“Definitely stay here and enjoy Charleston”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #39 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Definitely stay here and enjoy Charleston”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My grown daughter and I just stayed here for three nights. The staff was very helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The fitness center was small but very sufficient. I would definitely recommend staying here. The only downside is that it is not located in the heart of old downtown Charleston. However, everything was walkable from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you.
We love to hear when one of our guests had a good visit.
Hope to see you again.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Lincoln Park, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here for a girls weekend. We checked in on Thursday and checked out Monday morning. The front desk service was great! Very accommodating and explained everything very well. They even showed us how to get around the city. They also allowed us to check into our hotel room early.
Our room was very nice and clean! Room service cleaned the bathroom every day as well as made the beds. Very typical. The hotel also smelled very good!
There was a demolition going on next to the hotel, but it was during the day when we were not in the hotel. The demolition stopped very early so we never even heard or saw them.
The only option for the hotel is to valet park your vehicle, because they have vehicle elevator parking. The down side is that it is $16 dollars a day. The plus side, you can pay cash, per day, so that the fee doesn't automatically charge to your account. Also, leaving your vehicle at the hotel is a good option as well, because King St is only one block over and everything is in walking distance. This is the furthest hotel from the shopping district, but it's only one more block down.
The Meeting Room is a great option for tapas when you've ate a late lunch and are just looking for something smaller to eat. I would recommend the buffalo wings and the flat breads.
Overall this hotel is a great option for a stay in Downtown Charleston!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank You.
Come on back.
We look forward to seeing you.
Tega Cay, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a new hotel and the room we were in(3rd floor facing Meeting Street) was clean and quiet. The room was well equipped with ammenities: small safe, refrigerator, coffee maker, wi-fi, TV etc.
The fitness room was well equipped with treadmills and free weights.
I had breakfast one morning in the restaurant and was not impressed. The waiter forgot to bring coffee and the cook needs a bit more experience cooking eggs.
Employees in the lobby in the morning were noisy, joking and laughing both mornings I was there. Not a great atmosphere for starting the day.
Valet parking is a plus.
The location is a bit far from historic downtown for walking but the bicycle cabs are a good way to get downtown.
This hotel is on the fringe of an area that is being renovated so ultimately should be in a nice area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harry W
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay,
I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the problems you experienced with your breakfast service, and I have discussed the matter with the food and beverage manager.
Our staff love to come to come to work, so I will ask them all to tone it down. I certainly don't want their enthusiasm upsetting any future guests.
New Port Richey, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I always expect a certain quality when staying at a Holiday Inn and this one did not disappoint.
Great location, updated decor, great restaurant and bar. Since parking is often an issue in the Historic section of town, we took advantage of the concierge parking and didn't regret it. We stayed for two nights and never had to move our car. The personnel at the front desk were wonderful and recommended a particular trolley tour which we thoroughly enjoyed and gave us great directions to wherever we wanted to go. Though a little on the pricey side, I would recommend this hotel for people who want to be within walking distance of most of the sights.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyndie S
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.
We all value the input from our former guests, and take great pleasure hearing someone had a great stay. Charleston takes care of it's self but we want to ensure you enjoyed the hotel.
Thank you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My band and I stayed at this hotel at the end of Oct. It couldnt have been more conveniently located to the venue we were playing as well all the food and shops on King St. The hotel seemed brand new, staff was super friendly and accommodating. I stay in hotels at least a hundred nights a year and I couldnt have asked for anything more than this one for our Charleston show.

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony room or a room with a view of the bridge.
1 Thank overlord215
Thanks for the kind words, and especially your comments regarding our location.
We are located on the North Side of Downtown, where all good things are happening.
We strive to deliver the best customer experience and I am delighted we delivered.
We look forward to seeing you again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently came to Charleston and had many different options when choosing where to stay. I decided on this property based on reviews, location and the modern look it seemed to have. Upon check in the staff was very courteous and I was greeted to a very spacious room with a balcony looking out over the pool and Charleston. Everything about this stay was exactly what I needed. This was a mix between business/pleasure and the location, amenities, and most importantly price and value compared to other hotels made this a great stay. I met some business associates in the lobby and before heading out we enjoyed some cocktails and some food at The Meeting Room restaurant where everything was great. Started the night off right and ended it sleeping well. Will definitely be staying here again when I come back in the future.

Room Tip: balcony on a high floor
1 Thank Rift20
Thank you for being so kind to leave a review following your recent stay.
Everyone here will read it and we all hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Charleston.
Kind regards.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was in Charleston for work last week and stayed at this hotel. The rooms are very spacious (I was on the 4th floor), clean, fresh and well kept. The breakfast was great and the older gentleman waiter that served me was a funny and helpful man. For me the best service was from two helpful girls on the front desk Nicole and Jess (Jess AKA "Jingles the Cat" was particularly helpful finding a local CVC - great help, sorting me out with a zombie look for Halloween!). Great staff. I have no hesitation recommending this place and will stay here again.

Room Tip: 4th floor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and took the time to acknowledge some of our team members.
Sounds like to had a good Halloween in Charleston.
We all hope we can welcome you back on your next visit.