“The best staff I have ever met. I highly recommend staying here!”

Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown
Ranked #39 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“The best staff I have ever met. I highly recommend staying here!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our first trip to Charleston and not sure where to stay. This Holiday Inn was the best value for the money. It was close to shopping (King Street) and the visitor center for tours.
When you visit stop by the bar and greet Kevin...he knows all the great eating places. The valet staff was the best...greet Mike C...he went above the call of duty (even vacuumed the inside of the car). Front desk people are always pleasant and willing to help.
You have a lot of hotel choices in Charleston, consider Holiday Inn first. I'll be back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your great review and taking the time to recognize some of the team members you encountered during your visit.
We are delighted your stay was a good one, and look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Truth be told, I can be a bit of a hotel snob and try to avoid chain hotels if possible. However, my idea of chain hotels has changed - particularly Holiday Inns - based on the experience I recently had at the Holiday Inn Charleston in the historic downtown area.

Location was tops! A block or so from upper King street where all of the action was!

First, I have to compliment the entire staff from valet, check in, maid service and check out. I have never been greeted by such friendly people with warm smiles as much as I was at this hotel. No matter what time of day, the warmth of the hotel staff shined through, so THANK YOU! Always makes a stay at a hotel much more pleasant.

Second, the gentleman at the front desk (upon arrival) was a star at giving us advice on what to see, what to do and, overall, what to eat and drink (which are my favorite things to do!). Great recommendations!

Finally, the hotel was impeccable. I truly could not find a single area of the hotel that needed any kind of improvement - was beautiful and clean from corner to corner.

Would I stay there again? 100%!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard K
What a pleasant and detailed review.
The entire team is delighted you enjoyed your visit. Brenden on the desk definitely takes guest service to the next level.
I am fortunate to work with a great team of professsionals who take great pride in what they do.
We hope to welcome you back on any return trip to Charleston.
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I can't say enough good things about the Holiday Inn Historic Charleston on Meeting Street. I had an extended stay here and the staff went above and beyond to meet my needs. I had breakfast and dinner several times at the hotel and every meal was excellent. The bar is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy tapas and drinks in the evening. I've stayed at many hotels in downtown Charleston and I have not had a better experience anywhere. The front desk staff was exceptional in their service and attention to detail. The amenities are excellent…. the pool, workout facility and library are all so enjoyable. The rooms are roomy, comfortable and very clean. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: See if a room with a patio is available!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
It was a pleasure to read your review and on behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for your marvelous comments about the hotel and staff.
We all take great pride working here and I am glad you had a great experience.
Thank you.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Great service at the front desk, good atmosphere at the restaurant and bar area. Very polite personnel and always attentive to needs of guests. We never came to a dirty room..... Enjoyed our time at the pool was very courteously helped by staff on suggestions on where to eat and visit while on our stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
We are all pleased to read you enjoyed your experience at the hotel.
Thank you for mentioning your time at the hotel's restaurant and bar. We are lucky to have some of the finest culinary professionals in the country on staff, and it is great they get recognition for all the hard work they do.
If you return to Charleston, we all hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Have stayed in many Holiday Inn's around the country and the restaurant/ bar in this Charlston location is the best one I have been. Even the oatmeal was great. We had wine and beer at happy hour prices; she-crab bisque excellent as was the locally grown pickle platter. Southern style Maryland crabcakes is delicious and generously proportioned.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5 floor with a great view of the bridge.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent dining experience at the Meeting Room and Tapas Bar.
I am glad you enjoyed the items on our menu. We have a great team in place and proud of the experience they deliver.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The front desk went above and beyond to make this trip a memorable stay. We walked to the heart of downtown and we enjoyed every minute - the more walking the more enjoyable Charleston can be. We stayed on a 5th floor suite, which was all-the-sweeter! All of the restaurant recommendations were perfect - and it was a great trip.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a suite, with more room than you could ever imagine! Great view from the 5th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank First L
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I visited Charleston for Valentines Day and stayed at Holiday Inn in Historic Downtown. I can't speak highly enough about our treatment from the time we arrived. A special thanks to Austin, who welcomed us to the hotel; Brendon, who gave superb service at check in; and Jamie who assisted us before and during our stay. These three individuals gave us 1st class treatment! Thank you for giving such great customer service.

The room was fantastic! It's a new hotel, with a very modern touch of class. The lobby was very inviting. The room was very clean. I believe we had one of the best suites in the hotel and we were most grateful. I felt very appreciated as a platinum IHG member. Thanks to everyone for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank K J
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit.
I have shared your kind words with Austin, Brendan, Jaime and the rest of the team.
We appreciate your loyalty and recognise your IHG Rewards status.
We hope we can welcome you back on any future trip to Charleston.