“#1 Hotel in Charleston”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Wayne, New Jersey
“#1 Hotel in Charleston”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

If you are picky about where you stay and enjoy a great atmosphere for a cocktail, then the Market Pavilion Hotel is the place to be. Very clean rooms with turn down service daily, really good food at Grill 225 or eating something delicious poolside on the roof with a very attentive staff. What else can I say? The only caveat is that Market Pavilion has only about 70 rooms with a very loyal customer base so you need to book early, especially for the weekend. I only stay at the Market Pavilion when I'm in Charleston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us and being our guest at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write your review and your comments about being the #1 Hotel in Charleston. We look forward to your next stay with us when you return to Charleston. Thank you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
NYC
Reviewed 16 March 2014

For my first trip to Charleston I choose Market Pavilion as my hotel of choice. I am quite picky with hotels and was not disappointed. I felt as if MP was in the best possible location. So close to everything and everywhere you might want to go in downtown Charleston.

We were staying on the Concierge level and I think this is half the reason my trip was so great. They served breakfast every morning from 8 to 10 (quiche, grits, potatoes, bacon, sausage cereal and pastries). There was something for everyone. Kim and Akshaya take excellent care of their guests and I truly enjoyed talking with them over the course of my stay. Each night from 6 to 8 there was wine and cheese. This was great because the guests got a chance to discuss dinner plans and give each other tips about the town.

The room was clean and the bathroom was large. Just a quick tip...put a towel outside your shower door as the water may trickle out causing the floor to be wet. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of closet space in the wardrobe they had in the room.

The Rooftop Bar at MP was a great place to have lunch or drinks. Prices were a bit expensive; I am from NYC and the prices were very comparable. The atmosphere is great especially on nice days. Perfect place to sip on a sweet tea martini!

Grill 225 is on the main level of MP. The food was good, not great, and the prices are steep. My husband and I spent a little more than $200 for dinner (just to give you an idea- 2 appetizers (soups), 2 entrees, he had dessert and we probably had 4 drinks). My husband did have the lamb and he loved it!

We rented a car which was beneficial for us as we drove to Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms. We like to explore, so renting a car works for us. You do not need a car if you are staying in the immediate area of Charleston. Purely personal preference!

I would absolutely return to Market Pavilion and to Charleston!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jess22nyc
First, thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write a comprehensive review. As being a first time guest to the hotel and Charleston, I am pleased that you found your hotel to be in the perfect location and enjoyed your accommodations. I am also glad that you enjoyed the Pavilion Bar and the cocktail choices. As for Grill 225, I am happy that your husband loved his lamb and If you wanted something different, please next time as your server as we would have been very happy to accommodate you as we want to exceed your expectations each and every time. We than you once again and look forward to your next visit to Charleston and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have been in Charleston for many years but just made my first visit to the Rooftop Bar at the Market Pavilion. Had a wonderful experience, maybe it was that I had more drinks than I have in years or maybe it was those cute bartenders :)

Will be going back again soon as they put a pep in my step again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for joining us at the Pavilion Bar. I am so glad as being a local you finally made it over. It great that you had a wonderful experience and that our bartenders were able to put pep in your set once again. Thank you for sharing your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
East Hanover, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel lives up to all of my expectations. My husband and I were there for 3 nights and we felt at home. The staff especially Kim the 4th floor Concierge was so helpful and very friendly. Greg at the downstairs bar was really friendly, helpful and great to have a conversation with. We especially enjoyed Grill 225 and the Nitrotini's. In addition, the hotel gave my husband and me a complimentary glass of Champagne to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. The food was excellent and one of the best filet's we had and cooked to perfection! Another attraction to this hotel is the location which is within walking distance to most attractions. This was without a doubt the best hotel experience I have had and I am so glad we stayed here and made friends with Kim and Greg. The prices are a bit high, but you get what you pay for. Overall well worth the amenities. We will be back, (soon I hope).

Room Tip: Rooms facing Market Street have a large amount of sun.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion so we could share in your anniversary celebration. I am so pleased that we lived up to your expectations and you enjoyed Grill 225 and your 100% USDA prime filet and Nitrotinis. I will gladly share your kind comments with Kim and Greg which I am sure they will appreciated. We value you taking the time to write your review and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Toms River
Reviewed 11 March 2014

What a wonderful hotel to stay at. The service and employees are all outstanding and caring to deal with. The food was wonderful. The beds are the most comfortable I've slept in. My new first choice when traveling to Charlotte.

Room Tip: Balcony view from the street side is a nice bonus.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you found your stay to be “outstanding” I am glad you enjoyed the service of our staff and the food. We get many compliments for our bedding so I am glad you found them the most comfortable you have slept in. We look forward to your next visit to Charleston and staying with us again
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Simply the best hotel experience I've ever had. A recent getaway with my fiancée. Beautifully appointed, perfectly located, unbelievable service. Robe and slippers laid out for you nightly. Grill 225 located in the hotel is great. We also dined around the corner at the Cru Cafe, which was unbelievable.

A bit pricey but certainly a bargain considering the experience you will have. So glad I chose the Market Pavillion. We will definitely be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your kind comments with us at the Market Pavilion hotel and considering us “Simply the best” . I am glad you appreciated our perfect location and the amenities that we provide all our hotel guests. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Belle Mead,NJ
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a great stay in Charleston at the Market Pavilion. Room was large and overlooked the market. Service was great. Friendly and professional staff. Coffee and continental breakfast in the hallway each morning was a nice touch. Hotel has a great location on East Bay Street near multiple great restaurants and near shopping. Trying to figure out when we can return.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Kevin M
First thank you for sharing your kind comments with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am glad you had a great stay and are looking to return soon. We are also pleased that you enjoyed your complimentary sideboard continental breakfast each morning. I will also share your kind comments with the entire team. We look forward to your return visit with us.