Market Pavilion Hotel
Andrew Pinckney Inn(Charleston)
Ansonborough Inn(Charleston)
Planters Inn(Charleston)
1,543 results
All reviewsthe concierge levelrooftop barpeter wrighthermes toiletriescoffee and pastriesturn down servicethe general managerevery morninghotel guestsbeautiful hoteleast bay streetconcierge desksouthern hospitalityguest roomscookieslate afternoonthe location is perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was my first time visiting The Market Pavilion Hotel and I loved every minute of it! From the time we drove up to the hotel and were greeted by the valet until the time we checked out we were well taken care of! Melissa from the salon concierge was welcoming, friendly and very attentive , not to mention quite funny! I will definitely return to the Market Pavilion again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your entire experience at the hotel. It’s also great that you stayed on our Concierge Level and received the great benefits and service from our team. We look forward to your return and thank you for sharing your kind comments with us.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Evaluate carefully what you want out of your hotel in Charleston: if a sense of history or place is important to you with regard to the overall ambiance a hotel exudes, you can do much better than the Market Pavilion, a fairly unremarkable city property. Although its location is superb, we were otherwise very underwhelmed, which I realize is contrary to most of the reviews here. What finally swayed me into going with the Market Pavilion was our Leading Hotels of the World membership, as we are supposed to receive significant extras when we book within that membership. So I'll start by describing all those disappointments before I then review the hotel for everyone else.

They clearly do not have the LHW membership status prominent on their radar (which is unforgivable), as we received no recognition, welcome, and none of the bonuses we are supposed to. Although the next highest level of room was in fact available on the website, we did not get the upgrade. Even something more mundane like early check-in was not accorded either. They said they would phone us the minute the room was free before the 3:00 official check-in, so we went to lunch. By 3:30 they still hadn't phoned (!!), so we returned to the hotel and were able to check in at that time. With no upgrade forthcoming, you would think for the membership status they could give us one of the rooms in our category with a nice view, but we had the worst possible room overlooking the parking garage. And the worst failing with regard to the membership was the complete lack of welcome letter from the manager and welcome amenity, which can be something as simple as a bottle of wine, etc. On top of it, our reservation clearly stated that it was a special occasion, a birthday, but again, absolutely no acknowledgement. I've had warmer welcomes and expressions of gratitude for our loyalty from my IPrefer, SLH, and Hilton memberships,which are all free.This membership costs $150 a year, and this experience was so poor that I am seriously considering not renewing. We finally brought all this to the attention of the front desk, and when we returned from dinner on our last night, about 11 p.m., a bottle of champagne had been left, too late to enjoy it. I have never had this experience before in a LHW.

Now the general review: I found the hotel rather odd. There is no lobby to speak of, not that lobbies are essential, but there is no sense of welcome and reception to the hotel, and no place really to sit, relax and meet friends. You enter to the restaurant - it's not even clear that you are in a hotel, and the only place to sit is at tables positioned at the bar area, and if those few tables are occupied, you're out of luck. Be prepared that there is absolutely no wow factor upon arriving at the hotel, (which IS a hallmark of most hotels in the LHW membership). Also, the $50 food/beverage voucher they are currently offering is a nice perk, and definitely "sweetens" the deal to an otherwise overpriced room. However, be warned, you may have to fight for it. Even though it was clearly a part of our booking, it did not make it onto our room reservation,(I guess along with our LHW status!!) even though it was plainly stated on our printed confirmation. We finally convinced them (!!) we were due this, but they had to create and print it out for us, which meant we couldn't have it right away. By the time we got it, it was after dinner; we would have enjoyed having a drink on the roof earlier with it, and they expire at the end of each day.

The rooms are nothing special, of medium size only, and although they are elegant in a generic kind of way,nothing takes them "over the top", or puts them in a 5-star category, particularly in the bathroom. When I pay $500 a night for a room, I am used to getting something much more luxurious, like separate bath/shower, at the least, and more opulent decoration/furnishings. However, what did come with the room at that price was the concierge level, and I recommend this, as others have done as well. You get a breakfast that includes some hot options, as well as a selection of pastries that were incredibly/surprisingly stale. There are afternoon snacks, delicious cookies, and wine and decent French champagne with very good appetizers from 6 -8 p.m. If you like these kind of extras, this might be the bonus that makes staying here worth it. However, the room where you take these extras is quite small, and rather claustrophobic without any windows, and just directly in front of the elevators - not exactly an enjoyable/special atmosphere. Many other properties do this much better, especially in Charleston.

