“Creative flavours - no wonder this one is work a stop!”

Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts
Ranked #4 of 18 Bakeries in Charleston
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was suggested to me by a native Charlestonian... and it did not disappoint! The doughnuts are beautifully presented and the flavours are wonderfully creative. Make sure you get there early enough - once they're gone, they're gone! My favourite: the raspberry glazed and the apple bacon fritter.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Heard many good things about this place. We stopped by around 2:30 on a Sunday and the donuts were all sold out and the place was closed. We tried again Tuesday morning on our way out of town - 8 a.m. and there were several varieties to choose from but I wouldn't say the selection was overwhelming. First thing I noticed was that these donuts were expensive. I ordered a half dozen and was pretty underwhelmed with them. The glazed donuts were not light and airy as I prefer them to be; instead they were oddly dense. Don't get me wrong, the donuts were decent but they were definitely not the best ever. Worth a trip if you're a donut aficionado and want to compare to other places; or if you're not picky and just want something sweet.

1  Thank tiffany98va
Reviewed 15 October 2013

First, you're going to have to take my word that I am a doughnut connoisseur. Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts is the real deal! We got there relatively late (about 9:30) and they still had plenty of choice left (maybe 6 or so choices). How many do you need? I tried a few, but my review is based on the good old glazed dougnut; the standard-bearer for all. It is in the top 3 doughnuts I've ever had, and I've had lots. If you're a fan of doughnuts, you have to check them out. All that being said, I can't put GGD in the same category (5/5) as some of the literally world class restaurants we ate at in Charleston....they are just donuts.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband and I own a donut franchise in the San Antonio area and were excited (especially after reading all the great reviews) to check out this place on Oct. 2nd (our first visit to Charleston). We went in about 9:30 in the morning and I was surprised at the lack of selection. There were several strange combinations and several donuts w/ bacon. I ordered an apple fritter w/ bacon and a small coffee and my husband ordered a honey bun. Neither of us finished our donut. Mine was just okay (I didn't like the hard apple pieces in it) and I didn't taste any bacon. My husband described his as tasteless (couldn't even taste the cinnamon). He really wanted a chocolate donut, but the only one they had had sprinkles all over it. Hopefully we just caught them on a bad day.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Go here and get your fix! i'm still dreaming about the strawberry doughnut over a year later. Every doughnut place we've tried since has not compared. Yes, you have to go early in the morning because they sell out very quickly. Here's the thing, a husband and wife own it (we met them in Napa and are very sweet) and they do all the cooking. So they are getting up at 3am to make everything fresh for you and they are working out of their store kitchen, not some large industrial kitchen in a warehouse 5 miles away. This means that each doughnut was made not just that day, but probably just a few hours ago. This also means that when certain fruits are in season, they are using local farm fresh ingredients to add as toppings. I would rather have it this way. Actually, I would rather they let me open a franchise in Baltimore but I will just have to wait for a return trip!