“Awful and Poorly Managed Hotel”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Boston
“Awful and Poorly Managed Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

The first thing I said when I woke up on the last morning at the Market Pavilion was “I hate this hotel”. This hotel does not measure up to the Leading Hotels of the World standards.

Cons:
• Very loud room – there was a consistent banging noise above the bed all night (I was up from 2:30 on the second night and 4:30 on our third night). Told the front desk, they did nothing. When I asked it they knew what they noise was or if it could be fixed, they offered one excuse after another, none that addressed the noise issue. I finally had to ASK for ear plug which did not work.
• Very firm uncomfortable bed with a very thin mattress pad. Definitely not plush and no featherbed.
• Unsanitary bedspread. I mean, what good hotel does not have duvets with washable covers these days??
• Soap cover sat on the bathroom floor for 3 days under the sink – I just left it there to see if they would actually notice
• On the last night, I killed a small roach / palmetto bug in the bathroom.
• When I checked out, and after I paid my bill, they asked how my stay was. I told them I was disappointed (exhausted more likely since I had not slept in 3 days), that the room was exceptionally noisy, and killed a roach in my room the night before. Instead of offering an apology of ANY kind, the desk clerk corrected me and replied that it was a palmetto bug (not a roach) and they are native to Charleston, and not matter how much they spray, they can’t get rid of them. Still, no apology or any action like she cared she had an unsatisfied guest leaving the hotel.
• Pool closes at 4
• Stayed on the concierge level – juice and wine glasses were habitually dirty or cracked, they were always out of something, they ran out of coffee cups, bacon, cream cheese, eggs,etc…..and it was 30 minutes before they were replenished

Pro:
Good Location
Rooftop bar was nice

I am not cheap when I go on vacation, I don’t complain about the prices, and I stay at nice places. I expect that a hotel of this caliber has better service, amenities, and more comfortable accommodations. It was a huge disappointment, especially after staying 4 absolutely luxurious nights at the Sanctuary on Kiawah, which is truly spectacular, with excellent service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank golfnut0618

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

My boyfriend and I (in our late 30's) stayed there over labor Day. We attended the Spoletto Festival which was wonderful - you should definately check it out. The concierge was first class. I can't remember his name but he set us up with a first class private historical tour of Charleston. Also, I saw him helping out a groomsman find a cummerbund that he had forgotten one day! We ate dinner one night in the restaurant and I had a fantastic steak. It's walking distance from just about everything. The bellmen will call rickshaws for you if you need them and there is hardly any wait time. Also, the rooftop bar/pool/restaurant is a definate hot spot where you can do great people watching. We made some friends! And if you are a guest at the hotel, you do not have to wait in line to get in. We would absolutely stay at this hotel again!!

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Froggymug
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

Reading other reviews the only negative comment I would agree with is that they should upgrade the TV's. We have previously stayed at Charleston place but thought we would give the Market Pavillion a shot instead. My wife and I stayed Friday and Saturday night. The hotel was very quiet, maybe that's why we were so impressed with the service. Coffee and pastries were available outside our room each day. They delivered the New York times both days. We spent our Saturday by the pool. Service at the pool was excellent, we were looked after with bottled water and and they served us lunch at a table. The roof top pool is small but we were there by ourselves most of the day so it didn't matter. With my work I spend a lot of time in hotels and this would rank in my top ten visits, as would Charleston Place by the way. Rooms are immaculate, bath products are all Hermes. Very large and provided free internet. The rate was around $300 which is about what we usually pay at Charleston Place. We ate at Grill 224 on Saturday night. It cost us a small fortune but it was excellent. I would say it is a little better than the Charleston Grill. Awesome wine list, good service.

All in all I would highly recommend Charleston place for couples. I wouldn't take make young children there, I think children in the small pool area would be a disaster.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank damquat
Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

The Market Pavilion is an upscale hotel that is ideally located in the heart of downtown Charleston. The rooms are beautifully appointed and quite comfortable. Overall, our stay there was pleasant, but there are some things that could have been improved. First of all, it was rather expensive for what you got. I’ve stayed in many hotels of the same caliber for less money. Second, the lobby was incredibly busy and crowded most of the time. This was primarily due to people coming to and from the rooftop bar. There was always a crowd of partiers around and while they didn’t disturb us they did get in the way. To be fair, I have a low tolerance for drunks and I didn’t enjoy smelling the alcohol and tobacco that seemed to adhere to so many of the people that visited the bar, so my opinion must be viewed in that light. The staff and service were acceptable, but again all of my interactions with them were in the context of this sea of people who were constantly filing in and out of the lobby. In addition, there were frequently crowds outside the front door, either getting into or out of taxis and cars. I realize that the rooftop bar is a popular place and I’m sure it makes a lot of money for the hotel, but I prefer a hotel that is more hotel than bar. It’s really a shame because the Market Pavilion is a very nice hotel and could be a better one if they could figure out how to manage the flow of people.

• Stayed April 2008
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

I stayed at the Market Pavillion Hotel this past week. I was traveling with my three year old and husband. I thought the staff was extremely friendly. The concierge Judy was wonderful. She provided ideas on restaurants and things to do to make our trip the best it could be. Judy also provided ideas on making my three year old daughter's trip enjoyable as well. The people who worked at the front desk were extremely friendly and the doormen always greeted us with a smile. The location was great and we could easily walk to almost everything. The security measures of the hotel were impressive as people from off the street could not access guest floors. I was disappointed that the pool closed at 4pm as we often wanted to use the pool later into the evening. The staff at the pool side bar area were not very attentive to those who were not sitting at a table. Overall I had a great time and enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The staff could not have been nicer to my family.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the pool closing at 4pm and the view of the market roof
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2008

I make it a point to stay at non-chain, unique and/or historic hotels during travels. From the valet to the concierge to the roomservice attendant, this is 5 star service. Not to mention the fabulous roof-top pool and bar which turns into a hot night spot around 9pm...
And the prime location makes it well worth the $. Oh, and did I mention someone poured us bloody mary's and bellinis at 9am on Saturday despite the bar being closed? IMPECCABLE.

• Liked — upscale, classy
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

Overall, the hotel was a great place to stay. The location was fantastic, close to everything. The rooms were nice, although I would agree they need to get rid of the old tvs, which had bad reception. Liked the coffee and pastry in the morning. Bell service was a little lacking when I was trying to check out but generally the staff was helpful and pleasant. I would definitely stay here again when visiting Charleston.

• Stayed July 2008