“A nice stay in an ok part of town”

Charleston's NotSo Hostel
Reviewed 15 August 2014

It's not as central as I'd hoped but Charleston have a free trolley that was only a block away.

The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly, the breakfast is ok (just bagels) and the shared bathrooms aren't too crowded, although the bathroom lock was broken.

Over all it was ok not amazing... But worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
notsohostel, Manager at Charleston's NotSo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We got the lock fixed on the bathroom door, our maintenance man came as soon as he was free. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you visit us again in the future!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

They made it LOOK and SOUND like you were getting a nice comfy room and meeting great friends. Instead it seemed more like a prison cell. NOT exaggerating here. Incredibly tight quarters, staff was really unhelpful and when I tried to bring it up the manager lady, she blew it off. Tip: go elsewhere! Place was disgusting

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. I apologize you didn't enjoy your stay. As you can see from other reviews, some say that it is so spacious and others say that it is tighter quarters than they are comfortable with. Our four person dorm rooms are very large and so is the eight person dorm room but that being said, I understand that hostels are not for everyone. We hope that you'll come and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This isnt my first stay in a hostel - but geez was this place rough! There were cockroaches and flies everywhere I went -- which I guess is nice to have company? Becuase no one else was company haha. Really tho - freakin' filthy.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We have both of our locations sprayed by Terminix and I haven't seen any insects, however I apologize that you did while you were here. As to the friendliness of other guests, it really does depend and fluctuate with who is traveling at the moment. I hope that you'll come and visit us in the future and see how bug free and friendly we are:)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Annex of the NotSo Hostel couple days ago, and were utterly disappointed. There was no air conditioner and the fan in our room didn't work. Mind you, it was 32 degrees Celsius. In addition, the windows barely opened. There was also no one to ask about the fan or windows - the hostel's description says that there is a hostel worker available in the morning and late afternoon, but we never saw anyone in the staff room. When we checked in at the main location (Spring street) they said breakfast is included, but no one ever mentioned that the breakfast is a "self-serve oatmeal breakfast." (we found this out later, from their website). In the kitchen there were at least 3 signs but not a single one of them said "this is where you can find the oatmeal, please feel free to prepare yourself some." In other words, there was no way we would've known how and where to prepare the breakfast that is included in the room price. 80 dollars! That's the other thing. So expensive for a hostel! However Charleston is overall pretty expensive so that explains the price. Just to say something good as well - our room and the bathrooms were clean.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It was very hot that day! And the AC did break that evening, we had it promptly repaired the next day so we apologize for the heat. The outside of the cabinets in the annex are labeled with the breakfast items and there are also breakfast items left out on the counter. Your review is helpful in that we can make some signs and be more clear about where to find breakfast and what it is. Our annex guests are always welcome to come to the main location for breakfast, and we do stock bagels and toppings in the fridge at the annex with a sign on it. Our office hours for the morning and night are at the main location and at the annex we have a live in staff that has her phone number posted in several locations if you needed any help while you were there. I'm glad that the annex was clean and you enjoyed the location, we hope that you'll visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We love staying in hostels and are pretty easily pleased.
Our stay at the NotSo Hostel Annex was really a bummer.
I can't speak for the main building, but we were very disappointed with the lack of cleanliness in the Annex. I know some things are unavoidable, but dirty restrooms, floors, stacks of dirty dishes, etc are so easily cleaned, I can't understand why they were left so dirty. We gave it a chance and stayed for a night, but were more than anxious to leave the next morning.
On a positive note, I will say the Annex is in a great location. It was about 3 blocks from King Street, and the neighborhood was great.

Overall, I'd say book somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. As you can see from previous reviews, the hostel is usually very clean and you might have caught us on an off day. I apologize you didn't enjoy your stay and hope you'll come and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Notso Hostel Annex provided a home away from home. It is located just a couple of blocks from King Street's top restaurants and bars, the Visitor's Center, the free trolly transportation, the Charleston Museum, and more. It's proximity allows one to stop back late afternoon, refresh oneself, and share wine, appetizers, and stories before going back out into the tourism catch all. The kitchen is open 24/7 if one wants to cook a night "at home." Hostel living is special...more do it yourself than Hotel living. That's what makes it special. The staff is available "always," on the premises or via text or phone call. The Annex is a big bang for the bucks, and will be a favorite spot to which I will return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are closer to the shared bathrooms. Heat rises, so the rooms on the fir...