“Magnificent hotel with a few flaws” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Market Pavilion Hotel

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
New Jersey
“Magnificent hotel with a few flaws”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I had been to Charleston once before, staying in the French
Quarter. The FC consistently gets rated on of the top 100 hotels in the world by Conde Nast and always receives high accolades from other magazines like Travel and Leisure. It was lovely. I wouldn’t say really “special”, but very nice. This time we thought we would stay at the Market Pavilion. One of the Leading Hotels of the World (LWH). Both hotels were choices based on the fact that we wanted to park and leave the car – able to walk to sights and restaurants.

Parking is $20/day. I know this sounds like a lot. But parking is really a pain in Charleston, and I can't tell you how convenient it was to just call and have your car brought around and waiting for you. We originally thought it was a rip-off. Nope. Great convenience. We had our car in and out at least 2 times a day.

The Market Pavilion has a great location. We knew that and it didn’t disappoint. The room was about $433/night I believe, and that came with a $50 per night voucher that could be used for lunch either upstairs or at Grill 225 (their lovely steakhouse restaurant), dinner at Grill 225 drinks in the restaurant or dessert there if that was your pleasure. Very clever of them. They get to charge you more for your room and you think you’re getting “free” something but there ain’t no free lunch – we all know that. But it gives you a nice feeling of getting something for nothing.

We were given room 328 – a concierge level room – and was told that we were upgraded. I’m not sure about that, but they said so, so I have to believe them. So why did they upgrade us without our even asking? I don’t know. We had a “concierge corner king suite” overlooking the Customs House. When I think of a “corner room” I think of it as having windows on at least 2 sides. This did not. No matter. The room was magnificent. Truly. Everything was near perfection. The linens – luscious, the pillows – wonderful, the furniture – lovely, the bathroom – awesome, the bathrobes and towels – plush, the huge Jacuzzi – very romantic and can fit 2 comfortably, Hermes toiletries. Marble everywhere (but only one sink – unusual for a room of this caliber). A bit of an awkward shower as you had to step all the way into it to turn on the water (the controls were on the back wall of a long narrow shower) so you got covered with cold water until it warmed up. Turn down service every night, at an hour we requested. Turn down was immaculate too. Corners of the duvet turned down just so, robes placed perfectly on the bed, a little goodie to eat, and a pair of slippers right by the bedside.

So….a couple of the downsides because everything can’t be perfect. You know those slippers I was talking about by my bedside? I put my feet in them after showering, and was walking around the room. I felt something weird on my foot, and when I took my foot out, in the slipper was a disgusting, used, old band-aid. Sorry. Really gross and inexcusable for a hotel of this caliber. A Leading Hotel of the World!!! So I went down to the front desk with the slipper and band aid still in it, and asked to speak with the manager. I had to wait over 20 minutes to talk with her. Also kind of inexcusable. At least come out from behind wherever you are and tell me you are busy and to come back or tell me it will be a bit of a wait. Nothing. Once she surfaced, she (correctly) apologized, assuring me that the slippers were washed after every guest. OK. Not sure I buy it. Especially in light of the band-aid. It went through a washing machine? OK. She offered to discount our room $50/night (the right thing to do) although I did not ask for any compensation. That was very nice. And classy. And appropriate.

As stated previously, we were on a Concierge Level. You need a key card to get off not only on your own floor, but on the Concierge floor. I guess that’s to keep out those who aren’t paying for what is offered on this level. So we went up every morning for breakfast. Not great. But some sort of egg dish every day, along with fabulous bacon, sausage (which I did not try), potatoes, yogurts, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea, etc. They also offered juices and bottled water. Typical fare really. Not hot and not great, but not bad either, and certainly enough to get your day started nicely without having to stop and have lunch if you didn’t want to. However, there really wasn’t enough seating. There was one morning when we got up to the floor and there was no place to sit except with others on a couch with 2 chairs on either side. Awkward. They need another table or two. In the afternoon around 2pm on the Concierge level (4th floor) they put out finger sandwiches (cannot comment as we never had them) and cookies. The cookies and some sort of “bar/cake” were great. That came along with iced tea, coffee, etc.
At 6pm it was time for hors d’oeuvres and wine. Very nice. Basic white and basic red. You could have as much as you like. And the hors d’oeuvres were very good. I believe that was from 6pm – 8pm. There was always someone there when they were serving something and they were willing to chat, help you with your meal or goodies, or talk to you about things to do while in town.

