“What is all the fuss about?”
Review of French Quarter Inn

Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“What is all the fuss about?”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I went to this hotel with exceedingly high expectations. After all, it is rated as tripadvisor's seventh best hotel in the U.S. I left the hotel shaking my head. Have most reviewers been blinded by all the free cheap food and drink at this hotel?

There are some nice things about the hotel. The lobby and staircase are lovely. I appreciated the coffee and tea service set up on each floor's hallway in the morning. The front desk staff were happy to recommend restaurants and make reservations. I liked the classical music left playing in my room by the maids. But, my room was more than $500 per night, so these positives should be expected, in my view.

As for my room, the furnishings were nice, though I didn't like the cheap large photo of Paris hanging on the wall. The bathtub was what one would expect in an older Holiday Inn-- please see the photos. Seriously? In a $500 per night room? We had a large terrace attached to the room, but it seemed quite sterile. A potted plant or two would have helped its appearance. Other common-area terraces similarly lacked pizzazz.

What I found completely lacking was the quality of all the "free" food and drinks. You get inexpensive champagne at check-in. There was a wine and cheese spread in the evening-- again, inexpensive wine and a cheese platter I myself could put together by visiting my grocery store's deli counter. Nibbles (like m&ms and nuts) and iced tea were available during the day. Seriously-- m&ms. Nice, but nothing to write home about. There were milk and cookies put out at night. With a gourmet restaurant downstairs, I thought the cookies would be something special. But, I'm pretty sure they were the same ones that copy services deliver to my law firm to lure our business (dough from a bucket-- or perhaps frozen). Finally, breakfast was nothing special. Things like Dannon yogurt, cold cereal, Quaker Oats instant oatmeal, Nature Valley granola bars, uninspired bread, bagels and pastries, and a fruit salad that I would not have put out for guests. (If you can't get good fruit, then don't serve any. That also goes for the grapes on the cheese platter.) Do I sound hyper-critical? Perhaps. But this is supposed to be one of the top hotels in the U.S., so shouldn't these food and drink offerings be unusually good? The free evening wine was akin to what you get at Kimpton Hotels. I say this not to bash Kimpton, where I often stay when traveling on business, but as a point of comparison. Kimpton's rooms are usually $175 to $275 per night, making its wine seem much more "free" that the FQI's. The FQI's complimentary breakfast offerings are similar to what you will find at Hyatt House or Delta Sky Clubs. (Actually, I take that back. Some Sky Clubs have precooked oatmeal and toppings like dried cranberries and brown sugar, not instant oatmeal.)

Be advised that there is no fitness center on the premises or a restaurant that serves hot breakfasts or lunch. This didn't affect my rating, as I knew this going in, but prospective guests should be aware of these limitations.

In sum, I think this is an "average" luxury hotel. Nothing really to set it apart from other expensive hotels and, in my opinion, not at all worthy of its exceedingly high rating on this site.

6 Thank m3grrl
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear m3grrl,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review. Unfortunately we were not given the opportunity to address your concerns while you were here. We have since reached out to you and are looking forward to hearing back from you.

In regards to the inn, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with some of the inn’s upcoming improvements. We recognize that there are great properties in Charleston and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Brent Gresham

French Quarter Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This hotel is terrific. Great location, in walking distance from all major downtown sites. Rooms are big and comfortable, with large bathrooms. Coffee and Tea in the hallways all day, a very nice free breakfast, cookies every night, friendly and helpful staff... Just a real pleasure to stay here. I recommend the FQI very highly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear cambridge00,

The pleasure was all ours having y'all visit us! I hope all is well in Pennsylvania too! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming hotel, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Remember to “Like” us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and current French Quarter Inn enhancements. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance.

Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Located in historic Charleston, it has old world elegance with southern polite and efficient staff. Great room, very large and furnished to a "T". Chocalate at night! Free wi-fi.
I can't give it 4 stars because of: no pool, no workout room and the water tastes bad, but the ambience more than makes up for it. Not for kids, which is ok with me. Great resturant downstairs. Wine and cheese receptions every night, good, full continental breakfast, cookies and milk at night. Walkable to lots of great sites! Highly recommend that you book early or through the United frequent flyer program. We got there at 3:30AM and they were expecting us!

Room Tip: Staff is helpful in directions to attractions
Dear skiNebraska,

I am delighted to read your review. We'll settle on a four star review for now, but if we ever do have a pool and fitness room, I do hope we can earn your five stars! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming hotel, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just returned from a great holiday weekend in Charleston, SC. Our stay at the French Quarter Inn was truly one of the highlights of the trip. Since we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, we wanted a really special room and the folks at the FQI made sure we had a beautiful room with a balcony and view to die for! Every morning, we enjoyed our complimentary breakfast on the balcony, with our view overlooking the church steeples of the Holy City.

Each evening, we had our complimentary fresh cookies and milk on the terrace with the lights of the city at our feet! Could not have asked for a more special room, treatment or atmosphere.

This city is fantastic, and the restaurants are outstanding. Have already booked a return trip next year. Can't wait!

Dear kdb52,

I am delighted to read that we made your 40th anniversary a special one! Eating fresh cookies and drinking cold milk on a balcony overlooking the city does sounds nice indeed!

phoenixville
Reviewed 30 May 2012

WOW!!!! My daughter and I happened to drive by and see if they had a room available for that night. LUCKY us they did. Everything was amazing!!! Michael (front desk) made our short trip very memorable. He went out of his way to make this night special! The room, service, food, wine and champagne were unforgettable. We will definately return!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear beth L,

It was an absolute pleasure having y'all ladies visit us, and we were the LUCKY ones to accommodate y'all! Mike, our Concierge, says hello too.

Northumberland
Reviewed 29 May 2012

After reading the reviews for the French Quarter inn we decided to stay there for two nights while visiting Charleston - a good decision. The Inn was in a super location, right in the middle of Charleston - we had a voucher for free parking which was good to have in the city.
From the minute we walked in the door we were well looked after. The service was impeccable. We had everything we needed - from a glass of champagne upon arrival, to cheese and wine early evening, and hot drinks before bed.
The continental breakfasts were very good.
If going back to Charleston, which is a lovely city, I would certainly stay at the French Quarter Inn again.
Helen Whitaker

Dear Ms. Whitaker,

I love reading your review! Yes, our location is arguably the best in Charleston! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming hotel, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Hayward, California, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We arrived late and were greeted with champagne and ladyfingers plus cookies were available. We got recommendations for places to eat that were excellent. Our room was lovely; we especially enjoyed breakfast in our room served by a very accommodating staff.

2 Thank Pamela W
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Pamela W,