“Fabulous Boutique Hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Highlands, North Carolina
“Fabulous Boutique Hotel!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Location, service, luxuries and warm cookies!!! Vacation does not get any better when staying at The French Quarter Inn. Did I mention wine and cheese and a fabulous continental breakfast???
The employees are very friendly and when arriving after a long day in the city, the doorman greets you by saying " welcome home". Southern hospitality is everywhere you go in the hotel. Rooms are fabulous and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear BDRiley,

I hope you are doing well back home in beautiful Highlands! I will actually be in your lovely area this weekend for some R&R...and antiquing! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We (2 adults, 2 children) recently stayed at the French Quarter Inn for two nights following two nights at another Charleston hotel. It was a very good hotel but perhaps I would not go quite so far as some of the opinions to lift it far above the head and shoulders above at least the competition that we visited. The hotel is located in the heart of the French Quarter and right by the historic market. It’s a great , lively location with a good bar and restaurant scene surrounding it (the market has its share of tourist traps but there are plenty of more interesting alternatives e.g. SNOB, Gin Joint etc). The hotel is a modern building versus historic but it does a good job of blending in. Its interior is attractive and seems fresh but also classical with its sweeping staircase from the ground floor to the second floor reception. The hotel’s greatest strength are its staff, their service and hospitality. An example would be that when I emailed the hotel prior to arrival to ask for their help with a babysitter, my phone was ringing just a short while later with the concierge asking for details of the children and letting me know he would set it all up for me. I asked two other hotels the same thing on this trip (Charleston Place and The Cloister at Sea Island) and in both cases I was emailed a number to call myself to make the arrangements. I think its that kind of service that has led to the affection that the hotel is clearly held-in by many. The other notable feature would be the complimentary breakfast, all day refreshments, every evening cheese and wine receptions that all take place by the reception. The concept could be half-hearted and checking a box but it is all done very well and to a high standard.
So all very good! Where I was disappointed and what knocked a star off of the rating was was the size of the room. As you will see from my various reviews, we tend to go for suites pretty much everywhere and our deluxe king balcony suite was one of the smallest I have encountered at its pricing point. Having just come from a much larger suite at Charleston Place I could not help but compare. Having said that, it was nicely decorated with a lounge, bathroom, master bedroom and lounge. The balcony was nice to have and had great views stood at the railing (just the building opposite if sat down). A little bit of noise from the street during the night but it was fine and after all its an indication that you're in the middle of things.

We didn’t try the bar or restaurant though we had some good cocktails sent to the room and room service for the children when we went out. All-in-all it’s a very good intimate boutique feeling hotel with warm service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PADILL
Dear PADILL,

I hope you are doing well back in the GREAT state of Texas! I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay so much, and I thank you for such a detailed review. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Boston
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Cannot say enough good things about this hotel. We chose to stay here based on the stellar TripAdvisor reviews and were not disappointed.

Jenny at the front desk (or Ms Jenny as she is sometimes called) is beyond spectacular and could teach a Master Class in hotel service, down to earth hospitality, travel blogging, irreproachable professionalism, concierge par excellance and even patient troubleshooting when we had a hiccup with lighting and hot water in our room (thanks also to Robert and Laurie for your perseverance and professionalism). Jenny in particular and the rest of the staff as well made our week in Charleston amazing to the point that we can't wait to get back.

One more note about Jenny - she quickly grasped that we are the kind of travelers who want to visit the historical must-sees and eat at the latest hot restaurant but also like to get well off the beaten path in terms of food recommendations, nature walks and local sights. She understood we are intrepid walkers, open-minded diners and eager photographers and she put together daily itineraries that blew us away. Her passion for her beautiful city is delightedly infectious and she has a wonderful sense of humor - when you meet her be sure to ask her about Alligator Alley :)

The daily breakfast is far beyond the typical spread that many hotels put out. High marks to them for this and to the women who scurry about keeping the serving dishes full. A special shout-out to the server with the longish lighter-colored hair who on our last morning took time to go find 2 Granny Smith apples for us as none were left on the tiered serving stand.

