“Awesome location”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have stayed here three times, the most recent time was April 2011. It has always been a wonderful place to stay. The staff is so gracious and accommodating and the rooms are lovely. I am always looking for a clean, quiet and well appointed hotel and this hotel meets all of my expectations. The drinks at the rooftop bar are great as well, such a nice place to sit and look at the lights of the city and the water in the evening. The location is second to none as it is right across from the outdoor market and an easy walk to great restaurants and shopping on King Street. very safe area as well.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with a view of the market or the water, some rooms face a parking deck.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent visit here at the hotel. I am very pleased that the staff continues to meet all of your expectations. We appreciate your loyalty, having stayed with us 3 times. With so many hotels in the city, your chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel is not taken lightly. We hope that when your travels bring you back to Charleston, you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Market Pavilion Hotel

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Just returned from a week at the Market Pavilion with my 'tractor man'. The staff was incredible. I didn't hear the words, "no, we can't do that," during our stay. All our requests were met with smiles and "yes, we can do that." Jordan the concierge was wonderful, suggesting places and things for me to do during the day. Our suite was wonderful and the wait staff so courteous. The valet service was great and very convenient for my 'tractor man' when he came back every evening from his business trips. The private breakfast every morning was a treat to look forward to. The only thing I could improve is that I'm an early riser and couldn't find any coffee until 7:00 on the floor. Thank you for a wonderful adventure and relaxing business/fun/romantic time. We will be back to enjoy more of your hospitality!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent visit with us. I am indeed very proud of our staff and I know that they will be pleased to know their efforts did not go unnoticed. They really care about our guests and it shows!
Thank you for chosing the Market Pavilion Hotel. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife and I picked Market Pavillion for our first trip to Charleston for a quick 2-3 day getaway. The Hotel itself is perfectly located and extremely elegant, yet affordable. We enjoyed the $50 food/beverage vouchers for drinks in the main bar on the ground floor.....our bartender the first night made an impressive Manhattan! Room was beautiful with lovely bathroom and the bed was the most comfortable we have slept in for some time. Great trip and we would defintely return......

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jck
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you found the bed to be so comfortable. We are all proud of the product and service provided by our staff.
Thank you for choosing the Market Pavilion, we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

Large room and baths. Hor's doeurves and wine make dinner. Turn down; robes and breakfast round it out
Roof top bar with great views. Drinks are pricey making club floor a good value.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Trishannnc

Thank you for your candor. We appreciate you choosing the Market Pavilion hotel and hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

We loved the Market Pavillion Hotel. My husband and I stayed for a long weekend in May to celebrate our 5-year anniversary. You can't beat the location. The vibe was exactly what we were looking for in a hotel.....elegant, traditional yet modern, and comfortable. We had no complaints with the amenities.

The only negative I can point out is that the rooftop bar was different from what we expected (so, it might not be a negative point to others). I expected that the bar/pool/restaurant would be for hotel guests only and offer a bit of privacy. It turns out that the rooftop restaurant/bar is open to the public for lunch. I didn't feel comfortable swimming/laying in the sun in a swim suit while people were staring at the pool and eating their lunch. I must not have been the only one who felt this way as I noticed there were very few people in swim suits. Also, the bar turns into a club late at night. I'm 31 and married, so I'm a little past the club scene and wasn't interested in hanging out there at night. Again this is completely subjective and just my humble opinion. The rooftop might be great for some people, but not what we were looking for and didn't seem to fit the vibe of the rest of the hotel. A little disappointment there.

Overall, we loved our stay and would come again. We'd skip the rooftop:)

Room Tip: Try to stay on a lower level as the rooftop bar is kind of loud. Also try to get a room away from t...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank june20

Thank you for your candor. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit. You are correct, what might be enjoyed by some just may not be by others. However, I am glad you enjoyed the visit sufficiently that you would return. I appreciate you choosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and do look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was our 2nd stay in 7 months and once again this just has to be the number 1 hotel in Charleston. Service is amazing, everyone on reception, Suzanne in the parlor. The rooms are spotless and there is an excellent turn down service. The only difference from our last stay, is that there is now a disco (Friday and Saturday nights) at the hotel's roof bar, (or live music as the hotel describes it), so if you are staying on the more expensive concierge floor, you are just one floor below. I had to call reception at 1.30am to request they turn the noise down. I have nothing against the hotel attempting to attract additional income, but this is a 5 star hotel and should not upset it's clientele, in favor of attracting passing trade. Perhaps have an earlier end time (12.00?), or just turn it down from midnight would probably suffice.
This apart the hotel is faultless.

Room Tip: Concierge floor (4th) is excellent (apart from Friday and Saturdays if you are a light sleeper, due...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your candor. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and Susanne will be pleased to know her efforts did not go unnoticed. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by the rooftop music; we do try to be sensitive to the sound levels. We do appreciate you choosing the Market Pavilion Hotel and hope we will have the chance to serve you again. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and spent one night on Friday, 9/16/11 to celebrate our ten year wedding anniversary. We are locals and made it a point to mention this fact along with the reason for our stay. Not only will we not stay there again, now all of our friends know too. We are asked for hotel recommendations a good bit and this hotel will not be on our suggested list. I was impressed with the way we were handled by the bell man and door man when we arrived - I thought "great, this feels like four diamonds!" However, that was the one and only time I felt that feeling. With taxes and parking our bill totaled $400. We ended up with a dated looking, non-concierge level room with two queen size beds (hello, for our ten year anniversary?). We did receive the $50 voucher, but had trouble using it at the bar downstairs as they were completely overwhelmed and understaffed. Employees barely greeted us - this was no Ritz for sure! The rooms were OK, but I have stayed at Hilton Gardens that were just as nice. You are paying for LOCATION at the MP NOT customer service. We should have stayed at the French Quarter Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Thank you for sharing you experience at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit. Our staff typically does an outstanding job of making our guests feel warm and welcome, as evidenced by many past TripAdvisor postings. I am disappointed they did not meet your expectations. We typically receive positive reviews on the rooms, size of bath, cleanliness and amenities. If possible I would like to regain your confidence. Perhaps if you are planning another evening in Charleston, you would call me directly and I will be glad to personally see to your reservation. I appreciate your candor and look forward to serving you again. Thank you.