“Stay at Hampton Downtown Charleston”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Toms River, United States
“Stay at Hampton Downtown Charleston”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Best facility in downtown Charleston! Staff is amazing, rooms are wonderful and spacious and great value for the money. The area is so convenient to walk and get the real meaning of being in Downtown Charleston -

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Gerald F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Alvaton, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I stay at a ton of Hamptons and they always come through. The hotel needs some help. We got stuck in the smallest room after charging me the highest amount possible and the toilet leaked and ran all night. The next day they gave us a great room with other item comped items and no charge for the night before but it should have never gotten to that point. It took my wife yelling at them or we were going to leave. The AC stopped running on our last night.

It's a great location and they went overboard to fix any issues so the service was great. The morning kitchen area was every man for himself. It's crowded and the food was just okay. Since when did they stop pealing my eggs?

Would I stay there again? Probably not. Too many others that want my business and can do better. This company is better than that. Hope they get it fixed soon.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TJR18
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Book for the location, stay for the hospitality. The front desk (Brandon) and concierge staffs (Henry & Curtis) were delightful gents and a welcoming addition to this hotel. They were helpful with tours, dining and shopping options. Some rooms were renovated and offered a fridge/microwave while others just had a TV. But since our group didn’t travel for the comforts of the room, we overlooked the rooms’ lackluster appeal. This was our first trip to Charleston and the location of the hotel is spot on, right in the heart of the city. The hot breakfast was good (i.e., sausage, eggs, waffles, fruit, cereal, bagels, coffee, juice) it was filling and one less meal to buy elsewhere. Parking is adjacent to the hotel in the garage deck, which is good to keep the HELL sun from steaming your car (if you have a handicap pass you park for FREE—You can also park at meters on the street for FREE with this pass), otherwise I believe it’s a $16 charge at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room w/a fridge
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My only gripe is that the elevators are not air conditioned. This sounds picky, but with 90 degree weather, my greatest fear was getting stuck in a hot, stuffy elevator. Such a shame that this detail brought on distasteful attitudes toward the hotel. Everything else was top notch, to say the least.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Phila, PA
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked the room for two nights in May for a wedding. I was originally concerned about noise since we were next to the fitness center, but no problem. As I frequently stay at other Hampton Inns I knew what to expect and was not disappointed. The entire staff was extremely friendly and recommended the Low Country Loop Trolley for touring the city. It has a stop directly across the street at the Historic Charleston Visitors Center. We partook of the Breakfast Buffet both days. It exceeded my expectations. The in-room WiFi worked without a hitch. The only complaint I have about the hotel (which I knew at booking) is that I had to pay for parking. The parking garage is next to the hotel and charged $16 per day. I'm just not used to pay for hotel parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mobile
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were recently there for a wedding in June. Our room would never get cool, the staff kindly brought us a box fan as the hotel was at capacity and no rooms were available. The room was OK, bathroom was small and the shower leaked. The location was great, close to King Street and
Visitor's Center.
Elevators were stifling, not sure that they had any ventilation. I would never stay here in the summer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phrunk
HotelManagement345, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I was so very sorry to see your review today. It is our goal that every guest walk away with a positive experience, so you will have no troubles coming back and having more positive experiences each time you come to Charleston. Please reach out to me so I can help make this right. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin Eichman
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was the most expensive of the hotels we booked for our USA trip, butwas well worth it. Great location. Staff very friendly. Spotless rooms and very clean common areas. The breakfast area deserves a special mention as this was being constantly restocked, the staff in this area deserve a big thank you. Afternoon cookies, if you are quick, as they are so delicious people wait for them, we got one by accident whilst waiting for other members of our party. Great sitting out area with comfy sofas and TV's. A great stay thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family