“Nice but expensive”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #40 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here on a personal trip. My husband is a platinum Priority Club member and unfortunately we were not able to use our priority club points for the hotel but we opted to stay here anyway due to the location.

The good news: It is a great location and the building is brand new and so of course everything was fresh and comfy. The staff were wonderful and they probably have the friendliest valet staff of any hotel I've visited. The room was what we expected, clean and comfortable and I'm glad to see the new style of bathroom with just a shower instead of a tub/shower like you see in most hotels.

One other nice note is that our room was right behind the elevators and yet we never heard a thing. I was really tempted to change rooms thinking that we'd be up all night hearing the elevator but it was a complete non-issue.

The bad news - all minor but combined with the high cost of the room it's worth mentioning. We had a couple of issues with the room - the phone was cordless (meaning it had no cord and they were unable to find a cord by the time we left) Of course this was no big deal since we had cell phones. The bigger issue with the room was a problem with the toilet which kept clogging. We called the desk but had to call twice before someone brought a plunger for us.

The other somewhat annoying thing was that the bar was closed by 10pm on Saturday night. We got back from dinner and wanted a nightcap but they were already completely closed. There are plenty of bars nearby but it was pouring down rain so we just went to our room and called it a night. Again, just a disappointment.

All things considered I'm not sure that the stay was worth the price we paid. I wouldn't rule out staying here again but I would spend more time comparing prices with other hotels first.

1  Thank smdaigle
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comprehensive review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, but apologise for the problems you brought to our attention.
We strive to offer the highest quality of accommodations and service, and in your case we have obviously failed to deliver.
I have discussed your review with all concerned, and we will ensure no future guest experiences the problems you encountered.
On closing, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Historic Downtown on any future visit to Charleston, at which time I feel confident we will redeem our reputation.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I very much enjoyed my visit to Holiday Inn in Historic Charleston. The location was very convenient to everything, and the rate was affordable... just the thing for a little staycation with my fiance'! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the customer service was fantastic. I will definitely stay again the next time I need a little time away, and I will absolutely recommend this hotel to my out of town friends and family.

1  Thank lunarmoth

Dear Lunarmoth,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next stayvacation.
Thanks.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is a wonderful hotel located right in the heart of the historic district! Close walking distance to many attractions. The hotel is very clean and up to date (new linens, towels, bed spreads). The bed was extremely comfortable and the atmosphere was very quiet and relaxing! The staff was exceptionally polite and on top of their responsibilities. I was also very impressed with the quality and service provided by the restaurant- the food was delish. I highly recommend staying here!

1  Thank Virginia A
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Dear Virginia A,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit.
It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the hotel and restaurant staff.
We appreciate your business and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future trips to Charleston.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Beautiful Hotel with an awesome restaurant. Service was prompt and always had a friendly smile. I was greeted by the GM and he was beaming about his new hotel and very excited to meet me. I felt very special. I stay in Holiday Inns regularly and this hotel was a cut above extremely luxurious, not the usual Holiday Inn. Charleston is being redeveloped but no issues with congestion and security was not an issue. I will stay here again when I am in Charleston. Love Charleston and this hotel. I highly recommend this to anyone interested is coming for business or leisure.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ssn681
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest and I will pass along your kind comments to the Executive Chef and his fine staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Charleston.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I recently stay at this Holiday Inn for a business trip. I was very pleased with the accomodations the Hotel had to offer. The service and attitudes of the staff made the stay very enjoyable. After 2 long days of meetings it was nice to go back and relax and be taken care of by the bar staff before heading out for dinner. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. Upon check out the staff was very sincere when they said thanks for staying with us. I will definately return to this hotel for a leisure visit. Great Job!!

Peter W

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter W

Dear Peter W,
Many thanks for the great comments following your recent stay. Everyone associated with the property is very proud of our new hotel, and we aim to be the travellers number one choice when visiting Charleston.
We look forward to welcoming you back, when I hope you will have time to relax and enjoy our beautiful city.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

This new facility has all the trappings of a more expensive hotel and in no way feels like a traditional Holiday Inn. Friendly staff greeted us from the valet to the front desk. Just a few blocks from the visitor center and the associated free trolleys, this brand new little five floor inn even boasts a privately run tapas bar in the evenings with a gourmet selection. The only negative was that it is so new that the daytime restaurant staff did not quite have their act together. That said, they were very friendly and accommodating. My guess is that after a few more weeks they will have the routine down perfect.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank calmus88

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We strive to provide the highest levels of guest service, and your comments regarding our day crew in the restaurant are well received. We will certainly improve and fine tune our operation.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was very please with the service I was given as I arrived. The room was great and the restaurant deserves some recognition. The shrimp dish I ordered was to die for. The location was right next to King street, which made it easy to walk up and down market and king street through out the day (no need for driving). The surrounding area itself looks as if it is going through a complete uplift. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hitesh P

Dear Hitesh P,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay at the hotel.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and am pleased you acknowledged the huge investment in the surrounding infrastructure. We are proud to be part of the redevelopement in the area and look forward to the transformation.
We are fortunate to have one of Charleston's finest Chefs on board and I am sure in time, the Meeting Room and Tapas Bar will be recognised as one of Charleston's finest restaurants.
We look forward to welcoming you back.