We were so busy doing things in the late afternoons that we only partook of the wine offerings one evening but what a lovely addition to their list of amenities. Many have said it before but the champagne or Bellini at check in is a super nice touch too.

And the cleanliness of the entire establishment deserves high praise. Well done. No dust bunnies here.

The bell men, especially Will, are a delight to deal with and by our first morning they were already greeting us by name.

We extended our trip by a couple of nights due to a change in travel plans and moved from our suite on the first floor to room 220 which though smaller is a great room with lots of light, engaging views and a comfy couch for relaxing and unwinding.

The only suggestion we would make would be for management to consider having a designated person to both take reservations and answer the phone lines during the busiest times of day so front desk staff would be more available to assist guests and to answer in-house hotel calls from the rooms. This might help shorten wait times for guests as well as help minimize the excellent front desk staff multitasking and juggling so much.

During our stay in Charleston we got to see rooms at another high-end hotel and can attest that French Quarter Inn wins hands down in terms of pleasing decor, design and warm hospitality. The attention to detail at FQI is beyond reproach - above and beyond.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmilieV7
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear EmilieV7,

I hope you are doing well back in beautiful Boston! Wow...I thank you for such an informative and wonderful review about your stay with us! Yes, Jenny is an amazing service professional, and both Jenny and Will say hello! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the French Quarter Inn for several days last week. I was exploring the possibility of relocating to Beaufort, SC and decided to make an adventure out of it. We stayed at the FQI for one day...went to Beaufort for a few days and then, returned for a few more days at your hotel. Fabulous friendly interactions with Michelle, Darryl, Mark, Will, and Taylor! They knew us by name, asked us how our days were and even Mark took pity on me when I caught a nasty cold and helped get some hot chicken soup to my room...they became friends, who cared, while we delighted in your lovely hotel..Thank you is simply not good enough! How does one describe the kindness of a welcome hug and the genuine interest in you having a great stay. I will comment on one area of disappointment, when I checked back in the later part of our stay, I was assisted by Grant. I was surprised and disappointed by how curt, rude, and condescending he was to me. If he had been my first impression of the hotel, I would be providing a very different review. I must say everyone else was a delight and made us feel genuinely welcome. Thank you again...we have shared with our friends how wonderful you all are and will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sharonorl,

I hope you are doing well back home in beautiful Pennsylvania! It was an absolute pleasure speaking with you and providing such wonderful comments! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

New Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

What can I say about this magnificent hotel that hasn't already been said? Being an HRI student you learn to see things at a different angle, this hotel is by far the most impressive example of how every hotel should be run and service it's guests. Wonderful, a place everyone should stay to truly enjoy the pleasures of Charleston.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear zzznorlax,

Wow! I thank you so much for the high praises...especially from one of our own! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope you are doing well back home in New Jersey! Happy spring!

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

From the moment we arrived at lunchtime to leaving after breakfast the following morning we were made to feel very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The valet parking worked well, all the staff could not have been more helpful, the hotel and room were lovely, the complimentary early evening reception and breakfast were very good, and the location for visiting and walking round Charleston were excellent.
We would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again if we have the chance.
Congratulations to Brent Gresham and his team for an excellent stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 6DeM
Dear 6DeM,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back to beautiful United Kingdom were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Ever since we stayed at French Quarter Inn a few years ago, my husband and I looked forward to going back. I think we loved it even more this time, which hardly seems possible. We loved our corner room with balcony and only wish the weather would have been a little better. We did enjoy the time we spent sitting there though. The room was comfortable, the bathroom spacious. From morning til night, the staff strives to make their guests happy and they do just that. From a great breakfast buffet (and I was extremely excited to see a pitcher of soy milk!), to the ongoing refreshments later in the day (wine and cheese+ every evening), from the turndown service each evening to the genuine friendly and helpful staff, this hotel is first rate. We feel as though we left family behind, and we plan on paying another visit in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cherylpd1,

I hope y'all are doing well back home in New Jersey! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay and the soy milk option!