“Wonderful hotel.”

Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Wonderful hotel.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My only gripe is that the elevators are not air conditioned. This sounds picky, but with 90 degree weather, my greatest fear was getting stuck in a hot, stuffy elevator. Such a shame that this detail brought on distasteful attitudes toward the hotel. Everything else was top notch, to say the least.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Phila, PA
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked the room for two nights in May for a wedding. I was originally concerned about noise since we were next to the fitness center, but no problem. As I frequently stay at other Hampton Inns I knew what to expect and was not disappointed. The entire staff was extremely friendly and recommended the Low Country Loop Trolley for touring the city. It has a stop directly across the street at the Historic Charleston Visitors Center. We partook of the Breakfast Buffet both days. It exceeded my expectations. The in-room WiFi worked without a hitch. The only complaint I have about the hotel (which I knew at booking) is that I had to pay for parking. The parking garage is next to the hotel and charged $16 per day. I'm just not used to pay for hotel parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mobile
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were recently there for a wedding in June. Our room would never get cool, the staff kindly brought us a box fan as the hotel was at capacity and no rooms were available. The room was OK, bathroom was small and the shower leaked. The location was great, close to King Street and
Visitor's Center.
Elevators were stifling, not sure that they had any ventilation. I would never stay here in the summer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phrunk
HotelManagement345, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I was so very sorry to see your review today. It is our goal that every guest walk away with a positive experience, so you will have no troubles coming back and having more positive experiences each time you come to Charleston. Please reach out to me so I can help make this right. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin Eichman
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was the most expensive of the hotels we booked for our USA trip, butwas well worth it. Great location. Staff very friendly. Spotless rooms and very clean common areas. The breakfast area deserves a special mention as this was being constantly restocked, the staff in this area deserve a big thank you. Afternoon cookies, if you are quick, as they are so delicious people wait for them, we got one by accident whilst waiting for other members of our party. Great sitting out area with comfy sofas and TV's. A great stay thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My stay in Charleston was much less pleasant due to staying at this hotel. We stayed in a very small and narrow room on the second floor that had an unbearable musty and moldy smell. If you are sensitive then stay away unless you want to wake up everyday like I did with a horrible headache. Breakfast was also pretty bad. The usual processed pastries and canned fruit along with some scrambled eggs and watered down coffee. And like another reviewer mentioned, styrofoam plates and plastic utincils. I stuck to the yogurt and bananas. My son was less picky and did enjoy making his waffle each morning. We also all enjoyed eating outside in the courtyard near the pool but were bothered by flies most of the time. Some positives are that we could get bottles of free water at the front desk, one afternoon there were fresh-baked cookies and there was always tea and juice available in the lobby as well as the USA Today newspaper. The location is okay but yes, a little far from all the best restaurants. We drove to Magnolias and parked in their free lot one night so as not to sweat in our nice outfits. Otherwise the walk was nice. The garage to park is right next door and not too expensive to park all day and be able to go in and out for one fee. I did get stung by a bee one time when we were going to the car since we had to pass through a small alleyway full of flies and evidently bees, too. After we checked in I saw on Hotels Tonight some even better deals than this hotel and they were for some of the best in town which made ime feel even worse about my stay. At least there were no signs of any roaches or other room visitors so being down South in the summer made this particular hotel worth staying at. If only the breakfast had been better and the room did not smell so awful all would have been perfect. Oh, I also saw a sign in the bathroom stating that if any toiletries were forgotten they could be obtained at the front desk...they didn't have the cotton balls I had asked for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AID
HotelManagement345, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to comment on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests help us to ensure the quality and comfort of our guests. I would like to apologize for your recent stay with us. I have forwarded these comments to our staff. Thank you again and hope to see you in the future.

Kevin Eichman
Washington, DC
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned from a stay in Charleston at the Hampton Inn. The location is the best reason to stay. It is very centrally located to the shopping and entertainment district on King Street and is across the street from the Visitor's Center. (The jumping off point for many local tours and taxi's waiting right out front.) The hotel is well maintained and shows it wear if you have a detailed eye (sadly, I notice everything!) The beds are comfortable and the pillows are very soft. If you prefer a firm pillow, bring one from home or plan folding the pillows over. The bathrooms are large and very clean; the water pressure ebbs during peak times which can be forgiven. Lastly, the staff is full on helpful, Southern charm.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are lovely and large, specifically 548. Ask for the 5th floor too.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meredith-Clarissa
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location and value make this hotel a must to stay during a visit to Charleston. Finding the entrance was a little bit difficult as it sits back from the street in a driveway leading to a public parking garage( where you will need to park as the hotel doesn't have a garage). The staff were great, the rooms were clean, and the complimentary breakfast was delicious. Directly across the street from the hotel is the bus station where you can catch a ride to all of the sites in the historic district.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family