“Great weekend!!”

Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Florence, South Carolina
“Great weekend!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spend our 25 wedding anniversary at the Market and enjoyed ever thing about the hotel. The service is top notch and the the room was great. The concierge service was fantastic. This is an upscale hotel and it's clientele is people that want to be pampered. We will return to this hotel on our next visit.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely , charming hotel. Stayed for a long weekend. Rooftop pool is nice. Small but enough space. Attentive staff. Rooms are large and very clean. Only complaint was cleaning staff who hid my items in back of random drawers and I thought them gone. Also, rooftop closes very early. So no nightlife option. On a Main Street so lots of places to walk to.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer D
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our location. I am not sure of the time you were at the Pavilion Bar, but we do not close until 2am and we have great music with a DJ on the weekends. We hope that you stay with us again in the near future and thank you for sharing your kind comments with us.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Happened upon the MPH after researching dozens of options in Charleston. What a wise choice it was to choose this property as our first lodging for our first trip to Charleston. From the bellman, the doorman, the front desk crew, the concierge, housekeeping and all of the really nice people we met along the way -- what a class act.

The staff was gracious, conversant and just all around friendly. The little treats and coffee provided on our floor were just what you needed either before going out in the morning or when returning at night -- and no, we were not on the concierge level of the hotel.

The location is within walking distance of many great restaurants, history and the assorted touristy things to do. We happened to be there during restaurant week but never had a problem getting reservations at any of the great restaurants that make up that scene in Charleston.

When you stay at the MPH, you are on property with one of the nicest restaurants in the city. Grill225 is fine food and service without leaving the hotel. The Grill225 bar is lively with a younger, well-heeled Charleston crowd.

While cooler weather prevailed during our stay, we did get to have two meals at the rooftop bar and grill and can only imagine that it rocks during the warm weather months.

My mother always said, "class will tell." When it comes to the Market Pavilion Hotel, these guys move to the head of the class. Well done.

Room Tip: We were given a corner room which could be noisier during peak months but with it's own little b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allintexas
Thank you for being our guest and sharing your kind comments with us. Being in the Historic district makes for the perfect locations and having the two best restaurants in the city helps. I glad you also enjoyed the Grill bar. I will share your comments with the entire team which I am sure they will appreciate. Than you once again.
Yorkville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay here 4-6 trips per year and this is my preferred Charleston Hotel! I wish to say that GM Peter has the ship running even smoother than my last visits during summer! Which is a great accomplishment at this 5 star hotel with a stellar history of personal service.

Akshaya in in the club lounge is an example not only in what hospitality service should be but as a person as well! He is a young man in his 20's from India that works full time, is a student of neurology that has already earned his doctors degree! He manages to work as a hospitality pro on top of his medical career. His personal service is superb and his attitude in enviable! Nice job!!!

Service all throughout the hotel is excellent and I will say my housekeeper (morning and evening) were the best I have seen. My room was spotless, cleaned on time, promptly, and the comfort as a result was super.

My lunch on arrival at Grill 225 was outstanding...order the local snapper and the flounder! Both were excellent. For dinner any of the steaks are outstanding and with service from Brandon one couldn't ask for better attention. The wine list is good and has some good options from CA including Chateau Montelena...order the cabernet or chardonnay and you can't go wrong.

Visit the rooftop bar! The entire staff does a nice job and I was fortunate to have Cheryl serve my table with a smile and the food here is great as well. Try a filet kabob... super and the tuna tower or crab appetizer.

Try a nitrotini at the lobby bar from Kamden...the customers enjoying them around me loved them!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
First, thank you for being a repeat guest of the Market Pavilion Hotel. We also appreciate that you took the time to write such a extensive review. I will share your kind comments with each department and team member. We look forward to your next visit to the hotel and can only strive to exceed your expectations. Thank you again and we would like to welcome you home.
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We live in Mt. Pleasant, across the river from Charleston. As close as we are, we unfortunately do not carve out the time to enjoy all this charming city has to offer. So, my husband planned a visit downtown for the w/e of my birthday. Love being able to park the car on Friday & not need it again until Sunday! (Our valet/bellman grew up in a house on the street where we live!) We stayed on the concierge level where we took advantage of the evening reception and the breakfast. (Missed the afternoon tea b/c we were out-on-the-town!) In the concierge lounge, Akshaya was excellent at his job, so attentive, called us by name every time, and always offered his assistance. Every staff member we met Friday wished me "Happy Birthday." We were met with smiling faces & professionalism at every step at this hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel b/c of its location, accommodations, and personal & professional service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My friend and I have stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel 2 times and are planning our third trip to this wonderful hotel. You must stay on the concierge level. The breakfast, tea and evening happy hour is a great value. We especially enjoy the happy hour. You always meet interesting people and the atmosphere is lively and not stuffy like some hotels.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. At night the bathrobes and slippers are laid out on the bed and cookies on the nightstand. Hermes bath products are such a nice touch at this hotel.

We always plan something different for our girls getaway. The concierge, Suzanne is a delight and helps us plan spa days. There is so much to see and do in Charleston and she always finds a new place for us to visit.

The Pavilion Bar is a great place for lunch or a lgiht dinner. The view is spectacular and the staff is eager to help. You must also dine at Grill 225. I must say I have never had a better steak. The filet melts in your mouth. Many seafood options are also on the menu for seafood lovers.

From the bellmen to the front desk everyone tries to make your stay a memorable one. Make this hotel your place to stay in Charleston and you won't be disappointed.

Evelyn

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travels4FunGirl
Palm Beach, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

As a frequent traveler to Charleston, I have tried several hotels. Although I haven't been blown away by any of them, this one has a lot to like. The location is fantastic. It is central to nearly everything you could want. The lobby is very pretty and elegant. The rooms are nice and they were clean. The room décor is very traditional so nothing unexpected but the bathrooms were fairly large. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the lovely attendant in the concierge lounge (so sorry I forgot her name) and one of the bellmen who took care of us the whole time and made recommendations on transportation. I was there on the weekend that another reviewer mentioned when the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night. This was compounded for me by a very noisy group on the night before that decided to party in the hall outside my door all night. The hotel did their best to take care of that situation and promptly moved us to another floor the next day. I feel that between those two incidents, my view of the whole experience was not as good as it could have been. The concierge level is very nice especially if you are someone who likes to walk down the hall in your pajamas to breakfast. If that is not important to you, there are tons of restaurants in the area so you may not feel this is for you as the rooms seem to be the same as other floors. I will say that the restaurant in the hotel, Grill 225, was wonderful. I will probably stay here again as I really think the location is as good as it gets in Charleston.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lLola
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
First, thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I want to apologize once again for the fire alarm and other guests who were a bit to noisy for you. I will share your kind comments regarding the service, cleanliness of the rooms and how you loved our location with the entire staff. We also appreciate that you enjoyed Grill 225. We do look forward to your return and will do everything possible to make it your best stay ever. Thank you once again.