“One of the Best Hotels”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 7 May 2008

My husband and I really loved this hotel. After four days of staying at the Market Pavilion we found everything to be first class and the service unparalleled. Throughout our stay, all of the staff were friendly, attentive and accommodating.
The food in this hotel is also absolutely amazing. We ate in Grill 225 the first night we arrived and then again on the last night before we left. I don’t think we have ever had better steaks then the ones they serve in their restaurant. The Pavilion on the top of the hotel is also a hot spot that can’t be missed. We will be back again and again.

Stayed: April 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,500)

Reviewed 7 April 2008

We stay in a king sized, I guess luxury room. It was nice, comfortable, nothing outstanding about the room. Bathroom was all white marble and very nice size. Our view was the roof top of the Market. Not a good view, don't know what else they had to offer. The location is great, the roof top bar is fun and gives one a different view of Charleston. The lobby and restaurant/bar are beautiful. We had no problem with anyone we dealt with on the hotel staff. The valet attendant was almost too friendly...chatty. Very nice. Front desk staff was efficient & friendly. We liked that you had to insert your key to go to a hotel floor, nice security. Parking was a little expensive and you really had to use the valet, not really any street parking to be found. Loved the coffee and danish they put out in the morning by the elevators! Nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 March 2008

This hotel has a nice location in the center of Charleston but the service is terrible for a hotel of this supposed quality. The bellman took 45 minutes to deliver our luggage and nobody else was checking in. The check in clerk was very confused and tried to charge us a rate that was signifincantly higher than we had reserved. Our room looked directly into the parking area where valet's parked the cars so we had to keep the curtains closed. And when the valet damaged our vehicle, Manager George Buell was completely nonresponsive leaving me to pay the deductible. I am amazed "Leading Hotels of the World" would recommend this hotel. It is not nearly of the quality of others in their program.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R10014
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We usually stay at Charleston Place or Planters Inn but we needed a room at short notice and those were booked. Charleston Place's very nice reservations person recommended the Market Pavilion. Due to a delayed flight we arrived in the historic district close to midnight. I knew where the hotel was but when I drove past realized there was nowhere to park, no valet. (To be fair, I'm sure this is the case for many hotels in the area.) It took more than 20 minutes of driving around the block and phoning the hotel before someone finally came out. (I tried to sit double parked in front but other drivers kept honking at me to move -- the town is still busy at that hour!) One odd thing about this hotel is that you must walk through a restaurant (albeit very pretty) to get to the hotel lobby. That didn't bother me, but it might some. The rooms are very pretty, on par with Charleston Place but smaller. It bothered me that there was no mini-fridge nor coffee-maker. I like having a caffeine infusion while showering and dressing. When I left the room for a meeting I discovered that a beautiful big urn of coffee had been set up on a table next to the elevator, which by then I had no time for. I just wish they had told me about it at check-in. Otherwise, I thought the hotel was nice and in a good location. The pool looked lovely but too cold to use in November. But if given the choice, I'd go for Charleston Place.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 13 March 2008

The hotel and location is wonderful. The atiitude and smarminess of the employees, shameful... Except for Marcus, the Bellhop, and Ashley, the waitress at the rooftop bar, they must go out of their way to hire shy or unfriendly employees. There are a ton of wonderful places to stay, next time I'll want to experience some of that southern hospitality, somewhere else! Unless you get a great rate, just visit the rooftop bar for the view and go elsewhere!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 14 February 2008

I had such a wonderful stay at the Market Pavillion! I am from New Jersey and it was so refreshing to be induldged in Southern Hospitality. The staff was incredible and handled all of my requests quickly and thoroughly (and i was NOT on the concierge level). The hotel itself is like stepping into another time where every detail has been attended to. The rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated and the Hermes products in the bathrooms were wonderful! Not to mention that I had the best steak of my life at Grill 225! The only thing I would change would be to have tea and coffee available 24/7 on each floor. I cannot wait to go back to the Market Pavillion! It is worth the money!

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 11 February 2008

Whilst the bellman impressively wrangled our luggage and juggled a lot of cars arriving simultaneously, the staff at the front desk were less than happy to help us. Our daughter had arrived before us and checked in with a surly young woman at the front desk, eventually succeeding in getting a room key. When we arrived a man at the front desk proved to be equally miserable. What a sour impression.

Our room however was very nice, on the small side but well equipped, and very comfortable. We looked out onto the market, but had no problems with noise, quite an achievement as it was New Year's Eve. We paid extra for the Concierge floor and it was worth every penny. The Concierges were great ( not to be confused with the lobby concierge who wasn't anything to write home about). We were a group of 10 so this was the perfect spot to get together.

The location is very good, walking distance to lots of restaurants, shops and sights. We had a very nice meal in the main restaurant, on the lobby level.

The roof top bar has wonderful views, the food was OK. It might be a bit weird swimming in the pool which is overlooked and in close proximity to the bar - but hey that's a personal thing. The bar staff worked really hard to get to everyone ASAP, and were helpful..

Check out was as unpleasant as check in - take a "happy" lesson from the bellman, concierges and bar staff. We had a sour-puss of a young woman check us out, weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay, or even "Come back and see us soon", just pay up and leave, which we did.

I have stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel before and whilst the room and services are very similar to Market Pavilion , the Charleston Place most definitely has the edge on the front desk staff. First, and last, impressions do count.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family