“Great time in Charleston”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Toccoa, GA
“Great time in Charleston”
Reviewed 25 October 2009

This was our second trip to Charleston. We enjoyed staying close to downtown and loved being a block up from King Street. We spent most of our time out on the beach at Sullivan's Island...which was EXTREMELY relaxing. Can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Madrid
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I arrived at this hotel about 8 pm having flown in from Madrid, Spain for my son's wedding. My first trip to the US, let alone Charleston! I am English.

I had booked for 5 nights several months in advance on a pre-paid deal which seemed good value when compared with prices in general in Charleston. As one does, I went straight to the window to check out the view and was horrified to see the laundry and boiler rooms directly across a small internal courtyard.

I then went out with my son to meet some of his London friends who were eating at a nearby restaurant (very good!!) and asked in a jokey manner at the desk how long one had to book for in order to get a room with a view. The receptionist replied that the hotel was full, but if I didn't unpack, maybe they could move me the next day. The room was as expected, and in the bathroom there was a coffee machine, but no tea. No shower gel provided, but soaps, shampoo and body lotion yes. I hadn't packed a bath-robe, assuming one would be provided, but no - and on asking at reception was told they used to be, but too many people took them away, so they had stopped. Surely with modern technology guests who steal can be charged? No safe in the room, but facilities available at reception.

Anyway, I slept well, bed very comfortable, then went down for breakfast. What a disappointment! Self-service with polystyrene plates and cups, plastic cutlery - I can't imagine what mountains of waste is produced this way, Obviously it is a cost-cutting measure but doesn't sit well in the heart of the historic district of Charleston - maybe in a business type area, but for tourists a real turn-off. Plenty of very average food. No natural yoghourt, whole-meal bread which British tourists might miss, but other local touches which would more than compensate. My English daughter-in-law loves American breakfasts. But on the positive side, one could eat outside by the pool and avoid the fierce air-conditioning!

I then went out to meet my new American daughter-in-law 'to be' for a lovely mani-pedi at the luxurious Stella-Nova, and later had lunch with friends in the French Quarter. Amazingly the manicurist had formerly been a welder and had worked on the beautiful iron staircase in the French Quarter Inn!! I had spoken to the receptionist about the proposed room change as I left and they had seen no note from the overnight person, but promised to see what they could do. Returning to the hotel about 4pm, asked once again about the room change and lo and behold they had moved me to a pool-side room with French windows out on to the courtyard. Absolutely wonderful! What a difference that made to my stay.

The only down-side was that I had left a pair of linen trousers and jacket in the wardrobe which didn't get transferred and it took almost the rest of my stay to locate them as the house-keeper was apparently the only one with a key to the 'lost-property' room and she goes off duty at 4pm. I was eventually reunited with them, all scrumpled up in a poly bag. Lucky there is an iron and ironing board in the room! Laundry can be sent out, but you have to carry it to Reception and collect it yourself!

There is a communal computer room where I tried to check in for my return flight, but as I am a Mac User and my e-mail is a MobileMe Mac.com address, couldn't access it for my flight information as only Microsoft Explorer is available - Firefox as an alternative would have been useful. I eventually managed to do whet I needed through the Delta site, but didn't have access to any info e-mails I might have received.

So, to sum up, this is a lovely well-appointed building in a great location - the pool in central Charleston is a real bonus - but the services offered would suit a motel rather than a top class hotel. Such a pity.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank itchyfeet64
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I recently spent the weekend here while visiting my son at the College of Charleston.
The hotel is in a great location, very close to the school, shopping and many resteraunts. The hotel staff is very friendly and outgoing. This was my second stay in the last couple of months and I was greeted as a returning guest.

I used Hilton points for my room and had a spacious room on the 4th floor. We were allowed to check in when we arrived at 12:30 which was really convenient. The room had a mini fridge which was nice. There is a nice pool that was still open in Oct. It was not heated, so it was refreshingly cool after a long day of walking around Charleston.

The hotel offers a free breakfast , muffins, fruit, pastries, cereal and a different hot item every day. We enjoyed eating ours in the outside courtyard.

We really like the location. It is about a 20 minute walk down to the market. It always takes me longer becuase there is so much to see along the way. Charleston is really easy to walk around. the Visitor Center is right next to the hotel and there are plenty of great places to eat within a few blocks.

If you there are on a Saturday, don't miss the Farmers Market that takes place around the corner in the Marion Square Park. The best Farmers Market I have been to, with plenty of veggies but also many vendors with unusual things for sale. Not to be missed.

The Hampton INn is a great value in Charleston. Comfortable, clean and convenient with a great staff. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Rochester Hills, MI
Reviewed 22 September 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night in September during the week. It was a good experience overall. We were able to check in early and it has a great location in terms of being right across from the Visitor Center and its proximity to everything in downtown Charleston. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, the room was fine and they had a large breakfast area for the morning. The food was typical Hampton Inn food with a bit of southern flavoring thrown and that was fine with me. You do have to pay for parking but you can basically park your car and just leave it for the duration of your trip. The garage was $12.00 per night which wasn't too bad. One thing I did like was that in the lobby they had a large album that contained menu's of the local resturants so you could check them out in advance in terms of selection & prices. If I was to return to Charleston, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
charbo20
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I recently stayed overnight with a group of friends. We booked three rooms for the night. We were all impressed with the location which was within walking distance of shopping, dinning, and all local attractions. In addition, the customer service was more than accomodating and they let us wait for our ride for over three hours in the lobby. There is always coffee and tea available and there is a fantastic free breakfast. I would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again. A great value.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Keystone Heights, FL
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Lovely common area and pool. Great breakfast. But our room had a mildewy smell to it, and was on the small side. Beds were great. The location a block from shopping and eateries on King St. Can't be beat--also it's across the street from the Visitor's Center, where you can catch a trolley all the way to the Battery. We stayed at this hotel a few years ago and had a great room. The hotel employees are very friendly, and it was refreshing to be told to "have a blessed day."

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Our family spent 3 evenings on July 4th weekend. The hotel room and facility was clean and typical of a Hampton. The staff was very friendly and professional.

The only change that we would have liked to have seen would be a "no smoking policy" at the outdoor breakfast area. The indoor area is non-smoking so we simply moved, but it would have been nice to have a smoke free area outside as well.

A nice value hotel for exploring Charleston's aquarium, Ft Sumter, and the historic area if you enjoy a little walking (or are willing to take the shuttles at the Visitor Center across the street).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family