“Wow!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Do not think twice about staying here! the location is great and the staff is outstanding! Jenny at the front desk gave us superb advice! The breakfast and wine receptions were perfect, the doormen were terrific and our stay was made so special by the genuine southern hospitality! And use Mo's car service if you need to get around town! Enjoy!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are good!
Green Features: The environmentally friendly practices are low key but evident!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank anmarie c
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear anmarie c,

I hope you are stay cool back home in beautiful Boston! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities. Also, Jenny says hello!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family. We look forward to serving you again!

French Quarter Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our stay at the French Quarter Inn was one of the best hotel experiences we've had. The hotel and rooms are beautiful, spacious, and well decorated. I can't imagine a better location - right next to the market area and walking distance to most of the major attractions. Even beyond that though, it was the excellent customer service and the fact they they go above and beyond to make your stay as nice as possible that sets them apart - the champagne at check-in, the wine and cheese in the afternoon, the milk and cookies at nighttime, the turndown service ,etc. They even provided us a really nice upgrade that we didn't ask for. We definitely plan to stay here the next time we're in Charleston.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank OCL25
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear OCL25,

I thank you for such high praises, and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities.

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This rating was challenging for me. I began to wish for a distinction between Hotels and "Inns".

Five star aspects are:

Service- second to none- with a heavy accent on genuine southern hospitality.
Every single employee seems to feel as if it is their individual responsibility to make sure you are happy and your needs are met- from the front desk to housekeeping.

Room- we had a Balcony King Suite, and it rivaled those in luxury European hotels- traditional furniture, but with modern touches and restraint used in color and pattern- I'd call it Transitional style. The bed was better than ours at home, and the drapes are of the TRUE black out variety. The bathroom was spacious and upscale as well. On top of that- I never heard a single noise- not one.

Hotel temperature- this may seem odd to mention to some- but we've all been in establishments where money was saved by not cooling the common areas adequately- and even worse- only allowing room controls to be set at a minimum temp that was not adequate in the hottest part of the day. The French Quarter Inn spares no expense in this area- including a ceiling fan in the room. When it's 110 in the shade in Charleston, this detail is not a trifling one.

Location- you can't beat it ,central to everything for those of us who like to walk- and to a variety of transportation options for those of us who don't.

4 stars: (and why I wish for a separate "Inn" category)

They are currently without a restaraunt, and while the continental breakfast, cocktail hour, and dessert offerings are very delicious and abundant- if you should miss those- want lunch-or have a gluten allergy like me that imposes dietary limitations- you are left with no choice but to venture out of the hotel. Delicious eateries elsewhere are surely in abundance- but a five star hotel DOES usually have a restaraunt and a 24 hr room service option. To be fair- I should mention that you can easily arrange for your continental breakfast to be delivered to your room.

The Wine and Cheese Hour offerings were very nice. Two whites, two reds, an assortment of cheeses and charcuteries, along with olives and nuts made for a lovely and tasty presentation. The only problem is that as this begins at 5:30 pm, and lasts for just one hour, it appeared to be to the appointed hour for all the hotel guests to return from their day. The resulting problem was that the entire display is served from an average size round table, with a single server pouring wine. Which meant that from 5;30 to 6;00 it seemed a bit like a cattle call to me. This could be easily resolved - and could have possibly been unique to the time frame we were guests. This was the only time I had a little of that "Holiday Inn Express" feeling.

I did make my observations known to the management, and the latter comments would not keep us from returning.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite if you can- and I'd avoid the 2nd floor- as it's the main lobby/gathering...
Green Features: The Inn seems to be doing it's part here- including dividing refuse into "recycle" and "trash" categories.
4 Thank firstandfifteen
Dear firstandfifteen,

I hope you are doing well back home in beautiful Birmingham! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities. I thank you for some of the observations and recommendations you mentioned, and I will most certainly share this with my management team.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

For our first trip to Charleston, we could not have picked a more perfect accommodation. The location of the French Quarter Inn allowed us to walk easily to almost every site we visited. The only two modes of transportation other than walking were the ferry to Fort Sumter and a bicycle rickshaw to a restaurant, which was suggested to us by bellman Mark. Perfect. The food offered at opportune times fit our eating schedules perfectly. Hilary and another young woman whose name I can't call up (served us on Sunday, June 1) were so pleasant and perfectly solicitous at the cocktail hours. Our housekeeper Barbara made up the room to perfection every day, and the room itself was as well-designed as any I've stayed in. Marvin in reservations made sure we got the area of the hotel we requested, and bellman Andy was always cheerful and friendly. The smallish hotel was beautifully and richly appointed. We can't think of another hotel/resort we have enjoyed more. 'Twas the perfect spot for our 44th anniversary trip.

Room Tip: We were on third floor on the end near Church Street. It was quiet, neither inside nor outside noise...
Green Features: I had never seen before trash receptacles with half for trash and have for recyclables.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy B
Dear Cathy B,

I hope you are doing well back home in the beautiful and GREAT state of Texas! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities. Also, Barbara and Mark both say hello and thank you!

Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the French Quarter Inn for our honeymoon and it was the best lodging experience we've ever had. From the moment we pulled in, everyone from the valets, bellstaff, front desk staff and housekeepers were outstanding. We made the reservation with them over other hotels that we investigated in Charleston because of the friendliness of Glori, the booking agent I spoke with initially on the phone. We don't regret it for a moment and will definitely be returning the next time we're in town!

1 Thank Joe K
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Joe K,

I hope y'all are doing well back home in beautiful Maryland! Wow--I thank you for such high praises! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Certainly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. I see it as a large boutique hotel. The location is perfect - you can walk anywhere. There is no restaurant, but the hotel is surrounded by restaurants. Instead they offered so many little amenities that made our stay special - champagne when we checked in, an evening serving of port, fresh coffee in the corridor outside our room every morning, etc. Their breakfast is described as 'continental' but is much more than that, with almost everything you could want including champagne and orange juice. Our room 310 was very comfortable, with a large outdoor terrace. I would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank Ted R
Dear Ted R,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities. Also, room 310 is one of my favorite rooms too!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is how a hotel should be operated.The room was large clean and very comfortable. The location could not have been better. The entire staff was excellent. Everything about the French Quarter Inn was perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gus918
Dear gus918,

I hope you are doing well back home in beautiful Maryland! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities.