“The Sound of Charleston: From Gospel to Gershwin”

Sound of Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the sounds that define Charleston's musical history...from gospel to Gershwin. Each weekly live concert features music of the Civil War; light classics of the venerable St. Cecelia Society; the music of George Gershwin, who wrote "Porgy & Bess" during a summer in Charleston; gospel spirituals sung by slaves as they passed through the port of Charleston; and "Amazing Grace", the words of which were inspired in the composer, John Newton, while he worshipped in our host venue, Circular Congregational Church. Frommers Travel Guide says, "the best night out in Charleston...a must see performance. Visit our website or call the box office for concert dates and ticket information.
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Last night we enjoyed an hour and a half of wonderful music at the Circular Church on Meeting Street. It was an evening of music from songs that encompassed periods of the St. Cecilia Society, Jenny Lind, Civil War, Gospel Spirituals, Gershwin and Jazz, ending with the singers, musicians, and audience singing "Amazing Grace." The host (and musician) William Schlitt and the rest of the group provided an historical perspective of music in the city of Charleston. I'd advice checking their website and attend any future performances!

1  Thank Kate M
in 90 reviews
"rhapsody"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed 8 March 2013

My wife and I attended the March 8, 2013 performance, and it was absolutely outstanding. Cover music from revolutionary times to the swing era, the performers ranged from a world-class soprano to an amazing jazz duo featuring an 83 year old alto sax player that made me cry. If you're in Charleston on a Friday, don't miss this show.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

We spend about three weeks a year in town and this was the first time catching a show. We will be checking their website for upcoming shows. The Barefoot movement was so much fun to watch and so right on. The other shows were also great. It was nice to pay a reasonable price for tickets, have a glass of wine. Theres not a bad seat in the house. We will be back.

2  Thank outadelaware
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Beautiful area for walking and taking pictures of the magnificent homes that line East Bay and up and down the nearby tree lined streets.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I can't say enough about this concert! I had purchased the tickets for my sister, brother, sister-in-law, husband and myself. From what I had read on their site I thought it would be an enjoyable evening for us all - but even then I was a little apprehensive since it was my idea. No worries! It was a wonderful, entertaining, moving experience for all! When Bill Schlitt described the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg it just brought me to tears. The acoustics in the church were wonderful. Gershwin's Rapsody in Blue was breathtaking! I've never been that close to so much talent and passion. I would give this program my highest recommendation.

2  Thank charlnme