“Great hotel in downtown historic Charleston”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This was our first trip to Charleston and first time at this hotel. Even before we arrived we received an email from the concierge offering to assist with dinner and other reservations. We had her book us on the photo walking tour. We arrived early so could not immediately check into our room, but they parked our car in the garage, stored our luggage, and provided us with places go grab a lunch. Later, when we went to our room we noted the very nice floors and very comfortable room. In the morning, to our delight, they had coffee and various pastries on each floor near the elevators. Wonderful! The staff was very friendly and helpful.. Before we retired for our night, we went to the rooftop bar for a great view of Charleston Harbor and a beverage. Very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experience while staying with us. I am glad you found the pre-arrival email to you from our Concierge to be helpful. They do all they can to make your sight-seeing and dinner reservation decisions as convenient as possible. From the description of your visit it sounds as if you enjoyed all of our amenities and services. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will allow us to serve you again.
Thanks for your comments, we will look forward to your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Outstanding hotel that truly reflects Charleston. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Thank you for using TripAdvisor. I couldn't have said it any better then you. Market Pavilion does reflect Charleston and we appreciate your recommendation. We hope to serve you again.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

My wife and I both graduated from universities in Charleston, we met in Charleston, and we got married in Charleston. We recently returned for our 25th wedding anniversary and were referred by Charleston friends and natives to the Market Pavilion (the power of the word of mouth). We stayed in a Junior King Corner room overlooking the Market and East Bay and loved the king bed...so comfortable that we actually peeled back the covers to look for brand name labels for the mattress and linens! Having tea, coffee, fruit and pastries available on each floor each morning was excellent, and the nightly turn down service was very friendly and much appreciated. We loved the shower and jacuzzi, but the sink area was a bit crowded.

Our room came with access to the concierge lounge for breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails and I want to take a minute to thank your excellent staff for their hospitality and friendliness. Susanne, Kathryn, and Cara were exceptional and kept the whole lounge sparkling clean, refreshed with food and drink, and brought all of the people together. We had very nice and meaningful conversations with each of your hostesses and many of the other guests. It was well worth the expense and helped us save on other meal and drink costs throughout our 3 day stay. Great job ladies!!

Grill 225 was amazing. Many thanks to Mr. Palasis for the outstanding complimentary champagne, and without a doubt we enjoyed the best fillet mignon steaks of our lives. They were absolutely perfect, and accompanied with the best shrimp I have ever tasted. The side dishes were average, but the steak and shrimp outstanding. This was truly an amazing meal and set apart by the exceptional service of Jeff and Tonya. Jeff's relaxing and welcoming style and description of the menu, wet aged beef, etc. were remarkable. One matter needs your attention, however. We were warned prior to entering the restaurant area by your hostess that the floor is extremely slippery for women in heels. My wife nearly fell twice, even after being warned, and I had to escort her out by the arm upon our departure. We noticed other women experience the same unsafe condition. This needs to be corrected.

Would agree with many of your other reviews that the Pavilion Pool Bar is less than special. We had drinks there the first night and then opted to go elsewhere the rest of our stay. The views are nice looking north and east, and luckily we had a nice breeze, but the wait staff seemed disinterested and the drink quality average. Basically, it was just a bar and nothing special. We had better nightlife experiences elsewhere.

Last, I would like to thank your concierge Melissa for taking care of our needs both prior to arrival and during our stay. She was most pleasant and helpful each time we visited with her. She seemed especially proud of the hotel and city and she was very eager to get us pointed in the right direction on our quest to find an appropriate piece of Charleston art for our home commemorating our 25th wedding anniversary. Needless to say we were successful in part due to Melissa and her knowledge of the city. Thanks Zeus!!

Again, this was a a wonderful return for us to Charleston. We look forward to coming back again soon and staying at the Market Pavilion.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2011

Thank you for sharing you recent experience here at the hotel. I know the staff will appreciate reading your assessment. I am pleased you had a wonderful return to the hotel. Susanne, Cara, Kathryn and Melissa will be pleased to know their efforts did not go unnoticed.
Thank you again for your candor, we will look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Loved everything about this hotel! Awesome roof top bar, restaurant and pool. Great food at 225 grill. They even give you $50 vouchers for food and drinks to use every night of your stay. Hermes toiletries (they are a little too perfumed but they are Hermes). Excellent service, very friendly staff, great city center location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Thank you so very much for your kind remarks. Sounds as if you had a great time while you were here. Our staff will be pleased to learn how much you enjoyed their level of service. We appreciate your choice of hotels and look forward to serving you again.
Thank you.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