Every night we went out to dinner, but made sure to come back to Grill 225 to spend our $50 voucher on dessert (each daily voucher was only good until midnight of that day). I must say, they had THE most awesome dessert menu I have every seen. I could have had one of everything. If you like Panna Cotta, this was the best I have ever, ever tasted. We did this every night until the last night when we decided, even though so prohibitively expensive, we would have dinner in the restaurant. We had only made a reservation that day, but they accommodated us with no problem. The dining room is elegant. We were seated at a lovely table and the service was impeccable, as had been the service everywhere throughout our stay (with the exception of one housekeeper on our floor who just had a bad attitude when asked for another shampoo). We ordered steak because what else would you order in a steakhouse? My steak was well cooked, and very tasty. My husband’s on the other hand was not good. Very fatty. And we ordered 2 sides, a hash brown type of potato dish and caramelized onion which were awful (I believe they were $8 and $10 respectively, or $10 and $12 respectively). The onions were nothing but sautéed to a creamy mush, and were white. Caramelized? No, they were not. Gross? Yes they were. The potatoes also were not great, but acceptable. When we told the waiter that the onions were not caramelized he just said “well, those are our caramelized onions” and went to tell the maitre d’. The maitre d’ came over with a menu and asked if we wanted something else but by that point we were done with our steaks and just wanted to leave. The maitre d’ told us they would take it off our bill. Yes, I would hope so. Our waiter never bothered to ask us if we enjoyed the meal, if everything was to our liking, nothing. And then he brought the check. I believe the check came to $161. With the check came a card with a “How Did We Do” type of questionnaire. So I told them. I wrote quite a bit, of both the good and bad. Again, the service was impeccable, until there was actually a problem and then our waiter wasn’t so friendly or so attentive. The rest of the staff though was excellent. We charged the bill to our room and left.

When we went to check out, I took a look at the bill. They did not charge us for most of the meal. It was the right thing to do, although I’m sure that would not have happened had I not written what I did on that card. Nonetheless, it was the sign of a very classy hotel and there is no doubt, if in Charleston, we would return.

All in all, the hotel is wonderful. Staff is attentive, rooms impeccably clean (or at least ours was – we didn’t see others) and accruements and service to the highest level.

