“What a Treat!”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We love The Market Pavilion! It is fabulous hotel with an amazing roof top bar! They also serve the best steak in town in their restaurant. However, the highlight of our stay was getting to know one of their employees named Akshaya. He is a young MD in India who is furthering his medical education in the United States. He's an amazing person - very pleasant, kind, smart, has impeccable manners, remembers your name and is attentive to every need. He has all the qualities that make a Doctor great and he is an outstanding addition to the team of first class employees at The Market Pavillion!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Pavilion Bar and our 100% USDA Prime Steakhouse Grill 225. I will share your kind comments with Akshaya which I am sure he will appreciate. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments with us and we look forward to your return visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,500)

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We just spent three nights at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We ended up on the concierge level, and it was spectacular. We looked forward to starting our evenings relaxing with a glass of wine and some light apps in such a warm environment- warm both in decor and company. As many have mentioned, Akshaya was incredibly nice and went out of his way to make us feel at home. We only met Kim briefly, but she was exactly the same as far as making us feel completely welcome. Sadly, I came down with some kind of bug during our trip, but I said many times that I think the beds there might have been the most comfortable I have ever slept in. It certainly helped having that comfort when being away from home, not feeling well! We also really appreciated the $50 credits and used them on the roof top bar, where we were not surprised to also get great service along with a spectacular view. The location of the hotel was ideal, just minutes away from the water, the market place, all kinds of shopping, and a short walk to The Battery area. We were also able to easily walk to tourist activities- like a carriage ride and a harbor cruise, both which we really enjoyed. The bellman were great as well, offering suggestions and directions, and always a smile. Easy to say that we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone spending a few days in Charleston!

Room Tip: I would request an even numbered room, which we were told all have harbor views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel and being our guest. I am so pleased your enjoyed the concierge level of the hotel and the many service and amenities which it offers. I am sorry that you did not feel well but were able to get good rest in our beds. I am glad that you were also able to enjoy the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel and use your $50.00 food and beverage vouchers. I will share your kind comments with the team and look forward to your next visit to Charleston and the Market Pavilion Hotel.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Since we had just stayed in roadside mass market lodging the previous two nights, we were especially happy with the luxury. Service when we drove up was energetic and helpful. The front desk check-in was easy, and they cheerfully cancelled a dinner reservation I had made for the evening. (our Charleston friends invited us over for dinner) The room was pretty and had views over the Customs House to the harbor. We walked over to the harbor-side park a block away and back through lovely streets with interesting art galleries.
We had a $50 certificate given to us a check-in, so we had some after dinner refreshments at the roof-top bar. Made the total cost just a bit more than the mass market lodging.
Breakfast was provided at a desk on our floor, a pleasant alternative.
It took perhaps a minute or two longer than we expected to receive our car back, but it came safe and sound.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and our great location and the Pavilion Bar. Being the premier luxury hotel in Charleston and a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, I am glad that you found the value while maintaining luxury. We do have our own parking garage and I apologize for any delay in getting your car and would hope our team provides you with the proper expectation the next time. We once again thank you for sharing your kind comments with us and look forward to your next visit to the Market Pavilion Hotel.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Market Pavilion and 1 at the French Quarter Inn. We loved both but found the MP a better hotel. We stayed on the concierge floor - friendly servers and a good breakfast. We also used a $50 voucher to eat at Grill 225 - which was absolutely delicious!
BUT the bed at the French Quarter Inn was more comfortable! We'll be back in September and plan on staying at the Market Pavilion.

Room Tip: Stay on the Concierge Floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

First thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you were about to enjoy the concierge level of the hotel and the many great amenities which it offers. I am also glad you were able to use the $50.00 per day food & beverage voucher at Grill 225. In the future if you have any special needs toward your bedding to make you feel more comfortable do not hesitate to ask. We look forward to your return visit in September.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I just returned from a three night stay at the Market Pavilion Hotel last night. It was our first trip to Charleston, and to this Hotel, but it won't be our last!