We arrived at the Beautiful Market Pavillion Hotel and were greeted by James, who got us into our room in 5 minutes. The location of this hotel is perfect. You can easily walk to everything and the carriage tours and the public trolley are on the next corner. The room included a $50 per day credit. We ate lunch at the pool rooftop restaurant and were blown away by the view, the excellent, warm friendly service from Miles and the delicious food! The credit easily covered lunch. We also had lunch in 225, which is on the main floor and had the most DELICIOUS lunch there as well. There is a free continental breakfast on every floor as well. The rooms are clean, spacious and the toiletries are Hermes(nice touch!). We loved Charleston and will stay here on our next trip as well. Thank you for an amazing stay!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for your kind assessment of the hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your visit. I know James and Miles will be pleased to know they were recognized for their efforts. You addressed everything that we are proud of; the location, the food and service in both the Pavilion Bar and Grill 225, the spacious and clean rooms with Hermes products but most of all, I am happy you found our service to be warm and friendly. Thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

My mom and I stayed here one night during a 5-day trip to Charleston and Savannah. I am not normally a "fancy" hotel girl; though I can appreciate the finer things in life, I prefer to spend my money on other things. I'm typically satisfied with a "Hampton Inn" and "Holiday Inn Express" level of service--comfortable, but nothing over the top. This is just a way to preface that that does not describe the Market Pavilion! We were greeted by bell service at the curb. (And let me just say, this makes me a little uncomfortable because it seems over the top to me. Where I really need that is at home!) Anyway, from there, we had an acceptable check in experience. I was a little annoyed that the food voucher that came with our room rate was only good until midnight, but whatever.

As for the room, I was really pleasantly surprised by the size and level of finish. The bathroom--with a separate tub and shower--was large. The Hermes toiletries were a nice touch. There are other little touches such as included water bottles, robes, slippers, an umbrella to use in case your weather isn't as good as mine was! There is a turn down service--a little biscuit by the bed, bedspread turned down, drapes closed, and slippers and robe laid out. I found it hilarious, but it was a nice little extra that was unexpected and added to the experience. Here are a few other comments that one might like to know about:

Rooftop bar and pool: I didn't use the pool, though it looked refreshing. However, I frankly wouldn't feel comfortable swimming up there unless I wanted to be watched, which I generally don't. The vibe of the rooftop (for lack of a better description, sorta Euro trash pick up bar, with a tinge of lowcountry beachcomber) is way different from the rest of the hotel (English country house library and smoking lounge). I used my $50 voucher here for pre-dinner drinks, since I had reservations elsewhere. I'm pretty frugal, though, and would never let that go to waste! The drinks were decent, but I was glad I wasn't paying for them out of pocket. For me, they were typically priced for that type of place--in the $8 to $20 range--but that may be sticker shock for people from other areas of the country. We shared the ceviche for an appetizer. It was good--though I'm by no means a connoisseur of ceviche. View was nice.

Bathroom: Clean and spacious. Like I said, separate tub and shower, with a glass door. Nice toiletries. The water pressure was fine. Towels were nice.

Beds: comfortable. Nice sheets and pillows. If I were them, though, I'd upgrade to duvets. The polyester bedspread is so 1990 even for Hampton Inn.

Morning coffee--in the hall. That's a great advantage over having it in the lobby. One can use the included robe to saunter down there and get some java and a roll.

Noise: I live in a city and am pretty tolerant of street noise, so I didn't notice any, though our room (318) did face onto the market, which is a busy place. I did hear other hotel guests from time to time. Nothing bothersome, but if there was a problem guest and you're extra sound sensitive, could be an issue. Given the level of service at the hotel, I'm sure they'd take care of such problems without delay.

Overall, we had a great stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank PlangalDC
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while here at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and the extra touches that you described. It certainly was a complete review. We appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you again.
Thank you for your candor.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Everything about our stay was wonderful. The room was very nice - I loved the luxurious bed linens and the large shower, which my 6' 5'' husband always appreciates. We also really enjoyed the roof top bar - went every night for cocktails and the view. The service was prompt and epitomized good 'ole southern hospitality. The location couldn't have been better and the valet underground parking made taking the car for a short day trip no hassel at all. We'll definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Ask about the view avaiable from your room.