“Good budget stay near downtown Charleston”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

For the price, you absolutely can't beat this place. It's biking distance to downtown, breakfast is included, and free parking!

I will say however, that the main house is not for the germaphobe. It's not sparkling clean and there's some places that could really use some deep cleaning.

We stayed in the Carissa room. It's upstairs in the main house, right next to the porch. There were a few times that the bathroom was occupied during our 4 day stay bad people were pretty open about not wearing bras in the common areas and going up to their room in just a towel from the bathroom.

Having said all of that, we would def stay again. Next time we would try the apartment in the annex after reading how clean the annex was, (and we would like the extra privacy for a few bucks more.) But a great stay nonetheless. Thanks Notso hostel!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank amberlygaillard

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I've been to a few hostels in my day and NotSo in Charleston places itself amongst the top. From a great staff, to the cozy and clean rooms, and of course the location- you cant go wrong here. When I showed up I knew right away I had made a good decision after Vikki welcomed me in like a long lost family member who had been away.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

first and foremost, i would like to give special props to nicole. i ended up in charleston to meet a friend who was unable to make it. i didn't know what to do, see, where to go...etc. nicole made my stay memorable. she told me all the great spots to hit up and personally made sure my days were fun filled(love the rooftop bars, and her suggestions of restaurants) . i told her i liked climbing and she mentioned an indoor climbing gym right off king. the hostel itself is very warm and inviting, located a mere 5 min walk to king street. having breakfast was one of my favorite times, everyone in the hostel is so friendly...and it rubs off!! i loved my stay there and next time I'm in town, i will definitly book my stay there.

Room Tip: the one with the door to the front deck
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Definitely one of the best experiences I’ve had staying anywhere on the east coast! It’s tough to find a place to stay nowadays that makes you feel like you’re being treated like a guest in the true sense of the word as opposed to just a source of income. That being said, my stay at the NotSo Hostel was a breath of fresh air and I had a great time in Charleston largely due to my stay.

The location of the main building is great and especially convenient if you don’t plan on traveling or getting around town by car. My room and all of the provided linens were spotlessly clean, free breakfast was a nice touch, fellow travelers were super friendly, and the receptionists were accommodating to say the very least. One of the staff members working during my stay, Nicole, directed me toward some amazing places to eat and things to check out in the area, and after her shift, took myself and a few guests out for drinks at a few of her favorite bars. You can’t ever expect that kind of hospitality from a chain hotel concierge.

Unless you’ve got some strange aversion to meeting awesome new people, paying a reasonable amount of money for a night’s rest, or getting to see things from a local’s perspective, I honestly can’t understand why you’d stay elsewhere when visiting Charleston.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Annex. The bathroom was small but private and immaculately cleaned. The staff was OUTSTANDING! In the annex there is an on-sight-staff member named Nicole P. and She was so detail oriented. My date and I are from Ohio and she made sure that our accommodations, directions and comfort was well taken care off! I would promote this to anyone that wants to stay in a beautiful, safe and cultured city for a great price!

Room Tip: There is no fitness center or swimming pool but you are ten minutes from the beach and you're i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed in a private room in the annex and loved it! It was clean and comfortable. It was in a great location within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shops. Nicole was super friendly and fun to talk to. She made sure we had everything we needed to be comfortable and made it feel like home. i really enjoyed meeting all the other guests staying there as well. It was a great atmosphere of community. This was my first time staying in hostel and it was a great experience! I highly recommend this place and I hope to return some day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I had a great stay at Notso Hostel. I stayed a 4 bed suite in the back behind the main house. It was like a tiny house with full kitchen and bath. The kitchen and bath were shared with 2 other rooms but it was never crowded or anything.

That staff was super cool too! Nicole, I think that was her name, was extremely nice and went out her way to make everyones' stay awesome.

They also have one of the best breakfasts I've seen at a hostel. I would/have recommended this hostel to others!