“Nice Facilities; Lackluster Service”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We stayed here for three nights on vacation in the heat of June. This property has the potential to be a great spot; as it stands, however, it could stand for some improvement in a couple key areas.

The rooms are elegant, though the hotel should scrap the old tube TVs for the flat screen variety and ditch the old-style bedspreads for more sanitary and appealing duvets. In addition, the reception on the TV was pretty bad, which is just plain unacceptable. The marble-clad bathrooms are spacious and the housekeeping staff are generous with the Hermes toiletries.

The rooftop pool area is attractive, but the pool "closes" at 4pm, which is just about the time you would like to take a dip to cool off after wandering around town. More importantly, the service around the pool area is abysmal--the cocktail waitresses, who apparently are also tasked with keeping the towels stocked and the pool beds made, did not change the towels on the pool beds when guests would leave. The staff is more interested in bar patrons than hotel patrons using the pool.

The bellhop service was also poor--we had to call a number of times to have our bags delivered to our room. On the plus side, with five minutes notice, the valet parking staff always timely had our car out front ready to go.

The location is fantastic--near many great restaurants and other Charleston sights--and the design of the hotel is elegant. If ths hotel could improve its level of service, particularly around the pool area, I could more strongly recommend this property.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Market Pavilion Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2008

I'm surprised at some of the earlier reviews, the staff at Market Pavillion were incredibly warm, helpful and friendly (with one exception but that was dealt with by other staff in a superlative manner). the rooms are on the small side, but the location is fantastic. My one complaint with the rooms is that the windows don't open. It may be to contain the noise -- the rooms are silent, no small feat given the location -- but I do hate being cryogenically locked into a place. We arrived with two small children and I booked because they had a pool. however, the pool is in the middle of a bar so it's really very uncomfortable if you're over the age of 5. But not their fault. There is also no kids menu however the kitchen consistently went out of their way to prepare kid-friendly food for us without a moment of complaint. The bottom line is that it's not a hotel for families with small children, however, they welcomed us and did their best to acomadate us which I appreciate. One other complaint is that while it's very nice to have pastries and coffee out in the morning, this is in lieu of serving breakfast in the restaurant. You can order through room service but who wants to pay $30 for eggs? And weirdly there is no mini bar. No fridge, no snacks, no nothing. there is and again I think this is very strange, an ice machine and soda machine in the hall. it is behind a closet door but still feels very Motel 6. so while the rooms are lovely, with great sheets on the beds, staff fantastic, the place seems a bit confused. I wish they had had room on the concierge floor as snacks are available all day plus tea and cocktail service.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank bimmie
Reviewed 7 May 2008

My husband and I really loved this hotel. After four days of staying at the Market Pavilion we found everything to be first class and the service unparalleled. Throughout our stay, all of the staff were friendly, attentive and accommodating.
The food in this hotel is also absolutely amazing. We ate in Grill 225 the first night we arrived and then again on the last night before we left. I don’t think we have ever had better steaks then the ones they serve in their restaurant. The Pavilion on the top of the hotel is also a hot spot that can’t be missed. We will be back again and again.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 7 April 2008

We stay in a king sized, I guess luxury room. It was nice, comfortable, nothing outstanding about the room. Bathroom was all white marble and very nice size. Our view was the roof top of the Market. Not a good view, don't know what else they had to offer. The location is great, the roof top bar is fun and gives one a different view of Charleston. The lobby and restaurant/bar are beautiful. We had no problem with anyone we dealt with on the hotel staff. The valet attendant was almost too friendly...chatty. Very nice. Front desk staff was efficient & friendly. We liked that you had to insert your key to go to a hotel floor, nice security. Parking was a little expensive and you really had to use the valet, not really any street parking to be found. Loved the coffee and danish they put out in the morning by the elevators! Nice touch.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 March 2008

This hotel has a nice location in the center of Charleston but the service is terrible for a hotel of this supposed quality. The bellman took 45 minutes to deliver our luggage and nobody else was checking in. The check in clerk was very confused and tried to charge us a rate that was signifincantly higher than we had reserved. Our room looked directly into the parking area where valet's parked the cars so we had to keep the curtains closed. And when the valet damaged our vehicle, Manager George Buell was completely nonresponsive leaving me to pay the deductible. I am amazed "Leading Hotels of the World" would recommend this hotel. It is not nearly of the quality of others in their program.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R10014
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We usually stay at Charleston Place or Planters Inn but we needed a room at short notice and those were booked. Charleston Place's very nice reservations person recommended the Market Pavilion. Due to a delayed flight we arrived in the historic district close to midnight. I knew where the hotel was but when I drove past realized there was nowhere to park, no valet. (To be fair, I'm sure this is the case for many hotels in the area.) It took more than 20 minutes of driving around the block and phoning the hotel before someone finally came out. (I tried to sit double parked in front but other drivers kept honking at me to move -- the town is still busy at that hour!) One odd thing about this hotel is that you must walk through a restaurant (albeit very pretty) to get to the hotel lobby. That didn't bother me, but it might some. The rooms are very pretty, on par with Charleston Place but smaller. It bothered me that there was no mini-fridge nor coffee-maker. I like having a caffeine infusion while showering and dressing. When I left the room for a meeting I discovered that a beautiful big urn of coffee had been set up on a table next to the elevator, which by then I had no time for. I just wish they had told me about it at check-in. Otherwise, I thought the hotel was nice and in a good location. The pool looked lovely but too cold to use in November. But if given the choice, I'd go for Charleston Place.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 13 March 2008

The hotel and location is wonderful. The atiitude and smarminess of the employees, shameful... Except for Marcus, the Bellhop, and Ashley, the waitress at the rooftop bar, they must go out of their way to hire shy or unfriendly employees. There are a ton of wonderful places to stay, next time I'll want to experience some of that southern hospitality, somewhere else! Unless you get a great rate, just visit the rooftop bar for the view and go elsewhere!

Stayed: March 2008