“More Than What I Paid For”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Boston, Massachusetts
“More Than What I Paid For”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed for a few days at the Notso Hostel's Annex property. The annex is in a hip part of town that's close to bars, shops, and restaurants, and to the expressways and bridges that provide access to other parts of the Charleston Metro Area. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the annex -- it truly felt like I was staying at a friend's house, and not at all like I was staying at a hostel. Bathrooms were clean and stocked with leftover toiletries. Although my room was small (I stayed in the Monet room), it was perfect for a solo traveler and would be fine for a couple that has packed lightly. Fresh linens were provided, as were towels. The only downsides to the room itself were its location adjacent to a public porch, which made for some noise at night, and the lack of a closet or other area to store luggage or clothing. That said, a washing machine, drier, and iron are provided for communal use, which was a pleasant surprise.

The most memorable part of my experience, though, was the service. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was always pleasant and helpful when I would run into them during the day. At the end of my trip, I accidentally left my computer bag at the hostel, and upon notifying them, they located it and then shipped the bag to my home. I have stayed at many properties of a higher price that I would not have expected to do this; also, it's a testament to the safety of the place that my bag was still in the common area, untouched, over 6 hours after I had checked out. I would highly recommend this property to anyone who's looking to get a feel for the people, architecture, and culture of Charleston without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have less noise, but the rooms on the bottom floor seem to be a bit more priv...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank plohaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great location, simple accommodations. I found NotSo hostel to be very friendly, I got to meet and converse with three other people staying at the hostel over my 9 day stay and those conversations are what can make travel special. Additionally, Nicole the hostess of the Annex was around to answer questions and just spend a bit of time talking about living in Charleston with her amazing dog Saatchi... She was a great hostel hostess, (not hostel at all). She was super helpful recommending places to dine and explore.

And then there was the price. I saved a substantial sum by staying at the hostel, like about 35% less than ANY hotel I could find and that was with ample time to reserve a room. The annex in particular is in a great location, I rented from the bike shop (affordabike) on the corner and had a great visit and chance to feel like I belonged in town.

Accommodations are spartan, that is maybe to be expected, it is called a hostel after all and not a b&b or hotel. But the room was comfortable and clean, reasonably quite at night, shared bathroom did not present a problem and the folks staying there seemed to know how to be respectful. Plenty of towels and hot water were available and having a chance to at least cook one meal rather than eating out every night was a luxury for my digestive system. There are some great grocery stores not too far away. I would recommend staying here, enjoy and experience living the simple life for a few days.

Room Tip: Bukowski. One word. But you may not be able to pick his room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobbyWoz
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Annex which was a great location and price. However, the bathrooms were filthy with the trashcans overflowing, and the showers and sinks covered in hair and mildew. They did not appear to have not been cleaned in weeks. One of the staff members had an unsupervised dog roaming in and out of the guests rooms. The rooms were small and only fit for 2 people, maximum. Overall the staff did not seem to take care of the property well.

• Stayed April 2014
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We have since had the bathrooms deep cleaned (scrubbed showers, tile floors, sinks, etc.) and they are cleaned every morning, along with the trash being emptied. Satchi is the dog you speak of and she normally does not go into guests rooms, so I apologize about that and she will be watched more closely. The staff and I deeply care for the hostel and we are working on our systems to improve the stay for every guest. We hope you'll come back and see all the changes we've made.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am so grateful for the hostel experience, location, and price! I only wish the owners made a bit more effort to take pride in what they have here. Simple inexpensive conveniences would go along way! (Mind you I am not a college kid anymore and am traveling with my eight and nine year old.) I would recommend a towel hook or two in the bathrooms and maybe twice a day cleaning of the bathrooms and emptying of the trash cans. These simple things would communicate a sense of pride in ownership. Without then you have a feeling of fraternity house living. Also you can't tell the staff from the guests which makes it difficult to locate someone if questions arise. They sell great tshirts which the staff could wear when working-just another little change that would have a large impact. I am a business owner and believe if you take pride in you service the sky is the limit:). To end on an extremely positive note, I felt safe and welcomed with my two children along for the ride:). Thank you for your truly brilliant idea of providing a safe, inexpensive, local experience in Charleston-one of my favorite cities!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lisarivers4
Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay as did your children. We have added a towel bar and we empty the trash every morning, however checking them at night would be a good task to add to our routine. We hope you come and visit us again in the future.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 April 2014

By far the best backpackers we stayed in down the east coast. Quiet, civilised, breakfast included, and a great location. Nice rooms and great feel. Totally loved it. Staying here and strolling into central Charleston was a highlight - though note that it is a decent walk.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sminchnz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a private room (India) which was pleasantly decorated and wasn't noisy at night. Great little kitchen area adjacent to the room and the building had plenty of charm. Wifi reached the whole property and there was lots of parking space.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was my first staying at a hostel, so I was quite nervous but the NotSo Hostel turned out to be a great experience! First, the location is great - only a ten minute walk from King Street. The dorm room (I stayed in the biggest dorm: Andrew Adams) was clean and follow travelers were extremely considerate. The bathrooms were decently clean ... however, the one thing I would suggest thou is installing a towel bar into the bathroom that is closest to the staff kitchen! I struggled to find a good place to keep my towel in there and there is plenty of space on the wall to accommodate a bar.
The kitchens are clean and you can leave food in the community fridge - they even provide labels. Also free breakfast is provided from around 8am-10am with an assortment of bagels, muffins, etc. Thou the best part of breakfast is getting to talk with follow travelers. I met several awesome people at the hostel who made my travel experience even better! Overall, I would definitely recommend the NotSo Hostel and I look forward to staying here again on my next visit to Charleston. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your review! Thank you for your suggestion about the towel bar, we have added one and so glad you enjoyed your stay.