“Great value......friendly people, close to Charleston sites”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Orlando, Florida
“Great value......friendly people, close to Charleston sites”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Took my Mom to Charleston, and decided to try Notso, as I have had positive experiences at other hostels around the country. I loved the friendly atmosphere at NOTSO, and would visit again with my teenage daughter. I am in my 40's and Mom is 72, and we were the oldest guests there, but all were very friendly, although a bit noisy. We did not feel super-safe walking to restaurants from the hostel location, but did walk our first evening, and had not problems. Private room was tiny, and full size bed seemed tiny too, but it was fine. Only wish the bed had a mattress cover, or mattress pad of some kind.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Notso Hostel with a friend during our Spring Break. We stayed in the 4 person sleeper for the first two nights of our trip. Each bed had some clean sheets, pillow cases, a pillow and a blanket to sleep under. It was a little small, but very clean and we slept great, as well as met some really nice people each night. On our final night there, we slept in a 2 person private room. It was also very nice. Each room is individualy decorated and very cozy. The staff at the front were very nice and helpful (most of the time lol). My personal computer was unable to access the wifi there but, lobbly also had a computer available for the guests to use and some free maps, which were very helpful. The hostel's location is on Spring Street, which is not the worst, but also not the best street in the area. I was still able to walk back to the hostel after dark with no problems. Breakfast included a selection of 5-6 different types of bagels and free coffee, which was enough to tide us over until lunch. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Notso. I would not hesitate to stay there again if I ever get the chance to return to the Charleston area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I had a great time. Met some new friends and I loved the breakfast! I hope to be back someday.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I'm a student at the University of South Carolina Columbia campus and recently took a weekend trip to Charleston with two of my friends. We stayed in a four person co-ed room and were very happy with our accommodation. The bedroom was small but it fit two bunk beds comfortable and we even had room to play some Scrabble. We also shared a living room/kitchen area with a single bedroom. It was so cute! It was also small but very cozy. A couch, refrigerator, stove, microwave, and small table and chairs. The best part was the porch access from our room that allowed us to go sit outside and play cards in the beautiful weather. It was a little chilly since it was February but still amazing. The area that the NotSo Hostel is located in is pretty good. My friends and I walked down to King Street and the Battery one day and those were both very close. We also walked to all the restaurants that we ate at. However, if you walked down a couple blocks down Spring Street the neighborhood got a little sketchy. I felt perfectly safe walking around during the day but I didn't choose to take that route once it got dark. Overall my friends and I couldn't have been happier. We got lucky to find such a welcoming, adorable little hostel. Definitely give it a shot!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2011

By far the most accomodating, friendly, and homely hostel I have had yet to stay at. Groovy people, beautiful buildings, and enough nutella to feed a small army. Be sure to say a friendly hello to Vicki and Leo the tammy for anyone who makes it to Charleston for this delightful visit. Seconds from downtown, a sun drenched porch, and a healthy number of buddha statues and inspirational posters :) make this place a perfect hostel in my opinion. Easy to find, easy to sleep, easy to love.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Notso Hostel is a really special place. My husband and I wanted to come to Charleston for the weekend, but since we are both graduate students, we couldn't really afford to pay the $200/night rates (or more!) that Charleston hotels tend to charge. We had a friend that had stayed at Notso Hostel and loved it.
We were really pleasantly surprised - the staff are really friendly, we got our own private room, and a fab breakfast (bagels, almond butter, nutella!) in the morning. The "feel" of the place is really homey - I'd definitely recommend this place for people who want to meet others and swap traveling stories. It's also located in a cool area - fairly close to downtown, but in less touristy area. There is an awesome restaurant, Hominy, close by.
We already reserved a room for our next stay in Charleston!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KateMarmot
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2011

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in in the US- friendly staff,clean,good location,yummy free breakfast. All good

• Stayed February 2011