From the moment we were greeted upon arrival, to our departure, Everyone of the staff went above and beyond to ensure our stay was among the best we've had anywhere. One small example; as we were leaving for the airport yesterday it was raining very hard and the doorman escorted us individually under umbrella to protect us from the rain, while another doorman loaded our bags into the waiting car.But that is just one minor example and overall the staff couldn't have been more friendly or more attentive and we were greeted by smiles, always, by anyone we ventured by during our stay.

As other reviewers have noted, the rooftop bar was terrific and we used it every day after our exploration of Historic Charleston. For each night's stay we received a $50 food and beverage voucher which minimized the cost each day with a cocktail and snack. The other meals we ate at the hotel were also outstanding as Grill 225 located inside the hotel, is one of the top restaurants in Charleston.

The rooms were large and very clean. The bathrooms were outstanding with elegant finishings and luxurious bath items. One very minor negative was from our room (211) there was really no view as we were only able to look out to a parking lot, but it really wasn't a problem.

The location was perfect to explore Charleston as it is only steps from great restaurants, bars, the harbor, the Market, and a variety of tours of this beautiful city. My only question about this wonderful Hotel is, How is it not rated higher?

Room Tip: If possible request a room facing the Harbor.
1  Thank Jack L
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Market Pavilion Hotel for our 5 year wedding anniversary. The hotel is situated in a perfect location! Easy access to shopping, food and drinks, and the waterfront, not to mention all of the historical sights around the town. The room is a good size, we stayed in a King Deluxe which had views of the Market. This was both good and bad. We were on the second floor, and we were able to gain access to the concierge level. Upon check in we recieved two- $50 vouchers for food and drink to be used each day of our stay. Very nice touch, plus a good marketing tool as the onsite restaurant and bar are pricey.

First night we ate at Grill225. So very very good. Also fairly expensive, but it is a steak house, so you come to expect that. They use a wet-aging process for their beef. Let me tell you, its worth the money if you are a steak person. My wife and I were so extremely satified it was a good thing our room was right upstairs.

My wife did not sleep well at all, being on the market side, there were motorcycles revving engines and people yelling until past 2am. The next morning we asked the front desk to move us to another room, we were accomodated and given a room on the other side of the building, no view, but also no 2am noice. So we were happy with that. We also ended up cancelling our concierge access. It was very nice, and the gentleman working was very polite and knowledable, but we felt the the cost out-weighed the benefits.

Day two we had drinks at the rooftop bar. Cheryl was our bartender and she was beyond awesome. We sat at the bar and had drinks while doing a good amount of people watching, which is always entertaining. That evening our HD channels on the TV went out. We called the front desk, but nothing was ever done. So no ESPN for me. :(. All in all it was a good trip, the hotel was good but not great. Was fairly expensive, but the valet was more than reasonable ($20 a day) and the service was acceptable. My biggest complaint was the noise level on the market side and the technology issue the second day. Oh and I forgot, the wifi is awful, My phone nor my ipad could pick up a signal either day. Quite annoying. All in all a good hotel in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: If you cherish sleep, ask for a room away from the market
4  Thank SalvatoreBjr
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel like many downtown may be expensive, but you're paying for the location, high level of service and a higher-end hotel. The staff was perfect. Very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice and clean. Our room had a window view of parked cars which I wasn't crazy about but I kind of knew that could happen with the type of room I selected for the money. With the room we also received a $50 coupon to use per day for anything in the hotel be it the bar, restaurant or services. I thought this was a nice touch or added some value to spending the higher dollars. Also, every morning, coffee was served in the hallway along with rolls which was very nice. When it comes to parking, because this hotel is immediately downtown, you have to use the valet service and that can cost more money per day, but again, it's the location of this hotel next door to Market street and other interesting areas of town. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you want a room without viewing parked cars from the valet service it will cost a lot more per ni...