“love it”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Reviewed 13 June 2014

first and foremost, i would like to give special props to nicole. i ended up in charleston to meet a friend who was unable to make it. i didn't know what to do, see, where to go...etc. nicole made my stay memorable. she told me all the great spots to hit up and personally made sure my days were fun filled(love the rooftop bars, and her suggestions of restaurants) . i told her i liked climbing and she mentioned an indoor climbing gym right off king. the hostel itself is very warm and inviting, located a mere 5 min walk to king street. having breakfast was one of my favorite times, everyone in the hostel is so friendly...and it rubs off!! i loved my stay there and next time I'm in town, i will definitly book my stay there.

Room Tip: the one with the door to the front deck
There are newer reviews for Charleston's NotSo Hostel

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Definitely one of the best experiences I’ve had staying anywhere on the east coast! It’s tough to find a place to stay nowadays that makes you feel like you’re being treated like a guest in the true sense of the word as opposed to just a source of income. That being said, my stay at the NotSo Hostel was a breath of fresh air and I had a great time in Charleston largely due to my stay.

The location of the main building is great and especially convenient if you don’t plan on traveling or getting around town by car. My room and all of the provided linens were spotlessly clean, free breakfast was a nice touch, fellow travelers were super friendly, and the receptionists were accommodating to say the very least. One of the staff members working during my stay, Nicole, directed me toward some amazing places to eat and things to check out in the area, and after her shift, took myself and a few guests out for drinks at a few of her favorite bars. You can’t ever expect that kind of hospitality from a chain hotel concierge.

Unless you’ve got some strange aversion to meeting awesome new people, paying a reasonable amount of money for a night’s rest, or getting to see things from a local’s perspective, I honestly can’t understand why you’d stay elsewhere when visiting Charleston.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Annex. The bathroom was small but private and immaculately cleaned. The staff was OUTSTANDING! In the annex there is an on-sight-staff member named Nicole P. and She was so detail oriented. My date and I are from Ohio and she made sure that our accommodations, directions and comfort was well taken care off! I would promote this to anyone that wants to stay in a beautiful, safe and cultured city for a great price!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center or swimming pool but you are ten minutes from the beach and you're i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in a private room in the annex and loved it! It was clean and comfortable. It was in a great location within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shops. Nicole was super friendly and fun to talk to. She made sure we had everything we needed to be comfortable and made it feel like home. i really enjoyed meeting all the other guests staying there as well. It was a great atmosphere of community. This was my first time staying in hostel and it was a great experience! I highly recommend this place and I hope to return some day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had a great stay at Notso Hostel. I stayed a 4 bed suite in the back behind the main house. It was like a tiny house with full kitchen and bath. The kitchen and bath were shared with 2 other rooms but it was never crowded or anything.

That staff was super cool too! Nicole, I think that was her name, was extremely nice and went out her way to make everyones' stay awesome.

They also have one of the best breakfasts I've seen at a hostel. I would/have recommended this hostel to others!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed in a private room in the annex, which is grungy and poorly maintained. The rooms are miniscule, barely big enough for a bed (mattress wrapped in horrible black plastic) and one chair. Not even a hook for towel/clothes. For a bit more $$, you can do WAY better on airbnb or vrbo or a cheap hotel/motel. $75/night is a rip-off for what it is.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Most people stay in a hostel for the community aspect, there are other options that may be cheaper and here we focus on simple, clean accommodation. We provide our guests with many things that other hotels or guest stays do not such as free breakfast, free internet, printer, washer dryer, communal space to meet other travelers, wifi and more. As you can see from several of the other reviews (particularly the annex) most travelers love staying there. Hostels are not for everyone and we understand and are sad that it did not meet your comfort level, we do hope that you'll come and visit us again and give it another try.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our experience was decent, but not great. Good location and friendly staff. Bathroom pretty clean, room basic but nice with a ceiling fan, great porches on the buildings. However, check-in was only from 5-10, which we and many others arriving in late afternoon did not realize (this info was not emailed to us with reservation confirmation or highlighted on website). When we finally checked-in, we were not automatically given the towel we paid for or the internet passcode, and the limited hours (and our travel plans) made it challenging to connect with the front desk to do so during our two night stay. Also, we were charged a different amount from our original confirmed rate. Quite disorganized.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you stayed with us and apologize that you didn't receive the email the night before check in with the wifi code, check in hours and parking information. It's on an automatic email system, so perhaps we didn't have the correct email address for you. We hope that you'll come and visit us in the future and we'll get the right email this time:)