3,239 results
All reviewspillow menuglass of champagnecookies and milkwine and cheesejelly beansport winedetox waterpillow conciergechampagne on arrivalcontinental breakfastturn down servicem msevening cookiesquicheearly eveningwithin walking distanceupon check
Reviewed 13 June 2009

FQI is just off Church Street in the middle of historic Charleston. We found it to be within walking distance of most things, and very convenient. (You might need to drive/ride to the Charleston Museum, Visitors Center, and other locations further up Meeting St.)

Our room ("Traditional Inn Room with King Bed") was spacious, clean, and nicely appointed, with large screen TV, Blu-Ray disc player, and nice furnishings. There was an armoire but no closet. Bedding was very comfortable; for those interested, FQI offers the increasingly trendy "pillow menu." We rang the "pillow concierge" (really, the front desk, of course) for a "five-foot body pillow".

The bathroom was very large, modern, clean and provisioned with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries. Towels were fluffy and large. The only peculiarity about the bathroom was a serious lack of towel bars/hooks.

The continental breakfast buffet enables you to get "free" (well, cost built in) breakfast each morning, although after a few days it can become repetitive as the offerings (bagels, pastries, fruit, cereal, yogurt) never change. You can eat indoors, eat on a balcony/patio, or have breakfast delivered to your room. In the department of "free" food, FQI also offers champagne and lady fingers upon check-in, afternoon wine and cheese (or tea and lemonade), cookies and milk at night, coffee/tea all day, and pralines on your pillows with the turn-down service.

We indicated on our reservation that we were celebrating an anniversary, and received a bottle of Schramsberg sparking wine (a favorite of ours, actually) soon after our arrival.

Front desk staff were helpful, offering directions, loaner umbrellas, and destination recommendations. Parking is valet only, at $17/day. (To be fair, it seems to be fairly scarce and costly all throughout Charleston, but do budget for this if bringing a car.) As a minor complaint: the valet parking is definitely outdoor; our car always was delivered hot, and upon its final return at check-out, came with free guano.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at FQI. For the level of luxury it offers, $197/night (AAA rate; for weekdays; before taxes & parking) is a good deal compared to some boutique hotels, inns, and B&Bs we've stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
FQIAGM, Assistant General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2009

Your compliments of our property, amenities, and staff are greatly appreciated. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the ever popular pillow menu. We enjoying being able to offer customize amenities to ensure the comfort ability of each guest. Thank you for choosing us for your anniversary celebration and for your wonderful review. We hope to see you for your next anniversary.

Reviewed 10 June 2009

Ok - the hotel is certainly not bad but since everyone is writing raving reviews here, let me be the one that sticks out his neck and gives you a bit of an unlugged view:

Pros:
- Location, location, location
- wow - this must be a 50" flat screen TV......
- public areas of the hotel are very well taken care off and look quite elegant

Cons:
- So-so A/C
- This hotel aspires to convey a Parisian flair - well it has succeeded in providing a trampoline like bed which is unbelievably soft and I am happy to say that we only had to stay two nights as this morning (2nd night) my back is definetely voicing its objection
- bathroom is very nice and posh with much marble but what happened with the shower / tub area? Looks like a sheraton: Platic siding with some cracks and maybe some mildew
- the walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbor's TV at night
- breakfast is complimentary but only continental and even for that very slim selection. My view, either offer a decent breakfast or non at all but this is almost comical
- No pool or gym or spa, which of course was more important to my wife - I would check out the "Charlestone Place" which seems to offer more amenities
- no concierge service to speak of - we just came down from the Outer Banks where we had an unbelievable concierge experience. I am not saying that the front desk staff was not willing, but I think they are just not equipped to provide this service, which at this price I would highly expect

There you have it - I focused a little bit more on the shortcomings but overall I would say it is a good hotel. I must say though that it is one the expensive side for what you get.

Enjoy your travel

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephanklee
FQIAGM, Assistant General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2009

We appreciate your time and effort to offer an honest review of your recent stay. We would like to apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with the French Quarter Inn. Compliments of our mattresses, quietness of the property, more expansive than most continental breakfasts, and our front desk staff that not only handles check in and check out, but are incredibly knowledgeable about all Charleston has to offer are usually what we receive. We are disappointed you were not impressed with our accommodations, services, or staff and that we were not given the opportunity to compensate. As for the Charleston Place, which is a wonderful hotel, it is hard to compare a 440 room property’s amenities versus those of an independently owned 50 room boutique hotel. Again our apologies and we hope we are given another opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed 4 June 2009

Having grown up in Charleston, I was familiar with the downtown Charleston hotels but had not stayed at one. The French Quarter is very conveniently located by Market and East Bay Streets. It's a short walk to shopping on King Street as well. The hotel lobby is very nice with complimentary coffee, tea, and treats throughout the day. Our room was a corner executive room with a large private balcony that had views of the surrounding downtown area. It was very spacious and relaxing. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
FQIAGM, Assistant General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2009

It is an honor to host a Charleston native and to receive such a beautiful review. Thank you for your compliments of our location, complimentary amenities, and our rooms. We appreciate your compliments and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2009

These people have the details perfected! Great amenities, friendly service, clean rooms, wonderful location.... We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Discerning Texas Traveler,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn. We also thank you for helping us to spread the word to other travelers about our renowned service and amenities.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family. We look forward to serving you again!

With highest regards,

Brent Gresham,
French Quarter Inn

Reviewed 22 May 2009

I live in Columbia. My husband and I usually travel to Charleston often. We love the history, culture and it is a very romantic city. We have stayed in numerous locations but this year I had a business seminar that was based in the French Quarter Inn. I found it to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Now, keep in mind that I have traveled all over. I used to love Ritz Carlton chain but they can not compare to this hotel. The staff is extremely friendly, the atmosphere is unbelievable with the historic city right out your door, the accomadations surpass expectations and the "little" extras (like cookies and milk!) make you feel wanted. I loved it so much that we going June 30th for our 30th Anniversary. Can't wait to see y'all!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

To even be mentioned in the same sentence as the exceptional hotel group Ritz Carlton is a great compliment, but it’s even better to have surpassed them in excellence. Our goal is to provide excellent service and ensure each guest is pampered behind their dreams. We are pleased we were able to accomplish this during your recent stay and we look forward to doing it again for your anniversary.