Room Tip: The Concierge Level, if you can swing it, is worth it. Room 328 is large and magnificent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jsc0626
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
First thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of the hotel and Grill 225. As speaking with you in person, I can assure you that any and all your issues or concerns were immediate addressed and corrected. We did has a courtesy “upgrade” you and you enjoyed the services and many benefits of our concierge level. I apologize for some of your dining experience buy pleased that we tried to accommodate you. We would hope to have you stay with us again in the near future and once again thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Raleigh, NC, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I selected Market Pavilion for a special weekend with my husband. Our first stay, nice hotel, nice room, but we have stayed at places just as nice for a lot less in the Charleston area. We were expecting special consideration at the restaurants. We requested reservations at the main restaurant in the hotel. But nothing available. However, when we walked by 45 minutes after our requested time, the place was no more than 35% full. They did say we could try to eat our dinner at the bar, but that was first come first serve It seems to us that they could have reserved a place at the bar for their hotel guests. The lesson we learned, don't spend $600+ on a room at Market Pavilion, just make reservations for the restaurants early. BTW, the steaks are excellent!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Angela N
Pittsford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the MP Hotel in Charleston. It boasts a wonderful rooftop pool and bar and an award winning steakhouse.
We wanted it to be special as we were celebrating my mother's birthday, so we booked a concierge level room. This entitled us to a good hot breakfast, drinks available all day, a tea in the afternoon, and the best part, cocktails in the evening. We enjoyed wine and cheese and hors d'oeuvres each night before heading off for our dinner reservations. A highlight was the staff member, AJ who predicted everything we needed or wanted before we even knew it. We joked about wanting to bring him home! We enjoyed beautiful dinners and lunches based on his recommendations and many glasses of wine.
This is a trip to repeat for sure and the MP Hotel, and AJ in particular are a big part of why we would want to return. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Concierge level is worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stacey A
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you stayed with us while celebrating your mother’s birthday. I am glad you were able to use and enjoyed the many benefits of the concierge level and the service provided by AJ. We will need to keep him for a while, but thank you for sharing your kind comments which I will share with AJ and the entire staff. We look forward to you next visit with us.
Lancaster County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel is "almost perfect". Foremost is the location. There seems to be a couple divisions within the town - shopping and/or dining. The Pavilion is in the center of many fine restaurants. Anything you want is only a few doors, or floors, away.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The rooms while not huge are extremely well appointed, clean, and comfortable. They even provide free bottled water (a small but important plus). We found the staff friendly and accommodating. The lobby and roof-top lounges were fun and a great place to socialize. Prior to our visit the hotel arranged for a car-service and there selection was outstanding.

Our only negative (we still awarded an excellent rating) was the lack of follow-through in making dinner and harbor cruise reservations. Three times we requested assistance and never received the reservations we requested - a minor annoyance.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an upscale and enjoyable experience. We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank The-Connector
Thank you for staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your first visit and hope for many return visits. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused by not providing you with the proper attention for your dinner and harbor cruise reservations. I have addressed this with the staff and can assure you it will not happen again. I appreciate the recommendation and look forward to your return visit. Thank you for taking the time to do your review.
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We recently returned from a weekend getaway and our first stay at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We thought this hotel was elegant and nicely decorated. The level of service in all areas was excellent. Special note - if you can splurge, it is well worth it to stay on the 4th Floor Concierge Level. The privileges include breakfast, afternoon tea, and Hors d'oeuvres, beer and wine nightly in the private parlor. The food and ambience was great, while the service was exceptional. AJ was the hospitality server in the parlor, while the Hotel was exceptional, AJ was superior. He made our trip special. He is a humble person looking to answer any questions we had, giving advice on places to visit and even helping us make dinner reservations after we had waited too late to book our first choice.
The location of the hotel was perfect, allowing us to walk to many of the attractions and restaurants. We will definitely come back to Market Pavilion Hotel!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tommy K
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. It’s great that you had the opportunity to stay on our concierge level and enjoyed the many benefits which it offers. I am pleased that Akashaya was able to provide you with exceptional service and accommodate you with additional dinner reservations and providing you advice on places to visit. I am glad you enjoyed our location and look forward to your next visit with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

The rooftop bar is a must see and has a view that is unmatched anywhere in downtown Charleston. Dave, our bartender, was top notch - very attentive, friendly & made us feel very welcome. (Not to mention, he makes a great drink!)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ccnavin72
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Susanne was not only helpful, she was incredibly attentive and sensitive to my requests. There were 10,000 runners who had just finished a run in town, and it seemed that all of them were streaming past her desk at the elevator to get to the rooftop patio (or coming off in very "festive" moods). She was able to get me very difficult reservations, and made great recommendations. She is very knowledgeable and sweet, and must work really long hours because she was always there with a smile when I needed her.
I did not give the hotel the top grade, however, because when we entered, we were asked if we had reservations by the doorman, and when I said yes, he asked me for my name, and it seemed like we were being screened. It could be that because we didn't look like the hoards of runners coming in and that we didn't "fit in", but nevertheless it was not a pleasant way to begin our stay. Otherwise, it's a great hotel, Grill 225 was outstanding (as was the service) and the beds are fabulous.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor looks out directly on the parking lot (which is at window level). Ask...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends