“Warm & welcome”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Warm & welcome”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived in the evening and the bellman began our stay with a warm welcome. This was the beginning of the staff's attitude and approach. They quickly learned our names and went overboard to do whatever it took to make our stay enjoyable. We were in a suite and the living room, bedroom and bathroom were all large, everything worked and all was spotless. The buffet breakfast had a great variety and everything was fresh. For the afternoon wine and snacks, the staff served us and went out of their way to always have a smile. We enjoyed the after dinner port each evening. The hotel is a good example of what a well trained and motivated staff can do.

1 Thank StanS40
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear StanS40,

I hope you are doing well back in warm and beautiful San Diego! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
Fort Washington
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

After a late flight, my wife and I are greeted by the bellman "by name".. The clerk at that front desk offered champagne and, again, greeted us by name.. There was nothing they wouldn't do to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Wow.. Southern charm and hospitality in a perfect section of town.. We were blown away by the hospitality, friendliness and vibe... We had a beautiful room and an exceptional experience.. There IS a reason why this place is rated so high.. Do yourself a favor.. If you are traveling to Charleston.. Stay here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lefty-BassPlayer
Dear Lefty-BassPlayer,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Fort Washington were pleasant! I thank you for such a wonderful review! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here for one night on our road trip south. We selected the French Quarter Inn based upon the glowing TripAdvisor reviews.

The hotel was initially a little difficult for us to locate -- it's not really on Church Street, It just took a swing around the block. The bellman was very helpful, and our room was a decent size, clean, and comfortable. I don't believe the hotel has room service -- but they offer breakfast things, ice tea, coffee, cookies, etc. in an area of the lobby.

My only criticism of an otherwise pleasant (albeit short) stay was the check-in process. We were the only people checking in, and the front desk clerk took a telephone call in the middle of helping me. The call turned out to be convoluted, with the calling party apparently asking about room rates, availability, etc.

In my view it's discourteous to deal with someone on the 'phone when a paying guest is standing there in front of you. By all means answer the 'phone, and politely explain that you're with a guest and will either call back -- or pop the person on hold.

When she got off the phone I politely explained this to her. She gave me a friendly lecture about the Lord rewarding patience.

Not much more to say about this hotel, but I do have a story about Charleston. When we were there the weather was generally fine, but with interludes of very heavy rain. One of these downpours caught us just after we had lunch, so Her Ladyship and I huddled under an awning on Queen Street.

A car pulled up in the pouring rain, the passenger window rolled down, and a lady asked us if we'd like an umbrella -- while simultaneously handing us one of those collapsible models. It was a surprising act of kindness -- and that umbrella made it possible for us to wander the shops on King Street. The car whisked off -- I noticed it had an Iowa license plate.

I don't know about the Lord rewarding patience -- but hopefully the Lord will reward folks who selfishly give you an umbrella. I'm moving to Iowa.

2 Thank Craig_Walsh
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Craig_Walsh,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope your travels back to beautiful Vermont were pleasant! I am sorry to read that one of our Guest Representatives gave you the impression that they were lecturing on patience, and I am disappointed that they would even do so, but we are using your comments as a great training lesson to the entire staff.

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed only 2 days in this centrally located hotel in Charleston. The staff is just perfect, especially the bell captain's team and the reception team. We felt welcomed from the very first moment on. Around the hotel you'll find at least a dozen high-class restaurants within a 5-10 min walk. Unfortunately we had no more time to visit French Quarter Inn's own restaurant "Tristan", but it's on the list for our next visit.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ZPS
Dear ZPS,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Switzerland were pleasant! On a side note, I love Switzerland as I lived in Lausanne for several months. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We only stayed one night at the French Quarter Inn the night before we were flying back home, but it was wonderful. The staff at the front desk was exceptional on more than one occasion and the room was lovely. We actually stayed at the Charleston Place on the front end of our trip and while it too was very lovely, I thought the value at the French Quarter Inn was much better for the same accommodations. The breakfast, wine & cheese and desserts were wonderful and all of the food was very good. I would definitely recommend the French Quarter Inn to anyone planning a trip to Charleston!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SFTraveler516
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear SFTraveler516,

I hope you are doing well over in beautiful California, and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We just spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Charleston and my husband treated me to this first class hotel. We couldn't have been more pleased. The room was spacious and clean and the service from every one of the staff was exceptional. We had a small mechanical problem with the air conditioning in our room and Brent Gresham, the GM, went out of his way to resolve the problem and make sure we were comfortable. If you stay here, be sure to meet Brent - he is a true southern gentleman. The morning breakfast buffet and evening appetizers were outstanding and provided the opportunity for great conversations with other hotel guests. This was our first trip to Charleston, but definitely not the last. I won't even consider another hotel.

Dear lrbert,

I hope y'all are doing well and staying warm back in beautiful Virginia! It was an absolute pleasure meeting and getting to know you both! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We just got back from Charleston and had a wonderful time there. This hotel is in a marvelous location (but be sure to get detailed directions if driving as the entrance is on an alley) to visit the historic downtown of Charleston. The room was big and quiet (a queen jujnior suite) and the staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. Towels and t.p. were both top-notch, something that is sometimes overlooked in the best of hotels. Special thanks to Darryl at the front desk and Mark at the door for always having smiling faces and even learning our names soon upon arrival. We didn't even get a chance to use the bicycles so we will have to go back soon to use them and enjoy the bedtime cookies and milk some more! The lobby and patio are very comfortable places to lounge and eat breakfast. We didn't get much of a chance to enjoy all of the amenities that the hotel has to offer as we were on the go most of the time. There is also a highly acclaimed restaurant, Tristan, attached to the hotel which has wonderful food.

Room Tip: We were in room 106 which overlooks the plaza. Very nice and unexpectedly quiet too.