an extra mile in the heat).

I probably won't stay here again just because of the location (I booked this room because I had a free night that I needed to use at a Hampton Inn). I like being able to come and go to my room whenever I want and not having to worry about a long walk back or having to pay for parking. If that doesn't concern you, then you probably wouldn't have any issues with the hotel since everything else about it was nice.

Room Tip: I had a 3rd floor room facing the parking lot and did hear some noise. Not sure if the courtyard sid...
1 Thank ngwife2
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the minute of arrival, you are made to feel welcome, especially by Brandon at the front desk. The hotel is wonderfully situated, across the street from the Visitor Center and from the downtown trolleys, which run all over free of charge, coming every 15-20 minutes. Breakfast was the usual Hampton Inn fare, plenty to eat to start off the day, and breakfast on the go available if you need to leave early. Brandon also recommended places to eat, because in this local area, the prices are ridiculously high. Best places to eat turned out to be in the Market area, where there is a good variety.

The only disappointment was the room itself - perfectly comfortable and with all amenities, but very small and dark, with only a tiny window - very unusual in Hampton Inns which I have used all over the States. I was only staying a couple of nights, so it wasn't a big deal, but had I been staying longer, I should have asked to move. Also, zircon only worked spasmodically and it was stifling in the room. No refrigerator, which is these sorts of temperatures would have been a boon.

But this is really nitpicking, and overall I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for large room with good windows
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank balticbash
Franklin, TN
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Disappointed in our recent stay at the Hampton and first time in Charleston. I actually cancelled our reservations at the nearby Embassy Suites to save a few bucks, but wish I had just paid the extra 15/night for a better hotel. The location of the hotel is excellent. It's right across the street from the Visitor's Center, where one can catch the free shuttle various locations in Charleston. The parking was also very convenient, in the next door garage, and very easy unloading and loading belongings at checkin/checkout. The lobby is very nice, and the staff very friendly. However, our room was just terrible. Upon entering, one is immediately hit by an intense moldy/ mildew smell, and I am NOT one to notice these kinds of things. IT was almost overwhelming. Also, the room was hot, but we assumed it would cool off after a few hours of running the a/c. NOPE. It stayed hot all night, no covers needed, and I am usually freezing in places. Also, I should've read the amenities of the rooms, because there was NO refrigerator in room, and we had our son's medicine which needed to be cold/ refrigerated. We made do with our ice chest, but I should've looked or asked before booking the Hampton over Embassy. I know we possibly could've gotten another room, but after the trip, and unpacking, we just stuck it out. Again, we were hopeful the air would start working, but it never really cooled off. I did, however, like that we had a back door, (we were on the ground level) that opened to a sidewalk right near the pool. The kids enjoyed the pool, and we all liked the ease of getting to and from the pool without having to traipse through the lobby. The breakfast was standard Hampton, but very good with a good selection. The staff were very friendly. We weren't in the room very much during the day, so the lack of a/c and smell were only bothersome at night. We hotel is in an excellent location though, just steps from a trolley stop, a couple blocks off the park, and a bit of a walk, but not too bad, to restaurants. I would probably not stay here on a return trip unless other hotels were unavailable

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family