“Charming and Quaint”
Review of French Quarter Inn

Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in two rooms at the French Quarter Inn from July 10th to July 13, 2013. It is very charming with a lovely atmosphere in the lobby. Not a lot of noise from the street.
Around 5 or 5:30 PM until I think, 6:30pm, they offer wine and cheese in the lobby. Throughout the day there is fresh detox water, coffee, and iced tea. You can have champagne upon arrival and later in the day over by the front desk. In the evening there are fresh cookies, milk, coffee and tea in the lobby. It is enjoyable to sit in the lobby after coming in from shopping or dining. very relaxing and just so pleasant. They have a wonderful continental breakfast served daily in the lobby. They provide coffee stations in the hallway on each floor. so you can rise in the morning, get hot coffee or tea, and enjoy it in your room until you go down for breakfast.
We have stayed at this property in prior years. The service and staff were the most helpful, professional, and courteous that we have seen compared to some prior years.
Our rooms were so fresh and clean with beautiful bathrooms. Looks like things were recently renovated. Very comfortable beds. Our stay was most enjoyable and we will want to return to The French Quarter Inn next July. It is our hope they continue the great customer service and adhere to their present standard of how a property should be managed. Our family will look forward to next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank move373
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear move373,

I hope all is well down in beautiful Florida! I am delighted to read that y'all find the Inn and her service better than ever! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Always I read the reviews of hotels and restaurants with a certain amount of skepticism...because obviously in our world today they are important to these businesses, and so far as possible, some try to "game" the system...and there are a lot of quirky travelers who find fault because that is WHO they are...so.....

When I looked at the percentage of excellent, over the top reviews for the FQI....I was a bit mystified?!?

Four days later, 95+% of the reviewers are spot on...I could give you a dozen reasons...size plays a part...small enough to get personal attention, big enough to not crowd personal space like a BandB....All the services are first class...and the staff hits it just right...helpful, friendly, kind, accessible...location, location, location....the best with access to the best of Charleston dining, shopping, tours and history...

It isn't cheap, but to be trite, they give you a lot bang for your buck....the food and drink in the lobby all hours of the day being just one aspect. We had a standard room...which was perfect....can hardly imagine what a suite offers?

We will return, the highest compliment I can pay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bob L

Dear Bob L,

I hope you are doing well! I am delighted to read that we lived up to all the reviews you read about us before arriving. I truly have a service-minded team that finds real joy in making our guests happy! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I booked this hotel as a Father's Day present for my husband so we were traveling with 2 teenagers. If you have looked at downtown Charleston hotels,many require 2 rooms for families of 4. This one did not plus it seemed to have quite a few amenities. I called directly to the hotel and they assured me their two queen bed room would be more than adequate for the four of us. She noted that we planned to arrive early and gave me suggestions and assistance with reservations for other things to do while there. From the minute we arrived, we could not have asked for better service. They took our stuff and stored it, made us a lunch reservation close by, and called us when our room was ready (3 hours earlier than expected). They have tea, flavored water, lemonade, coffee, hot tea, M&M's, and jelly beans available 24 hours per day. They also greet you with champagne and amaretto cookies on arrival. They have milk and cookies, and port and chocolate at bed time and an excellent continental breakfast each day that you can eat in the lobby or have delivered to your room. Each evening they deliver fresh ice, turn down your bed, layout your guest robe, and put pralines beside your pillow. All of the staff are more than willing to book excursions or restaurants for you and to give you honest assessments of anything you are considering to do. The location is perfect. You are right next door to the market and only a couple of blocks from shopping and all the major restaurants in Charleston. This was the best experience we have ever had. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Lwood77

Dear Lwood77,

Wow! I am delighted to read your amazing review! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope y'all are well up in beautiful Waynesville