The real draw of the hotel seems to be its rooftop bar, which is definitely the happening place in all Charleston. This is your lounge area, your pool (tiny!!), your outside access, and effectively the public area, since there isn't any on the ground floor. But you will not be accorded any special status, and you will have to wait in line for a table or a place to sit like all the non-guests, and there will be hordes. This place is incredibly "happening", with weddings and/or private events adding to the congestion; it is definitely lively, and the view is great. What is to be commended is the service in the midst of this crush - when we finally got a table, we were served quickly with excellent drinks, even though the waiter literally had to deliver them around a wedding procession.

My suggestion: come here for a drink, a meal, the view, but stay elsewhere, UNLESS you can get the room for $300 (and even then, I wouldn't). At $300 or so, you probably won't be disappointed in either the quality/amenities of the room, especially with the concierge level, but at $500, it is without question a hotel lacking elegance, luxuriousness, atmosphere, and with so many unique properties in Charleston, this one has absolutely no "there" there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Zorro_and_Gatinha
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

First I must thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. Also thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I first must say we are proud members of Leading Hotels of the World and have received minimal to no complaints from its members as yourself. From access to unlimited. As you know these individuals are well traveled and also appreciate the finer hotels, accommodations and services. In reading your review, it seems that you did not know the type or style of hotel in which you were making your reservation for. We are very proud that we have some of the larger accommodation in Charleston, provide our guest with the complementary benefits like our sideboard continental breakfast or the additional benefits you received on the Concierge Level. I must apologize for the delayed recognition, I have addressed this with our staff and I was not in when you arrived or would have met you personally. With reference to your extra benefit of the food & beverage voucher, as our guest this should have been printed an available to you upon check-in. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. Its great you enjoyed the service and drinks. I once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and hope we could earn your business and welcome you back at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Our stay was incredible from the moment our car door was opened until we left! The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful, our room was beautiful, comfortable and clean! I especially enjoyed the 2 wonderful balconies that overlooked the slave market and the Charleston Harbor. Our floor had wonderful pastries, fruit, and coffee out every morning. The roof top bar had wonderful views, the food was delicious, and the pool was very relaxing! The afternoon tea on thw concierge floor was lovely and a nice way to enjoy the afternoon after site seeing and shopping. The cocktails and appetizers that were served in the late afternoon were amazing. The bacon wrapped scallops, cheese and crackers and fruit were delicious. Melissa, who served us for the afternoon tea, cocktail time, and breakfast, was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive to our every need. We came for a much needed getaway and left the Market Place Pavillion relaxed and counting down the days until we can return.

Room Tip: The corner room was fabulous. Definitely opt for the concierge level.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and sharing your kind comments. It’s great that you enjoyed being on the Concierge Level and the many benefits which that offered you. I am also glad you enjoyed your accommodations, view and the Pavilion Bar. Thank you once again and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

This is my 2nd time in Charleston and my 1st stay at the Market Pavilion Hotel, but definitely not my last. The service was great by everyone (especially Susanne the concierge and Melissa and Amanda on the concierge floor). Susanne was very helpful getting reservations at the hard to get into restaurants (loved all of them). Thanks so much Susanne. Hope to see you all in the near future.

Room Tip: I did not see the other floors, but the concierge floor was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion, as being a repeat to Charleston, we are honored that you stayed with us. I will share you kind comments with Susanne our concierge and our team in the concierge level. I am glad that they were able to accommodate your dining needs. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Our experience at the Market Pavilion was fantastic. The location was very central, the service was impeccable and the food was delightful. I traveled to this property with my Husband and another couple for our friend's 30th Birthday. We made sure to take advantage of the roof top pool bar and restaurant every day. It was comfortable and quaint. At night before dinners, we would be sure to take advantage of the Concierge Suite available to us on the 4th floor. Melissa Lockwood is responsible for hosting and maintaining the Concierge Suite for guests. I cannot say enough positive things about Melissa. She is so hospitable, kind and attentive! She made us feel right at home from the minute we arrived for our complimentary drinks and hors d'oeuvres. We hope to travel to Charleston someday soon and stay at the Market Pavilion (mostly to see Melissa Lockwood again!).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your great stay experience and being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are pleased that you could enjoy your friends 30th Birthday with us also. Having all the many benefits of our Concierge Level makes your stay even better and of course enjoying the Pavilion Bar for the evening cocktail or great food helps also. We hope to have you to welcome you back again very soon. Thank you once again.