“Cool and Comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Cool and Comfortable”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I came to Charleston for a get away weekend with a girlfriend. We had a wonderful balcony room and there are tons of yummy restaurants within walking distance. Kristin at the front desk gave us an excellent recommendation about Second Sunday. We enjoyed strolling down King Street and loved the great "locals feel". We really enjoyed lounging out by the pool area and are looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Opt for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Valet was very courteous front desk was not helpful and actually gave wrong info. regarding shuttle bus. Restaurant was a complete disaster - waited 45 mins for very disappointing breakfast service was absolute terrible. Will not recommend and will not return.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 3lamkins
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the problems you experienced during your recent visit.
Our guest service staff are usually recognised for their outstanding service so I am very dissapointed to read your comments.
I would also like to apologise for your experience in the restaurant.
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Let me address the issues about the neighborhood. I think the people with issues about the surrounding area haven't stayed in an urban city before. Yes, if you walk one block over you will be near govt housing. But this is any city you stay in. If you go a block or two in the wrong direction you are bound to be in an iffy spot. The hotel has a night guard and keyed entry. At no point did I feel unsafe except for when we went to the Bi Lo down the street. DO NOT go to the Bi Lo. To get to King street (bars/shops/restaurants) you literally turn left and walk a few yards up Woolfe St and you are in a great district. Tons of places to eat. Close to bars and shops. The hotel is in a great spot. The view isn't spectacular but really who spends that much time admiring the view from the room? The staff were awesome. Be sure to tip the valets. I would certainly stay here again. The bends were comfy and rooms well appointed and I thought the location great.

Tip: hit up the Saturday farmers market for breakfast and lunch. It's cheap and you get a great variety instead of waiting in line at some overpriced stuffy restaurant. Avoid king street bars after 10 pm unless you want to be surrounded by drunk college students.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mandabeth
Thank you.
I totally agree with your comments and would like to thank you for leaving such a positive review regarding our location.
We are located in the middle of an area of the city which is being transformed each day and within the next year will experience a complete face lift.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look foward to seeing you again.
Kindest regards.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I was a member of the Vietnam unit that had a reunion there on April 8th – 10th.
I was late in obtaining a room reservation, so I contacted "Jessica" and advised her of my situation.
She assured me that I would have a room and would be charged the special $139.00 rate that was being given to the reunion group.
Because I wasn’t arriving in Charleston by bus until about 9:00 A.M. on April 7th, she assured me that my room would be ready early and that I wouldn’t have to wait until the 4:00 P.M. check-in time.
When I arrived at the hotel at about 9:30 A.M., "Tammy" greeted me at the front desk.
When I identified myself, she advised me that my room was ready to check into and that there was no need for me to wait for any length of time.
During my 4-day/3-night stay there, I met with and chatted with her several times and found her to be very friendly and helpful and accommodating to me.
When I advised her that my bus would not be leaving Charleston until about 7:00 P.M. on April 10th and that I would be remaining at the hotel until late afternoon, she offered to let me stay in my room for 3 hours past the 11:00 A.M. check-out time.
That allowed me to get some extra sleep before checking out and making the long, tiring bus ride back home.
I never got to meet Jessica, but between her and Tammy, they both made the reservation process and my stay there very easy and enjoyable.
I personally rate them “5-star” employees.

Frank Lavallee
Valrico, Florida

1 Thank Frank L
Thank you for taking the time to recognise Tammy and Jessica, they are both valued members of the team and I appreciate all they do, everyday.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back on any future visit to Charleston.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Came to a home and garden tour in Charleston and stayed at this Holiday Inn and had a great stay. The room was beautiful, we had a great balcony patio and the room was very clean. The people were all very nice. All the valets were friendly and Brendan at the front desk was very helpful and gave us some great advice and recommendations. You can walk to town easily and there are great restaurants near the hotel. And even though they have a restaurant they still offer free coffee in the lobby. I almost always stay at Holiday inns when I travel and this is one of my favorites, it reminds me of an Indigo.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony patio on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Thanks.
Gloversville, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here one nite recently. It's a brand new hotel and is nice but we were disappointed to see that the neighborhood wasn't better. We were hoping to walk to our dinner restaurant but didn't feel comfortable so we took a cab. If this hotel were several blocks further south, it would be great. We had a drink in the bar which was nice. At 5:30 am, the fire alarm went off. The manager gave all the guests a free breakfast to compensate, which was a nice touch. It seems to be a well- run hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for leaving a review following your recent stay.
The hotel is located in an area of Downtown which is experiencing significant redevolopement and I assure you it is certainly safe.
Upper King is only one block away, where some of the city's finest restaurants can be found.
On any future visit to Charleston I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Saluda, NC
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This Holiday Inn is overpriced for it's poor location on Meeting Street and renovations that already have quality problems. The staff, valet and bellmen are the only 4 star quality in this IHG holiday inn. It's location is a long walk to the main sights in the historic district and you do not want to walk at night in this area. Parking garages in this area have full time security on duty at night for good reasons. Balcony rooms overlook a parking lot with nighttime 1000 watt Halogen lights. The rooms are clean with good beds and the bathroom is modernized yet average. Towels are basic and not on the plush size. Pillows are horrible so bring yours from home. Locks on our sliding door to balcony was bad.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a Balcony poor view room.
Green Features: They had plenty of Hot water and a shower that put out lots of water which it what it should do when you are paying these prices.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dave N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
I would like to thank you for your review.
I am disapointed to read your comments regarding the area as currently there are significant new properties being developed. Beside us a third luxury apartment complex and on the corner of Upper King Street an $80 million new hotel with mixed use retail facilities.
While not in the heart of the Historic District our location is ideal to explore the newly revitalised stretch of Upper King which is a one mile walk to the market.
As the area continues its transformation I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back.