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We always stay by the water when in Charleston, but as this was a quick business trip, we stayed in town. Therefore, it was our first time at the French Quarter. I kept holding my breath, hoping that I wasn't going to be the ONE person that had a bad stay at the French Quarter. I wasn't --everything was wonderful. Valet parking was helpful so we didn't have to deal with Charleston traffic. We weren't able to be around for the wine and cheese reception but we did enjoy the little treats scattered throughout the facility. Breakfast brought to our room was great, as was the turndown at evening. The beds are worth mentioning. Really comfortable. I hated to get out of it. I never read the hotel's directory, if I had, I would have learned they have a pillow concierge. Although I had no complaints with my four pillows, it might have been fun to try out other ones. It was so pleasant to deal with staff who really seem to care about your comfort and genuinely want you to enjoy your stay. It is rare these days. Cleanliness should go without saying-it was fine. Last comment-the bathroom was unexpectedly palatial with thick, dreamy towels. No need to look any further.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and our turndown service, but I’m sorry you missed the wine and cheese reception and the pillow menu. You will have to come back to try those! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This past weekend found us at the French Quarter Inn for Holly's special birthday weekend. And man OH man did the folks at FQI make it special. From the moment we walked up the spectacular spiral staircase and were greeted by Mike and Glori the entire experience was top shelf. Little wonder they have five diamonds AND five stars.

We were upgraded upon arrival and when we went to the room, a bottle of processo was chilled and waiting for us with a special signed note from the manager wishing Holly a Happy Birthday. And that was just the start. ;-)

Breakfast every morning in the lobby was a scrumptious assortment of fruits, pastries, yogurt, coffees and teas, which can be delivered to your room ! We did both, having it delivered one morning and eating breakfast on the patio under the shade of umbrella as the water in the fountain softly tinkled in the background.

Every afternoon they break out four types of wine, cheeses, nuts, crackers and deli meats in a very nice happy hour time.

Evenings find milk, cookies, coffees and teas laid out. All very nicely presented.

The best ? The Worst? The SAME thing. Two pitchers full of M&Ms and Jelly Belly jellybeans. Oh how we hated / loved / hated those ! LOL

This property is not only worth returning to, it is worth going to Charleston just for the experience.

Wonderfully and conveniently located near the Market, the Battery, East Bay Street and many fun restaurants and shopping, you will NOT lack for anything to do within and easy walk.

Room Tip: Most all the rooms are good as this is a quite hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLYBOY888PK

We are elated that y’all chose to celebrate Holly’s birthday with us! Thank you for all the wonderful compliments about our amenities and staff, especially Glori and Mike! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope all is well back in beautiful Virginia!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I have been coming to the French Quarter Inn since it opened (with 2 teenagers along in earlier years). It's always been perfect, so we always know where we'll stay when we visit Charleston. This past May, it had been about 5 years since we were in Charleston, but I hoped, of course, that we would be as happy w/ FQI this time as we have been in the past. The hotel didn't disappoint; in fact, it might be even better, if that's possible! Rooms are still super-clean, spacious and top-quality, with no wear and tear --perfectly maintained. Customer service is (as always) friendly on arrival, and practically immediate if you call for help with something (like figuring out the TV controls, ha ha.) All the staff are well-trained; they just don't hire people in any position that won't reflect the hotel's high standards and quality. They offer a very nice (but short) free happy hour with good wine and cheese in the lobby, which is a sweet way to wind down after a busy day exploring the beautiful city. We will continue to stay here whenever we come to Charleston -- hotel experiences just don't get any better than this!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank April S

Thank you for continuing to stay with us each time you visit Charleston! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our improvements and that you think so highly of our staff. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope your travels back to beautiful Pennsylvania were pleasant!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

There are so many glowing reviews of this hotel, I am not sure I need to add another, but all the kudos are 100% dead on!! I stayed here for 4 nights with my 3 grown daughters for a "Girls Trip" and everything about our stay was wonderful: location is terrific, no auto needed, absolutley lovely room, which was plenty large enough for the 4 of us. (We were considering a suite instead, but decided we would not be in the room much anyway and the standard double Queen was fine with a spacious bathroom to accomodate all of our beatification supplies!) The amenities were unbelievable: great breakfasts, all day gourmet beverages plus coffee and tea, the afternoon wine and cheese, and evening cookies, plus beautiful indoor and outdoor common areas. But the most impressive feature about the French Quarter Inn was the service! It is very similar to that of a Cruise Ship in that everyone is so gracious, polite, helpful and attentive to the guests every need. I have been to Charleston 2 times previously, staying in a B&B, but the French Quarter Inn has spoiled us and we can never stay anywhere else now!!

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony or terrace, but we really did not miss having one. We used the common area...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PAHoney_11
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear PAHoney_11,

I am delighted to read y'all ladies had an amazing "girls trip!" Yes ma'am, we really do pride ourselves on genuine service, and it means so much to us that you recognize our efforts! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.