“Great Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My stay was great. The hotel was very clean and the restaurant had both phenomenal breakfast and lunch. The hotel is ideally located just a few blocks from John St. and many other great places to have dinner and grab drinks. The front desk staff was very helpful and accomdating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Christopher B
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay.
I am very pleased everything went well and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at this holiday inn with a group for two nights over a weekend. The service was excellent, the rooms were spotless, and the food was phenomenal (we ate breakfast there every morning and they had an excellent buffet as well as a very inclusive menu). We were also only two blocks from King Street; it was an incredibly easy walk to both great restaurants and great bars. Overall a really great experience and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank JackWh

Thank you for sharing your thoughts following your recent stay.
I am delighted your group enjoyed your visit, I also appreciate your positive remarks regarding your breakfast experience.
We all hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Great Location - Being only a block away from King Street, this Holiday Inn is able to offer incredible location at a tremendous value. Though somewhat of walk into the heart of the city, my group enjoyed the experience and found the walk refreshing.

Incredible Service - From the onset of our stay, we were greeted at every opportunity and treated with first-rate service. I find that at my stays with other hotels I rarely elicit a smile from the staff (though, I admit, I can be tough to smile at...). Kidding aside, their kind demeanors made for a truly pleasant experience, and the modern, clean, and spacious rooms offered another testament the the incredible service. Many other reviewers have spoken of the amenities offered within the rooms, and I will attest to their assertions--the room was a truly welcoming experience and provided the elusive home-away-from-home feel.

First-rate Restaurant - I was pleasantly surprised when we chose to eat breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, The Meeting Room. The waiting staff were very helpful and the food was some of the best I've had (the grits are a must try--trust me). While we didn't eat another meal at The Meeting Room, the tapas-style menu looked very appealing and affordable.

Overall, I will definitely return to this Holiday Inn in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JohnSJR22

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and pleased you found our location close enough to the heart of the Historic District yet offering much more competitive rates.
I will share your kind words with the staff and pass on your great comments about breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed here in March 2013 when the hotel had only been open briefly. The room was clean, fresh and spacious - probably the nicest Holiday Inn room I have stayed in. While we enjoy walking, it was a good 15 minute walk to the main downtown area. Due to the colder weather and distance, we took cabs back to the hotel from downtown restaurants at night. We asked the front desk for directions and were told not to walk down Meeting Street in the evening. We followed the advice and walked down King Street with no issues, but would have been preferable to be in a location without limitations. However for the price, the holiday is a decent value. We enjoyed our breakfast in the restaurant.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Many thanks for leaving a review following your stay in March. I am sorry we only scored an average rating.
We strive to provide the highest levels of accommodation and guest service and it would see we fell short in your case.
Should you visit Charleston in the future I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Within walking distance of all of the popular streets in downtown, I was so impressed with this hotel. When I went to my room I was shocked at how modern and HUGE it was. A corner room, with floor to ceiling windows, I had a kitchenette, dining room table, sectional, desk, tv, then a king bed with another tv, and a really large, gorgeous bathroom. Everyone working there was extremely nice, and I had a great conversation with the bartender. It felt nice to know I had such a great home base while I was traveling alone in the city for the first time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Samantha S

Wow. Thanks for your great view. Based on your description of your room it sounds like you got to enjoy one of our suites.
While you pointed out the Tv's in the living room and bedroom, did you know there is also one in the mirror in the bathroom?
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We had a nice experience in the Downtown Holiday Inn, which has been recently renovated. Kristen at the front desk was very helpful to us. She recommended we try the just-opened "The Ordinary" for dinner (from the folks who gave you "Fig"), and we loved her recommendation. One needs to be very clear about the location of the "downtown" in relation to this Holiday Inn. Anyone who casually says you can "walk downtown" is an Olympian. We had a rental car, and it was a must, even if one must pay a parking fee. It is a straight shot to the heart of downtown, but it is a decidedly over-long walk. We ate breakfast in the dining room one morning, and it was fine for the quick bite we were looking for. Two very hardworking young men did as good a job as could be done serving all the diners. About two blocks over a handful of nice restaurants provides close-by dining. Just be aware it is not the ritziest section of town. Although the bedsheets were not as absolutely immaculate as I like them, the room was pleasant, had a new feel, and was clean overall. The swimming pool is quite tiny, but we were not looking for that. We decided we preferred this at its price, as opposed to the $500 a night B & B's downtown.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toran I

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the hotel following your recent stay.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and glad you liked Kristen's recommendation for dinner.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

From the time we checked in the level of friendliness and service was amazing! The front desk was so helpful. And the hotel Restaurant was sooo good. We were tired and didn't want to leave but didn't really expect much at the hotel restaurant...suprise.., it was one of the best meals we have had in a long time! Kudos!

• Stayed: May 2013
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for your rave review following your recent stay.
I am delighted you both enjoyed the food in the restaurant and experienced great service from the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back.