“Beautiful Hotel and Great Customer Service!”

Market Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, NC
“Beautiful Hotel and Great Customer Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Upon arriving we noticed about a thousand people right across the street on the steps of the courthouse protesting what I can only assume what many conservative republicans are protesting all over the US right now. Anyhoo, so a large protest means alot of traffic. We parked right in front of the hotel and the valet was immediately out there to greet us! The hotel staff was so friendly! We ate lunch upstairs on the roof and it was amazing!!!! Beautiful area! And our room was simply beautiful. Yes, we got a view of the market down below but that is part of Charleston! So no complaints from us! When we were driving home my boyfriend realized he had left his jackets in the closet and so he called the hotel and they got back to him right away and told him they would be mailed out immediately! We had a great trip. I'll recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
travelgal3183
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I was very disappointed with my stay here. Having only been to Charleston a few times, I knew that this location was prime and figured that was part of the price and that the hotel's amenities would justify the remainder of its hefty pricetag. Unfortunately the snobby staff and cramped rooms did not live up to my expectations. I would recommend staying elsewhere in the vicinity and stopping at Market Pavillion to check out their rooftop bar. It was the only enjoyable part of the stay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelgal3183
MarketPavilionGM, General Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Thank you very much for your review. We take all comments very seriously and appreciate your time, giving us your feedback.
You commented that you were looking forward to our amenities; our rooms are over 400 square feet, so I am not sure why you found them to be cramped, as they are larger than most hotel rooms. As you experienced, the rooms include a brightly polished mahogany foyer that introduces an opulent guestroom in old Charleston-style; as well as heavy plaster crown molding, original paintings, old-world decor and fine, and rich fabrics. We are proud of the exquisite mahogany furniture in each room that also features poster beds; marble topped bedside tables, a desk area and a sitting area, as well as the French bath amenities from Hermes. I am sure you found the location convenient as well. Being located in the epicenter of downtown Charleston certainly makes shopping and sightseeing very convenient. I hope you found these to exceed your expectations.
I am sorry that you had a problem with the staff. Obviously if I knew who left this impression, I would deal with the individual immediately. We work very hard to ensure the staff understands and provides positive guest experiences, and I know most of our associates try very hard to accomplish that goal. I am pleased however that you found our Pavilion Bar experience to be a positive one.
Thank you again for your feedback; we will continue to strive to meet expectations!
Augusta Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

We love this hotel for many reasons and return each year for our anniversary. My husband goes up each morning to the roof to watch the British Open on the bar TV and we LOVE the pool. With all the wonderful choices in Charleston, we find ourselves spending the majority of our 4 day trip at the hotel, on the roof, chatting and relaxing with the uber-friendly staff . Its a testament to the hotel that the same faces are there to greet us, year after year, know us by name, and make us feel so at home.The food is ridiculously good- the Pavillion Bar or the 225- even room service one night when it flooded! The beds are exqusite- the hotel lobby is grand and immaculate, but the personality of the hotel is pure southern hospitality. Wish we were there now- hope to be back soon!

Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

This hotel has great potential, but lacks exclusivity. The room was fine. The location is great. Valet was good, since there is no parking. The pastries in the morning were very good.

We went there because we wanted to use the pool and the bar on the roof. This is where the hotel fails. There are too few deck chairs and no attempt to restrict pool access to guests. The roof bar is open to the public and no attempt is made to either reserve tables for hotel guests or establish a waiting list. I should have stayed elsewhere and used the pool and bar like everyone else.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GamecockFanColumbia
MarketPavilionGM, Manager at Market Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2009
I am very glad you were happy with your room. As you experienced, our rooms include a brightly polished mahogany foyer that introduces an opulent guestroom in old Charleston-style; as well as heavy plaster crown molding, original paintings, old-world decor and fine, and rich fabrics. We are proud of the exquisite mahogany furniture in each room that also features poster beds; marble topped bedside tables, a desk area and a sitting area. I also appreciate you finding the location convenient as well. Being located in the epicenter of downtown Charleston certainly makes shopping and sightseeing very convenient. You are correct when you mention that parking is difficult to find. As in many downtown locations, public parking always seems to be a challenge; that is why we have provided not only a convenient but a secured parking garage for our guests, staffed with valets to make coming and going as easy as possible. Finally because our pastry chef prepares only the freshest pastries and breads each morning I am sure is the main ingredient of your satisfaction with our complimentary continental sideboard breakfast.
We are very proud of our rooftop pool and Pavilion Bar with its’ scenic views and wonderful menu. I appreciate your comment regarding the number of chairs at the pool. Just like the old saying of (building a church for Easter Sunday), we have tried to ensure we always have the right number of chairs for our guests. Occasionally the numbers of guests do exceed the number of chairs and we then try to react accordingly. The number of guests enjoying the pool continues to flow during the day and if a chair is not available at one time, another usually becomes available within a short time. Because the Pavilion Bar has such a great view of the harbor and the ships coming and going as well as incredible food, many locals as well as hotel guests make it one of their, must stops, when they are in town. Popularity sometimes does come with its own set of challenges. Thank you again for your comments, and we will continue to be aware and to strive to provide the best service available.
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

