“Charming Southern Hotel in Historic District”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Market Pavilion in the Historic District in Charleston on a combination business and getaway trip. The boutique style hotel was very personal and engaging. The hotel was built in 2002 but fits in perfectly with it's surroundings. It is full of quality antiques and artwork. We received personal attention and help with everything we needed. The staff was attentive and personable.
The pastry chef and support staff are amazing. Each morning there was a sideboard of amazing fresh pastries made in house perfectly presented in our hall along with fresh coffee, tea, juices and - only in the south, linen napkins.
The rooms are spacious and while not all rooms have balconies, we were lucky to have one that did. The views from the rooms are overlooking the Market next door or to the harbor where the cruise ship arrives once a week.
The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed and roomy with a separate bath and shower.
The restaurant in the lobby, Grill 225 was a comfortable yet elegant dining option. They feature circular booths that seat 4-6 for special occasions. Everything we tried was very good and well presented.
I was a newcomer to Charleston and wanted a comfortable hotel within walking distance of restaurants, the Battery, shopping on King Street, and the heart of the city....and an outdoor pool. Our search of the historical district only turned up 3 hotels with pools. The pool is on the rooftop and has wonderful lounges, dining options and a bar with a great view of the city.
We took a chance on this hotel and we more than happy with the Market Pavilion. The market next door is a hub of activity and is open daily. On Friday and Saturday nights the market is open later (from 6-10pm) and features only local artists, and products produced in the area. If you are looking for the handmade sea grass baskets they have quite a selection with the artists making them on location.
Many of the local tours start at the market, the carriage rides and some of the walking tours. The concierge is well versed and has connections with other tour groups as well.
The hotel is pricey $$$ but if you want a feel of the south and plan on spending time at your hotel, this is a great choice. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view and/ or balconies.
1  Thank Stewart6988
There are newer reviews for Market Pavilion Hotel

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have to say that this is a great hotel. The attention to detail and the service provided by the doormen, valet, bellmen, housekeeping, room service, front desk, etc. are second to none. The bed and pillows were the best I have ever experienced. The location of the hotel could not be better. The food from room servie was excellent as well and we had both breakfast and dinner.

I have stayed in alot of upscale hotels and this is my best experience with any hotel.

If I had to say anything negative would be the martini prices. While they are EXCELLENT, at $17 each I found that to be too pricey.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the comfort of the beds and pillow. I very much appreciate the kind comments toward the staff which I will gladly share with them. With reference to your martini, I am glad you found it excellent and can assure you that we do our very best to keep the cost down based upon the type of martini. We look forward to your next visit with us. Thank you for sharing your kind comments.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

As the hotel is at the corner of East Bay st. and Market st. , there is hardly a better location in Charleston. As you enter it almost looks like you are entering a high class restaurant, which you are as the hotel restaurant is, in fact, great. The hotel is, of course, a lot more. Large rooms with all the amenities, beautiful roof bar with swimming pool. Probably, the best in Charleston. The staff is very professional. All this makes for a very comfortable experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The location is perfect, walk to everything. This is a grand old style hotel, but elegant in every way. The roof top pool and bar is a great place to view the surrounding area and enjoy a cool drink. We especially enjoyed our waitress, Jessica, who displayed Southern Hospitality at its best.
The Market Pavilion is definitely on the top of our list for places to stay in Charleston.

Room Tip: king bed great
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I recently spent an evening at this hotel on a very enjoyable girls' getaway. The pros:

- Central location
- Conveniently served continental breakfast
- Super comfortable beds
- Nice, spacious bathrooms

The rooftop deck is nice, but the pool is fairly tiny. We were pretty disappointed in the quality of the drinks -- expensive and pretty weak.

I am a pretty low maintenance traveler, but a couple of things soured me on this hotel's customer service, especially considering the service I have received at comparable or more modest hotels. The first was that we requested a late check-out for one of our rooms so one of my travel companions could have quiet space for a business call that, unfortunately, conflicted with the check-out room. Our request was initially denied and we did not get the late check-out as requested without a manager's involvement when one of my friends casually mentioned it.

One of my other travel companions purchased an expensive dress and, much to her distress, forgot to take the shopping bag with her. She called the hotel multiple times in her panic and was repeatedly told she could not be helped until the concierge could deal with the matter. After not receiving a return call particularly quickly she was brusquely informed she should stop calling. The great news is that the dress was ultimately recovered. However, nearly two weeks later, she has not received it. They charged her shipping costs -- which was fine -- but there was a lot of red tape involved.

This hotel was not a perfect match for a group of women in their 30s and early 40s -- it definitely has more appeal for an older clientele. For the money, the Vendue seemed much more interesting and modern. One of my travel companions is now intending to book the Vendue for a friend's 40th birthday party weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TonyAndVan
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stay here as often as possible and they never disappoint. We checked in very late (2am) after a family wedding reception. The entire staff was as attentive and professional as they are when you arrive at a normal hour. The room was beautiful and very clean. I love the robe and slippers with turn down service. This is the only hotel where my husband ever wants to stay and we have stayed in most of the other hotels downtown Charleston. We recommended the Market Pavilion every chance we get.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am a platinum marriott member. After a sleepless night and 1 star customer service at a marriott property near King Street, I called the Market Pavilion and spoke with Grant. I explained my experience the previous night, and he assured me that I would be taken care of if I choose to move to the Market Pavilion. I took the challenge and checked in. From my first interaction with the valet to my departing goodbye, I was treated with phenomenal care. My favorite luxury chain hotels are the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton. The service that I received is on par if not superior to those fine establishments. The room was excellent from the comfort of the bed to the beautiful bathrooms. The rooftop pool and bar offer the best views of Charleston and a great retreat to hang out by the pool. Hats off to the staff of the Market Pavilion. You have mastered customer service in a truly elegant hotel. I will be back. You made my trip and gained my loyalty.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for being our guest and staying with us at the Market Pavilion Hotel. We are very happy that you decided to make the move and stay with us. As being well traveled and having stayed at the finest hotels in the world, I am very honored by your comments. I am also pleased that you were able to enjoy the Pavilion Bar high atop the hotel. We do look forward to you next visit and thank you for posting your review.