The first thing I said when I woke up on the last morning at the Market Pavilion was “I hate this hotel”. This hotel does not measure up to the Leading Hotels of the World standards.
• Very loud room – there was a consistent banging noise above the bed all night (I was up from 2:30 on the second night and 4:30 on our third night). Told the front desk, they did nothing. When I asked it they knew what they noise was or if it could be fixed, they offered one excuse after another, none that addressed the noise issue. I finally had to ASK for ear plug which did not work.
• Very firm uncomfortable bed with a very thin mattress pad. Definitely not plush and no featherbed.
• Unsanitary bedspread. I mean, what good hotel does not have duvets with washable covers these days??
• Soap cover sat on the bathroom floor for 3 days under the sink – I just left it there to see if they would actually notice
• On the last night, I killed a small roach / palmetto bug in the bathroom.
• When I checked out, and after I paid my bill, they asked how my stay was. I told them I was disappointed (exhausted more likely since I had not slept in 3 days), that the room was exceptionally noisy, and killed a roach in my room the night before. Instead of offering an apology of ANY kind, the desk clerk corrected me and replied that it was a palmetto bug (not a roach) and they are native to Charleston, and not matter how much they spray, they can’t get rid of them. Still, no apology or any action like she cared she had an unsatisfied guest leaving the hotel.
• Pool closes at 4
• Stayed on the concierge level – juice and wine glasses were habitually dirty or cracked, they were always out of something, they ran out of coffee cups, bacon, cream cheese, eggs,etc…..and it was 30 minutes before they were replenished
Rooftop bar was nice
I am not cheap when I go on vacation, I don’t complain about the prices, and I stay at nice places. I expect that a hotel of this caliber has better service, amenities, and more comfortable accommodations. It was a huge disappointment, especially after staying 4 absolutely luxurious nights at the Sanctuary on Kiawah, which is truly spectacular, with excellent service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Market Pavilion Hotel, Charleston's most luxurious hotel. A proud member of the Leading Hotels of the World. Located in the epicenter of Downtown, we're just minutes from the waterfront, tour guides, shopping and grand old homes. Set among some of Charleston's most historical landmarks, the Market Pavilion Hotel offers the most decadent guest rooms in the city and countless amenities such as Grill 225, a member of the Great Steakhouses of North America, and Charleston's most popular night spot, the Pavilion Bar, which boasts the best view in the city. Most importantly, we're redefining the Art of Southern Hospitality. So whether you join us for a leisurely getaway or company meeting, to pop the question or seal the deal, you'll indulge in The Market Pavilion Hotel's premium value and service. Welcome to the Art of Southern Hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Market Pavilion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Market Pavilion Charleston
- Hotel Market Pavilion