“Breathtaking Location, Delightfully Historic”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We chose this inn based on other great reviews and we were not disappointed! I am surprised that there were a few negative reviews though. Maybe I can address some of the issues they raised and hopefully clarify a few things. Let me begin by saying this is not the Ritz Carlton. I gave The Inn at Middleton Inn 5 stars because - for its category - it suprassed our expectations. This is a unique and charming property in an unparalleled location - directly on the Ashley River and adjacent to historic Middleton Plantation with its stunning gardens and family home ($36 entry fee p/p included with your room rate! A significant value right there).

As for the room rate, we found it to be significantly cheaper than downtown Charleston! In fact, at about $135 a night before tax, we felt like we were getting a bargain. Having access to the grounds at the plantation is a HUGE plus. I have not experienced the other gardens in the area (Magnolia Plantation is a stone's throw away), but I have been to some incredible castle gardens in Europe... as well as Monticello and Mount Vernon in the U.S., and the Middleton Place gardens hold their own.

Free and easy access to all of this beauty is a unique feature which I haven't experienced at any other inn so I give it high marks for that.

The setting is so tranquil, I can say I actually enjoyed being on the hotel property more than I did my first excursion into downtown Charleston, although that was also fantastic. I was just extremely grateful to "come home" to Middleton Place.

Other great values:
*A very generous "Happy Hour" from 5-7 pm with complimentary beer, wine and snacks including an assortment of cheeses, crackers, fruit, chips and queso.

*Complimentary "Healthy Start" breakfast. I agree with some reviewers who said this isn't the best free breakfast they've ever had, but it's decent and you can get a cooked-to order hot breakfast for about $10. The setting for the breakfast room is lovely, huge glass windows overlooking trees.

*Free and ample parking.

Other notes:

Our room was extremely clean - no dust, bugs or leaves. A few people did complain about the smoky smell from the fireplace. We definitely did exprerience that, too - as soon as I stepped into the room, in fact. I am very sensitive to smells, especially smoke, so I understand how that could be an issue for some people. But I guess I was charmed by the overall experience, so I was able to overlook that.

The design of the buildings is also very unique. If Frank Lloyd Wright designed a dormitory, it might look and feel something like this. The rooms are bright with floor-to-ceiling windows and are sparsely - but nicely - furnished. Sort of made me feel like I was in a Danish Chalet or something. The emphasis is definitely on the outdoors.

A point of contention with some reviewers seems to be the bathrooms. My husband and I actually thought they were cool, although they are not typical and far from luxurious. Ours was very clean. The bathtub is basically a tiled, rectangular concrete block - which was cool to shower in but I was never tempted to soak in it. It was also very clean.

Other pluses were: warm and friendly service from the entire staff, a fine dining on-site restaurant (resevrations needed), and a snack bar in the main lodge where we could get inexpensive sandwiches.

NOTE: We stayed on the first floor, but there are a lot of steep stairs to get to the second floor units - something to think about if you have a problem walking.

In a nutshell, if you want a charming getaway in the country that's also just 20 minutes from downtown - this is it!!!!

4  Thank liveoutloud
There are newer reviews for Inn at Middleton Place

Reviewed 5 May 2011

It's just the most wonderfully peaceful spot, with the accommodation buildings set among the trees and along the river. But it's not cheap and the price would lead you to expect a luxurious standard that isn't delivered. Our room was on the second floor, with a steep set of narrow stairs up which to negotiate out suitcases. There were signs of damp penetrating from the roof into the bathroom. But the bath, basin, lavatory and floor were all clean. The main room has a cabin-like feel, so perfect cleanliness is perhaps not to be expected, but it was well appointed. Ours did have its own internet router, so there was no problem with wifi. The silence at night is breathtaking, and a good night's sleep is guaranteed.

Reviewed 27 April 2011

When planning a place to stay I always check for an interesting location, great food (I LOVE FOOD!) and certainly a clean and comfortable room. When I decided to spend my first vacation in a LONG TIME with the Inn at Middleton Place I was very excited! Not only did it meet my list of needs, the service and entire experience exceeded every expectation! Everyone was so kind, anticipating needs and where else can you go wandering though the most beautiful gardens on the planet (YES the Planet!) before the gates open to the public? How cool! Everything from the picnic blanket for lunch to the yummy breakfast breads and coffee was perfect. The evening reception by the fire with a personable bartender to the bike ride around the grounds was just wonderful. An escape in time and a perfect rest for my busy life.

Room Tip: Email reservations ahead of time, they are helpful
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We went down to stay for our anniversary because we got married at Magnolia Plantation right down the road. The hotel design and area are all gorgeous if maybe a little run down. We didn't enjoy the gardens at Middleton nearly as much as Magnolia and it was pretty touristy, so the prices matched that.

Our hotel room was pretty dirty. We ended up going to town and buying cleaning supplies to clean the floors and tub. There was a VERY strong smoke smell because of the fireplace. The sheets appeared to have been slept in before. There were also bugs on most of the linens and towels, which I guess was to be expected for the location.

The staff were not unkind, however they were very inattentive. Most ignored us until directly confronted, especially at breakfast because we chose the included 'healthy start' breakfast (we've had much better continental breakfasts before at Holiday Inns). We went to the lodge during normal operating hours to get a sandwich for lunch and ended up waiting 30 mins for just someone to come over.

We had high hopes based on others reviews, however I think we both would have been more happy staying at a lower priced hotel in West Ashley.

3  Thank KT042010
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Our two nights and three days at the inn were wonderful. The handsome modern buildings, with floor-to-ceiling windows (with shutters for privacy), spacious bathroom and other comforts, are nicely tucked into the landscape. Our room overlooked the Ashley River, and had a fireplace that was closed for the season but would be a delightful amenity in the winter. The fact that Mother Nature laid on perfect weather was a real plus, as we were eager to explore the gardens at Middleton Place and nearby Magnolia Plantation. Guests at the inn receive free admission to Middleton Place, another advantage.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My wife and I stayed at the inn for our third anniversary, and we were extremely disappointed. The pictures on the website mislead you into beleiving that the property is well maintained, it certainly is not. Our room had cracks in the wall and the ceiling in the bathroom, the wood floor looked liked it had not been cleaned and polished in forever, the windows were absolutely filthy, and there was soap scum and residue on all of the bathroom fixtures. None of the chrome fixtures sparkled even a little. The food was ok, but certainly not the calibur that you would expect from a bed and breakfast. As we were checking out another guest complained that when the guest above him flushed the toilet, the ceiling in his bathroom leaked. The plantation is nice, but if you don't want to get burned, DON'T STAY AT THE INN.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
8  Thank BTM2011
Reviewed 25 April 2011

The Inn is located a little outside Charleston in a tranquil location that takes you back to the days of old! We were so impressed with the service, food and grounds that we extended our stay an extra day. This property made us zip through The Charleston sites quickly so we could go back and experience more of the peacefulness of Middleton Place. We never ran out of things to see or do and did not want to leave. Everything on our trip after The Inn at Middleton Place, has paled in comparison to our stay there. This property is so much more than a room with a view, this is a peaceful, relaxing and engaging experience that is magical!

• Stayed: April 2011