“Greatest value in Charleston”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed in almost every hotel in Charleston over the past decade, and this is hands-down my favorite for the value and the service. The rooms and common areas are fresh and well decorated, the service was the friendliest I've experienced in Charleston (and that's saying a great deal, because Charleston is a very hospitable city). We didn't have time to check out the dining room, which is a shame, because I've heard that it has a great chef. Walking distance to all of Charleston historic area, and especially the upper King Street area, which has a plethora of great new restaurants. There is a heated outdoor pool on the 2nd floor, almost warm enough to swim in on a chilly February day. I'll definitely stay here next time I visit Charleston.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PollyVousFrancais
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. Charleston certainly has a huge choice of fine hotels and restaurants, and I am delighted we are your favourite.
On your next visit please dine at "The Meeting Room and Tapas Bar" our fine restaurant, I am sure you will not be dissapointed.
Given the choices in town we trully appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

What a great place to stay! Service was impeccable with a friendly staff that really defines "southern hospitality'! I mean, how often are you greeted in the lobby of a hotel by it's manager?! Restaurant was wonderful and the rooms themselves were beautiful! You can't beat the location, the staff, or the hotel itself! We'll definitely be back!

1  Thank beachdwlr75
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Many thanks for your great comments following your recent stay. We are all absolutely delighted you enjoyed the service at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff, exceptionally clean room and very well located. We had late afternoon snacks in the restaurant and had a wonderful experience there - we definitely would have eaten dinner there if we had more time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank droppinout
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Droppinout,
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.
On any future visit to Charleston I hope you will have more time to enjoy the fabulous food served in our restaurant "The Meeting Room and Tapas Bar."
We are fortunate to have two of the finest chefs in Charleston on board, delivering outstanding food and service.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here on a personal trip. My husband is a platinum Priority Club member and unfortunately we were not able to use our priority club points for the hotel but we opted to stay here anyway due to the location.

The good news: It is a great location and the building is brand new and so of course everything was fresh and comfy. The staff were wonderful and they probably have the friendliest valet staff of any hotel I've visited. The room was what we expected, clean and comfortable and I'm glad to see the new style of bathroom with just a shower instead of a tub/shower like you see in most hotels.

One other nice note is that our room was right behind the elevators and yet we never heard a thing. I was really tempted to change rooms thinking that we'd be up all night hearing the elevator but it was a complete non-issue.

The bad news - all minor but combined with the high cost of the room it's worth mentioning. We had a couple of issues with the room - the phone was cordless (meaning it had no cord and they were unable to find a cord by the time we left) Of course this was no big deal since we had cell phones. The bigger issue with the room was a problem with the toilet which kept clogging. We called the desk but had to call twice before someone brought a plunger for us.

The other somewhat annoying thing was that the bar was closed by 10pm on Saturday night. We got back from dinner and wanted a nightcap but they were already completely closed. There are plenty of bars nearby but it was pouring down rain so we just went to our room and called it a night. Again, just a disappointment.

All things considered I'm not sure that the stay was worth the price we paid. I wouldn't rule out staying here again but I would spend more time comparing prices with other hotels first.

1  Thank smdaigle

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comprehensive review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, but apologise for the problems you brought to our attention.
We strive to offer the highest quality of accommodations and service, and in your case we have obviously failed to deliver.
I have discussed your review with all concerned, and we will ensure no future guest experiences the problems you encountered.
On closing, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Historic Downtown on any future visit to Charleston, at which time I feel confident we will redeem our reputation.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I very much enjoyed my visit to Holiday Inn in Historic Charleston. The location was very convenient to everything, and the rate was affordable... just the thing for a little staycation with my fiance'! The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the customer service was fantastic. I will definitely stay again the next time I need a little time away, and I will absolutely recommend this hotel to my out of town friends and family.

1  Thank lunarmoth

Dear Lunarmoth,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next stayvacation.
Thanks.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is a wonderful hotel located right in the heart of the historic district! Close walking distance to many attractions. The hotel is very clean and up to date (new linens, towels, bed spreads). The bed was extremely comfortable and the atmosphere was very quiet and relaxing! The staff was exceptionally polite and on top of their responsibilities. I was also very impressed with the quality and service provided by the restaurant- the food was delish. I highly recommend staying here!

1  Thank Virginia A
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2013

Dear Virginia A,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit.
It will be my pleasure to share your comments with the hotel and restaurant staff.
We appreciate your business and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future trips to Charleston.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Beautiful Hotel with an awesome restaurant. Service was prompt and always had a friendly smile. I was greeted by the GM and he was beaming about his new hotel and very excited to meet me. I felt very special. I stay in Holiday Inns regularly and this hotel was a cut above extremely luxurious, not the usual Holiday Inn. Charleston is being redeveloped but no issues with congestion and security was not an issue. I will stay here again when I am in Charleston. Love Charleston and this hotel. I highly recommend this to anyone interested is coming for business or leisure.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ssn681
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay.
It was a pleasure having you as our guest and I will pass along your kind comments to the Executive Chef and his fine staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Charleston.