All reviewsking streetfront deskvalet parkinghistoric downtownmeeting streetfree trolleyvisitor centerfew blocksupper kingbars and restaurantswithin walking distancehotel restaurantvalet servicethe room was niceupon checkcity markettammy
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stay with my wife and son for three days. We stayed in the same hotel 3 years back and were stunned when we arrived that the hotel is still on Meeting st but has moved from its earlier prime location on Meeting st. To a horrible location and quite far from the main attraction areas. Surprisingly they sold their earlier location to Marriott. Because we booked in advance and one day deposit was non refundable so we stayed but endured the inconvenience of long walks to places of attraction. Surprisingly they are still using the same old pictures of earlier place. We were also charged $16 per day for Valet parking. On our last day we we returned back to our hotel there were no spots to park my car even to hand over my key to valet parking guy, so I somehow squeezed my car next to another car and requested the valet parking guy to take my car to park. He flatly refused to take my keys demanding me to first I should park my car properly and then only he would take my keys. I called the manager who was never there and then an assistant to the manager reluctantly helped me get my car keys to park my car in their valley parking. I had to endure this commotion even after paying for valet parking services. If you are traveling with family never ever stay as the area is very deserted and staff is horrible

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Annsarkar
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I am in receipt of your review and would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of the points you made.
On opening, we did not move from another location. The former Holiday Inn changed ownership about three years ago and decided to join the Marriott family of hotels and is now a Courtyard.
The pictures of this hotel are all current, and we do not have any photos of the old Holiday Inn on any of our on line sites.
I met with you on Friday morning as I was not here at midnight on Thursday evening when you returned to the hotel, As soon as I was made aware that you wished to speak to me I met you outside where I apologised for the inconvenience you experienced. Furthermore, the manager of the Valet department also called you to express his sincerest apologies for the misunderstanding.
On closing, I am deeply dissapointed that despite us giving you full credit for three days of valet parking and my email of apology offering you a complimentary stay as our guest, you chose to leave this daming review.
We strive to offer the highest levels of accommodation and service, and clearly in your case we have let ourselves down.
I would once again like to apologise for the problem you encountered on Thursday evening.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

New Hotel, very clean, friendly staff but is too far from downtown & too noisy being right on Meeting Street. Street sweepers & garbage pickup woke us about 2:00 AM. Did not realize the free shuttle comes directly across the hotel. We did not know this until our 3rd day there. We walked to the battery, market & restaurants. Had blisters on my feet while wearing tennis shoes. Opted for the Elevator Breakfast on third day, bad choice. My husband ordered eggs over easy, they were scorched. I ordered scrambled eggs with bacon, bacon was too done. Did not have the Charleston Grits that I dearly love, very disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor with view of the Bridge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Thank you for completing a review following your recent stay in Charleston.
I am glad you liked the hotel, but was disapointed to read that you were not made aware of the complimentary shuttle until your third day.
While we are not located in the market area, the shuttle runs from the hotel down to the Battery and back on a continuous loop till 9pm everyday.
Regrettably in Downtown Charleston due to the narrow streets, the City do start their daily cleanup early, and I apologise you were woken up.
On closing, I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast with the Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager, and they both join me in expressing their apologies for our shortcomings, and thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Excellent stay for 4 nights with my couple and two other couples. Tyler the manager was great and very helpful, along with Nicole and the entire valet staff. The hotel is brand new, no mold in vents, or outdated furniture. The hotel restaurant and staff was great and good selection of food there if the weather is bad. King St and the Market is a walk, or bike ride away (Affordabike - bike rental is 1000 ft away from hotel to rent bikes from). Grocery store, gas station and ABC store all within walking distance. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. Well worth the price, in fact probably cheaper than they should charge. Pool was in great shape as well. No issues here, even the maids were nice and spoke as you were leaving out. Great first impression, will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you opt for a balcony, rooms ending in 10 - 18 have the pool directly out of your window.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your thoughts following your recent visit.
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and will share your kind remarks with Tyler, Nicole and the Team.
We look forward to seeing you again when you next visit Charleston.
Thanks

Reviewed 17 July 2013

this hotel was right in downtown, close to historic sites and restaurants. the rooms were very new, clean and modern. the staff is also very friendly and helpful - they seem to really enjoy what they do. and if it matters, this holiday inn has the nicest hallway carpets of any hotel that i've stayed at - it's a very cheerful purple/pink floral design.

as others have pointed out, the neighborhood is a little sketchy, but i do see new construction around the hotel. also i stayed out until 10pm one night and walked back via King Street and I felt safe.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay following your recent trip to Charleston.
Your kind comments regarding the hotel are much appreciated. I have the pleasure of working with a great team of people who care about the service they provide our valued guests and I am pleased it shows.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Let's start with the pros - it's a new hotel, with clean, comfortable rooms. Also the staff is pleasant and helpful. But, the location is pretty sketchy - I'd recommend checking google streetview before booking. There are a couple of condemned buildings in the immediate vicinity and a few with bars on the windows. Also, it's a bit of a walk to the tourist areas (but there is a free shuttle until 9:00). If you're in town for a day or two of tourism, I'd recommend looking for something closer to the French Quarter. It will probably be more expensive, but you'll be a lot closer to the sites.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SouthboundEventually
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel following your recent visit to Charleston.
While delighted that you found the hotel comfortable and the staff accommodating, I am disapointed to read your comments regarding our location.
As many others have noted, the area is undergoing significant redevelopement with many new projects near completion and more planned for the future.
When making mention of the two condemned buildings, I think you may be referring to the building across the street which is infact being restored, and the house behind the hotel which is being preserved and relocated to another location within the Historic District, due to its historical significance.
While we are just under a mile to the French Quarter, a complimentary shuttle service is available across the street and many of our guests have said how much they enjoy walking down King Street which is one block from the hotel.
On closing, thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate all the feedback shared by our valued guests.