“Worth a Try”

Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Mid Coast Maine, Maine
“Worth a Try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

We usually stay at Charleston Place or Planters Inn but we needed a room at short notice and those were booked. Charleston Place's very nice reservations person recommended the Market Pavilion. Due to a delayed flight we arrived in the historic district close to midnight. I knew where the hotel was but when I drove past realized there was nowhere to park, no valet. (To be fair, I'm sure this is the case for many hotels in the area.) It took more than 20 minutes of driving around the block and phoning the hotel before someone finally came out. (I tried to sit double parked in front but other drivers kept honking at me to move -- the town is still busy at that hour!) One odd thing about this hotel is that you must walk through a restaurant (albeit very pretty) to get to the hotel lobby. That didn't bother me, but it might some. The rooms are very pretty, on par with Charleston Place but smaller. It bothered me that there was no mini-fridge nor coffee-maker. I like having a caffeine infusion while showering and dressing. When I left the room for a meeting I discovered that a beautiful big urn of coffee had been set up on a table next to the elevator, which by then I had no time for. I just wish they had told me about it at check-in. Otherwise, I thought the hotel was nice and in a good location. The pool looked lovely but too cold to use in November. But if given the choice, I'd go for Charleston Place.

Stayed November 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Lancaster, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2008

The hotel and location is wonderful. The atiitude and smarminess of the employees, shameful... Except for Marcus, the Bellhop, and Ashley, the waitress at the rooftop bar, they must go out of their way to hire shy or unfriendly employees. There are a ton of wonderful places to stay, next time I'll want to experience some of that southern hospitality, somewhere else! Unless you get a great rate, just visit the rooftop bar for the view and go elsewhere!

Stayed March 2008
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2008

I had such a wonderful stay at the Market Pavillion! I am from New Jersey and it was so refreshing to be induldged in Southern Hospitality. The staff was incredible and handled all of my requests quickly and thoroughly (and i was NOT on the concierge level). The hotel itself is like stepping into another time where every detail has been attended to. The rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated and the Hermes products in the bathrooms were wonderful! Not to mention that I had the best steak of my life at Grill 225! The only thing I would change would be to have tea and coffee available 24/7 on each floor. I cannot wait to go back to the Market Pavillion! It is worth the money!

Stayed February 2008
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2008

Whilst the bellman impressively wrangled our luggage and juggled a lot of cars arriving simultaneously, the staff at the front desk were less than happy to help us. Our daughter had arrived before us and checked in with a surly young woman at the front desk, eventually succeeding in getting a room key. When we arrived a man at the front desk proved to be equally miserable. What a sour impression.

Our room however was very nice, on the small side but well equipped, and very comfortable. We looked out onto the market, but had no problems with noise, quite an achievement as it was New Year's Eve. We paid extra for the Concierge floor and it was worth every penny. The Concierges were great ( not to be confused with the lobby concierge who wasn't anything to write home about). We were a group of 10 so this was the perfect spot to get together.

The location is very good, walking distance to lots of restaurants, shops and sights. We had a very nice meal in the main restaurant, on the lobby level.

The roof top bar has wonderful views, the food was OK. It might be a bit weird swimming in the pool which is overlooked and in close proximity to the bar - but hey that's a personal thing. The bar staff worked really hard to get to everyone ASAP, and were helpful..

Check out was as unpleasant as check in - take a "happy" lesson from the bellman, concierges and bar staff. We had a sour-puss of a young woman check us out, weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay, or even "Come back and see us soon", just pay up and leave, which we did.

I have stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel before and whilst the room and services are very similar to Market Pavilion , the Charleston Place most definitely has the edge on the front desk staff. First, and last, impressions do count.

• Liked — Quiet, comfortable rooms, v. good restaurant/bar, location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank cariad422
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2007

The staff was very courteous and always had smiles on their faces. But the best part was the concierge floor. Breakfast, tea (from 2-4:00) and fabulous hors d'oevres plus wine and champagne (from 6 - 8:00) were the ultimate along with the staff on this floor. The room was a very nice size as we like larger rooms when we stay at a place more than 2 nights (we stayed 4 nights). I can't say enough about this hotel and I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — The concierge floor
  • Disliked — The Hermes bath products - way too fragrant for my husband and myself. Why can't there be a choice as to having non-fragrant products?
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2007

We stayed at the market pavilion the weekend before x-mas and we absolutely loved it! We stayed on the concierge level for a little over $200 a night it was well worth it. The hotel is beautifully furnished you feel like you have stepped back in time which I feel is part of feeling the history of Charleston. The location is great! You are right next to the market outdoor shopping where you can find some unique items. You're only a couple of blocks from King Street which has very upscale shopping. All the employees are very professional and ready to meet your every need. I would have to say though if you have small children this would not be the best hotel for your needs. I feel this is more of a romantic getaway or business hotel. I definately would stay here again.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Knoxville, TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

There was not a natural smile in the place from the beginning. Though traveling alone, the turndown service included robe and slippers for my phantom companion. I wonder if male business travelers get the same? Room service meal was three times more costly than should have been, arrived lukewarm, and at 2 a.m. I woke up sick. At 5 a.m. some kind of noisy street cleaning (?) occurred outside on Market Street. No rest for me. The desk at checkout made me feel like I should apologize to her.

Please, stay elsewhere. A beautiful city of great food and famous southern hospitality, Charleston has a lot to offer the traveler.

This hotel's management group should apply their skills in hiring and customer service to the adult detention facility industry.

• Liked — Driving away and seeing the hotel in my rear view mirror.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business