This was by far the worse hotel experience I have ever had. Charleston is a lovely city and my friend who lives in Charleston suggested that I stay at other hotels. Well, what I should have done was listened to her and read the terrible reviews of this hotel (and the very defensive hotel management reactions to the bad reviews). In any event for other travelers who are smart enough to read reviews of hotels on tripadvisor here's the characteristics of my hotel stay: Bad check-in experience -- the room was bad and when I attempted to switch the front desk manager very combative. But basically, I found the staff very unfreindly, except for the charming door-man. Uncomfortable room with a stain on the carpet. The person I was traveling with put it this way " If I treated any of my customers this way, I would loose them all". When I brought the complaint to management's attention, they simply suggested I move to another hotel. This technique of management to ask complaining but well intentioned guests to leave is an experience shared by all to many reviewers of this hotel on Trip-Advisor. Even my friend who lives in Charleston and stayed with her husband at this hotel once (before their house was ready) said the same thing -- She attempted to bring to management's attention problems at the hotel -- and the hotel suggested they move. Visit Charleston, but take a pass on this hotel.

4 Thank Polena10
Richmond VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

Stayed at the Market Pavillion Hotel 7/12/2009 thru 7/14/2009. This was our 4th stay in the past two years at the hotel. Concierge level is the only way to stay at this hotel IMHO. Concierge service is stellar, food is amazing, and is well worth the incremental cost of the room. Rooms were spotless, beds extremely comfortable, and all services outstanding. Ate at 225 Restaurant in lobby on previous visit, and had one of the best meals ever there. This time ate on the rooftop, and had a spectacular dinner there. Spending at least one meal (and several happy hours) on the rooftop is a great use of time. Make sure you use internet to book reservation - special enables you to have $75 meal coupon that can be used either on the rooftop or at 225 Restaurant. If you like staying in old classic hotels that have been fabulously renovated, with great food and service right in the heart of the Charleston marketplace, this hotel is for you. Clearly my family's #1 spot to stay while in the Charleston area.

NEW ALBANY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

Great location at the intersection of everything. Excellent, friendly staff. Rooms could use a thorough cleaning. Several stains on furniture, drapes and carpet. Bedding and bathroom were very clean and well kept. The chambermaid was excellent. As many other reviews have stated, the roof top pool is a boon and a disappointment at the same time. It is a boon because it offers a great view, bar, food, pool. It is disappointing because the pool closes at/around 4:00pm and then it turns into nearly 100% bar scene. If that is your thing, that's great. But if you have young adult children and want to grab a nice dinner and catch the late evening stars it's another story. We attempted to go up anyway the first night, and were told there was an age limit of 21. I think with some inspirational nudging you get a seat anyway, but you would certainly feel uncomfortable. That was probably the biggest disappointment for me. The fire alarm went off for a few minutes three times during our seven day stay, but it was during the early evening and late morning and was no big deal to us.....other than a short scare. They did offer the best rate for this caliber of hotel, and they offered several other discount options that made it very enticing. So enticing, that we switched reservations from Charleston Place the week before our trip. I would really struggle with the notion of returning here again. Great hotel and location, but the whole situation with the roof top bar/pool/etc is a real problem for me.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family